Friday morning Other opener 2019

kalifire

37 minutes ago, Pear_Cider said:

Ah, now that moment for me happens a couple of hours later. I usually (not always) go the the Other stage to see who's on and pass a bit of time. But then, for me, it's over to Avalon for Hobo Jones and the Junkyard Dogs to properly kick off the festival at 1pm!! :D

snap :)

10 minutes ago, Supermerv said:

Maybe something a little harder would take your fancy, Mastadon?

Not so much that, although Mastodon at midday would be something to behold. It's more that dance acts like the Chems really need the darkness and the light shows to get the old ambience right.  If there's a struggle to get people up and running on a Friday morning then I don't think a full on dance act would be the one to get them going.

In my own head I have always thought of this as a place for a band with some name recognition (and a few songs everyone knows), but who may no longer deserve a bigger slot. So the secrecy and whole “opening the festival thing” was a way of massaging some egos. Also presents an early opportunity for a bit of a sing along for some of the more mature festival goers 

However I’m not sure that it has ever really worked. I’m stuggling to remember one of these that I ever really enjoyed. Hacienda Classical was a much better start for me last year! 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Ye but this is gonna happen whoever you’re seeing on whichever stage.

I've never seen the opener. Always in the bimble inn getting my bloody mary, but I do love that first moment - wherever you may be in the festival - when you hear the first stage to open blazing across the fields

Edited by karaseen

Last year we watched Hacienda Classical (quite a good way to kick off the festival, but they could benefit from a later slot) and hot footed it to the Other and caught the last 4 or 5 songs of The Pretenders. Chrissie was great.

I agree about the Manics, would be a good slot for them. It must be slightly demoralising for a once Pyramid headliner to be slipping down the pecking order on festival bills. Something like this would be face saving.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

Echo and the Bunnymen or the Human League

Was going to say bunnymen . I've seen James and the pretenders last 2 years enjoyed both sets . Can't see your going to get many groups who are going to create a massive stir at 11am on the Friday morning . But good to see someone u know with a good presence 

I too enjoyed James and The Charlatans in that slot.  I think both got bigger, more 'up for it' crowds than they probably would if they were on at 6pm on that stage and they can kid themselves that it's some kind of prestigious, opening slot.

Kaisers and Beady Eye are not everyone's cup of tea but I think both went down pretty well really for that time of the day.   

I quite like the slot as it's been for the past few years - a 'name' act with a string of well-known hits but aren't as big or credible as they once were.    If we carry on down that road then there's a few that could do it; Primal Scream, Manic Street Preachers, Happy Mondays, Texas, Suede, Bloc Party...

2 hours ago, Andeeroo said:

Edit: Oh Beady Eye. Guff.

Haha! I remember that :D The crowd in the Other field waiting expectantly to see who would be opening the festival. The banner unfurled at the the back...Beady Eye. You could hear the groans and the "Oh, FFS!" as people gathered their stuff and left the field!!

Edited by Pear_Cider

2 hours ago, henry bear said:

I agree about the Manics, would be a good slot for them. It must be slightly demoralising for a once Pyramid headliner to be slipping down the pecking order on festival bills. Something like this would be face saving.

I remember the Manics on the Pyramid stage..was it '07 or '09...something like that. Then a few years ago on the Other stage. Wasn't that as the opener, or am I misremembering?