Friday morning Other opener 2019

kalifire

25 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Coral probably more popular than the Cardigans in the U.K.  

Although the Cardigans have sold 15m albums worldwide. The Coral have not. 

Cardigans would get the opening gig...Coral would not as they aren't that type...they would get like 2nd/3rd but that's not because they are the bigger deal.

Just now, thewayiam said:

Cardigans would get the opening gig...Coral would not as they aren't that type...they would get like 2nd/3rd but that's not because they are the bigger deal.

I’m not advocating the Cardigans for that slot. 

FWIW I don’t think for one second the Cardigans would take that slot if they were offered it. I’ll inevitably get shot down, but they’re too big for it. 

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Why are people talking about The Cardigans playing Glastonbury at all? Some kind of in-joke, or are they touring around it, or hinted at it? They won't be opening the Other Stage at any rate - not because they're too big/small or anything, but because they'd be a bizarre fit for it.

No idea. 

And, yep, you’re perfectly right. 

They are touring the U.K. as it happens, but only next month. 

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Why are people talking about The Cardigans playing Glastonbury at all? Some kind of in-joke, or are they touring around it, or hinted at it? They won't be opening the Other Stage at any rate - not because they're too big/small or anything, but because they'd be a bizarre fit for it.

Nah it was my suggestion at first. Just saw they were touring and thought they were something fairly lowkey and existing somewhere between The Pretenders and the 90’s rock bands. Don’t see what’d be so weird about it given their size, the slot’s predecessors and Nina Persson playing the fest a few years ago. Was never anything more than my suggestion; we just got dragged into a classic eFestivals “who’s bigger?” argument.

38 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

I am convinced Coral are the band that most punters couldn't name a single song from, but have highest number of familiar songs

Never seen a crap Coral gig, they have so many great tunes

Saw them last year for the first time at a mini festival in Brum. They were superb. Goodbye sounded incredible, such a powerful guitar sound at the beginning. Would absolutely love to see them at GF!

3 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

That Franz Ferdinand/Sparks thing they did a couple of years back would be great fun.

And that’s what the Friday other opener should be about. Recently James and the pretenders were good choices. It’s all about kicking off the weekend with a bit of lightweight rock. After that then there’s plenty of choice everywhere to find the genre that suits your tastes. Personally I’d like to see the ray Davies/Kinks, good summer tunes that most everyone likes.

1 hour ago, dingbat2 said:

I am convinced Coral are the band that most punters couldn't name a single song from, but have highest number of familiar songs

Never seen a crap Coral gig, they have so many great tunes

Surely most people know Dreaming of You by name?

40 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

And that’s what the Friday other opener should be about. Recently James and the pretenders were good choices. It’s all about kicking off the weekend with a bit of lightweight rock. After that then there’s plenty of choice everywhere to find the genre that suits your tastes. Personally I’d like to see the ray Davies/Kinks, good summer tunes that most everyone likes.

The Kinks could potentially headline the whole festival (sub Pyramid or Legends Slot at the least). No chance of them opening the Other Stage.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Surely most people know Dreaming of You by name?

I bet they don't. If you ask most people what they thought of the song Dreaming of You they wouldn't have a clue what song you were talking about or who did it

Play a few bars of the intro and they will now the song and will be popping along to it

Franz Ferdinand gotta be like 4th down Other. Not someone I'd end my night with but would be happy to see them late afternoon. Missed them at Mad Cool to stand in a tent for an hour waiting for Massive Attack to not bother coming on stage. I saw them come out and open with Do You Want To > The Dark of the Matinée and it sounded good.

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Franz Ferdinand gotta be like 4th down Other. Not someone I'd end my night with but would be happy to see them late afternoon. Missed them at Mad Cool to stand in a tent for an hour waiting for Massive Attack to not bother coming on stage. I saw them come out and open with Do You Want To > The Dark of the Matinée and it sounded good.

Can't believe I persevered waiting for Massive Attack. Hope Franz are there so I can apologise. 

1 hour ago, dingbat2 said:

I bet they don't. If you ask most people what they thought of the song Dreaming of You they wouldn't have a clue what song you were talking about or who did it

Play a few bars of the intro and they will now the song and will be popping along to it

And then, eyes lighting up in recognition, they would probably reel off a load of song titles such as "Dirty Dancehall", "You Will, You Won't", "Gotta Keep The Feeling In" and "Zuton Fever".

3 hours ago, dingbat2 said:

In the morning was more of a pop classic on tv ads and all that though?

Still a no from me anyway

1 minute ago, zico martin said:

In the morning was more of a pop classic on tv ads and all that though?

Still a no from me anyway

Are you talking about The Coral or Razorlight? 

I couldn't name a song by The Coral (well now I can) but would be humming their tunes no problem and have heard amazing things about them live. So if they opened Other I would try and be there. 

1 minute ago, H.M.V said:

Are you talking about The Coral or Razorlight? 

I couldn't name a song by The Coral (well now I can) but would be humming their tunes no problem and have heard amazing things about them live. So if they opened Other I would try and be there. 

In The Morning https://g.co/kgs/e3oMZ5