Friday morning Other opener 2019

kalifire

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Was it that bad? Heard rumours but not an eyewitness account

It was pretty bad. Some stayed but then dropped off after a few songs. I cant quite remember what the rumours were but there were a few swirling round that it was going to be someone amazing. I dont think they even had new material out at the time but could be wrong! 

We always tend to be around Pyramid for the opening of the festival, the acts usually appeal to me more than whatever is on at other. Hacienda classical was a fantastic start last year and The Syrian Orchestra with a little appearence from Damo for 'out of time' was a nice post brexit news act.  

45 minutes ago, buffy394 said:

It was pretty bad. Some stayed but then dropped off after a few songs. I cant quite remember what the rumours were but there were a few swirling round that it was going to be someone amazing. I dont think they even had new material out at the time but could be wrong! 

Weren't they a last minute replacement for Lorde? They were also headlining JP Friday night.   2 opportunities to see Ricky Kaiser and the Chieftains in one day - we were spoilt that year.!

1 hour ago, buffy394 said:

I’m pretty sure the information boards around Pennards on Friday morning were saying The Foo Fighters were rumoured to be opening the Pyramid, hence the mass exodus when The Very Not Foo Fighters turned up on stage.

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

One of my all time Glasto regrets that. Not being there when that flag dropped. 

Genuinely gutted. 

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Was it that bad? Heard rumours but not an eyewitness account

It was nothing like people on here describe from where I was stood. There was a cheer when the flag dropped (albeit not a massive one) and I didn't see people leaving at all. Wish I fuckin had, though.

54 minutes ago, bellboy said:

Weren't they a last minute replacement for Lorde? They were also headlining JP Friday night.   2 opportunities to see Ricky Kaiser and the Chieftains in one day - we were spoilt that year.!

That's right! I couldn't remember if they were given the opener at the Other to compensate them only playing the John Peel that year or if they were given the JP headline  because they agreed to open the Other! I made a point of being nowhere near JP that night. I remember seeing them on the Pyramid a few years before (first time I had seen them) and thinking of Ricky Wilson, "That guy thinks he's Freddie Mercury". He wasn't...

Edited by Pear_Cider

1 hour ago, dingbat2 said:

That Pyramid opening was great last time around. We had Hacienda Classical > Paul Carrack (who was particularly  ace) > Blossoms

Forgot the Pretenders opened that year, glad I chose the  Pyramid

Not a bad start to the festival that

Ditto.

My bottom lip did wibble during Paul Carrack; not ashamed ?

1 hour ago, dingbat2 said:

That Pyramid opening was great last time around. We had Hacienda Classical > Paul Carrack (who was particularly  ace) > Blossoms

Forgot the Pretenders opened that year, glad I chose the  Pyramid

Not a bad start to the festival that

Paul Carrack was fantastic. That set on the pyramid is very high up on my list of moments.

The year before my parents were gutted when one of his gigs was cancelled last minute. My Dad mentioned he was playing the festival and I spotted him on at the acoustic when at a loose end. I was surprised at how many songs I knew. My friend and her boyfriend followed me, him very reluctantly. He sang/cried through most of the set and then went to complete bits during Adele later that evening. 

After the pyramid set I returned the favour and got the parents tickets to Bridgewater Hall for Christmas. Watching my Dad was what I imagine parents feel like watching their kids get the magic of Christmas. A superb gig in a wonderful venue! The tickets were only around £30 each too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Both years I've been, I've had James and The Pretenders, and they've both probably cropped up in my top five of the weekend come the journey home on Monday.

Feeder are in excellent live form right now, but imagine that would be a less than popular booking.

If they're touring, Simple Minds for me.

Caught a chunk of Feeder's set at Beautiful Days and was pleasantly surprised. Opening Friday morning with Feeling A Moment would be a great start to the weekend

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Caught a chunk of Feeder's set at Beautiful Days and was pleasantly surprised. Opening Friday morning with Feeling A Moment would be a great start to the weekend

Saw them a couple of years ago on the All Bright Electric tour and was really underwhelmed, then saw them this year on the Greatest Hits tour and they were excellent. May just be a case of good days and bad days.

Aye, Feeling a Moment into Shatter for me. Close out with Buck Rodgers into Just a Day.