Friday morning Other opener 2019

kalifire

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They pretty much sacked it off in 2017. The surprise element was gone, at any rate.

I sacked it off as well. No way was I missing Hacienda Classical on the Friday, and then Bootleg Beatles on the Saturday, amazing starts to both days dancing my arse off at 11am !

6 minutes ago, swede said:

I sacked it off as well. No way was I missing Hacienda Classical on the Friday, and then Bootleg Beatles on the Saturday, amazing starts to both days dancing my arse off at 11am !

Caught the end of Hacienda Classical, wandering into the field with a hangover. Watched the crowd go nuts to You Got The Love. Cried a bit at the massive amount of love in the field.. Went for some breakfast.

I get soppy when I have a hangover.

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Caught the end of Hacienda Classical, wandering into the field with a hangover. Watched the crowd go nuts to You Got The Love. Cried a bit at the massive amount of love in the field.. Went for some breakfast.

I get soppy when I have a hangover.

Florence brought tears to my eyes when she came on and sang that with Dizzee about 10 hours later - but for very different reasons 

• Upvote 1

Any of these would do nicely...

Feeder, Stranglers, OMD, Tears for Fears, Erasure.

A difficult slot to fill, 11:00 on a Friday morning with an already weary crowd expecting to be entertained; can’t wait!

Incidentally, I thought James were ace, all things considered. The weather was rubbish, 30min delay, brexit result all added to a quite demanding gig. I still watch the YouTube videos with fond memories. ?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, oneeye said:

A difficult slot to fill, 11:00 on a Friday morning with an already weary crowd expecting to be entertained; can’t wait!

Incidentally, I thought James were ace, all things considered. The weather was rubbish, 30min delay, brexit result all added to a quite demanding gig. I still watch the YouTube videos with fond memories. ?

OMD were one I thought could do it, saw them a few weeks ago, great set list and still sound great!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, blue6field said:

OMD were one I thought could do it, saw them a few weeks ago, great set list and still sound great!

They still remain on my to do list, never seen them but all reports are, as you say, still sounding great ?

Edited by oneeye

15 minutes ago, oneeye said:

Yeah, I was thinking similar. It needs to be a band who are not at their peak/passed their peak, but who can pull a decent crowd out of their pits and get them going on a Friday morning with songs the crowd will be familiar with. A decent band from the 80s or 90s would do the trick. OMD are still ace, saw them earlier this year and they were brilliant. Also thinking a Tears for Fears / Human League / Soft Cell / Travis / Franz Ferdinand sort of act. 

I have always really enjoyed the Friday morning opener, they have always set me up for the rest of the festival. 

6 hours ago, Fanbloodytastic said:

I love the wednesday and thursday but standing bleary eyed on the Friday morning with a coffee and a breakfast roll, listening to whoever's opening the Other stage, is always my first real 'ah now this is where i'm meant to be' moment of the weekend

To quote you "ah now this is where i'm meant to be". My moment happens a few times.

Joining traffic queues of like minded people 

Supping an alcoholic beverage on Tuesday night after setting up camp (yes I'm a campervanner)

First glimpse of whole site. Especially from Stone Circle.

And a hundred times more just because I'm there.

I was there for "Hacienda Classical" and a very nice start to a Friday morning with only 3 hours sleep Thursday night it was too!

but I has camped near "The other stage" and the slaves were far to loud for an early morning slot - I had to get up and head over to Glade to get some peace....

Stranglers would be a good Friday opener for Other stage though.....

16 hours ago, Pear_Cider said:

Haha! I remember that :D The crowd in the Other field waiting expectantly to see who would be opening the festival. The banner unfurled at the the back...Beady Eye. You could hear the groans and the "Oh, FFS!" as people gathered their stuff and left the field!!

Ha yep! Just remembered the Kaiser Chiefs too. Not sure which year but the groan outdid Beady Eye's for sure.

28 minutes ago, Starscreenbass said:

I've always enjoyed the Friday morning slot. Would love to see the b-52's do it. What better way to get you in the mood. Rock lobster, love shack etc. I think it's impossible to be sad when Fred is singing :)

B-52s would be ace, but I don't think they are big enough for the Other.  Would like to watch them having some strumpets with crumpets in Avalon.

• Like 1