Friday morning Other opener 2019

kalifire

9 minutes ago, Bradders said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if this slot is sacked off after the fallow year. Nice idea but it never really worked, people aren’t that up for a dance at 11:30 and they never quite got the calibre of act to make it special.

They pretty much sacked it off in 2017. The surprise element was gone, at any rate.

55 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Manic Street Preachers pls 

Manic's were disappointing when i saw them on the recent tour, granted the new album hadn't long been out so a few songs were very flat and not well received. The other thing is Nicky's mum was ill (later passed away) so he understandably wasn't up for it as he normally is but then again neither were the others. Just makes me think their time maybe coming to an end if it hasn't already as the new album didn't really do that well and the ticket sales for the tour were very low. It's a shame though as I love them. 

3 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Manic's were disappointing when i saw them on the recent tour, granted the new album hadn't long been out so a few songs were very flat and not well received. The other thing is Nicky's mum was ill (later passed away) so he understandably wasn't up for it as he normally is but then again neither were the others. Just makes me think their time maybe coming to an end if it hasn't already as the new album didn't really do that well and the ticket sales for the tour were very low. It's a shame though as I love them. 

I must have had the completely opposite experience to you tbf. Thought the live show was really good though Manchester Arena was too big for them imo. Agree with you about the new songs as I didn't know them that well myself but they've really grown on me. 

I'd say the album itself had been fairly well received though , as much as a 13th album can be. Think it got an 8/10 in NME. 

Don't think they'll do it but I think Manics are at a steady level of popularity now. They've got a fan base who will see them no matter what but can't see them picking up many new fans at this point.

2 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Wasn’t it the Pretenders?

I believe it was. I quite enjoyed it. However, someone needs to have a word with whoever put Slaves on the early Sunday morning slot. 

Sat down with my bacon butty in front of the disabled platform. Lasted all of 30 seconds before retreating to the back of the field. 11am is not a suitable slot for anyone that loud

• Downvote 1

This slot has regularly flattered to deceive but it has often represented the start of the festival for me, and has become an event on the opening day such is the vast numbers that attend. Any act with some recognisable songs will go down well. Manic Street Preachers would fit this perfectly, for me. But in truth the list of potential acts is large.

Manics would be too big to open the Other I would say. I'd actually see them as more likely to be at the other end of the day if they were to play at all.

Have to say I saw them at Beautiful Days and they were immense.  New album had been out long enough for the new material to fly, and any set that opens with Motorcycle Emptiness was always going to be a winner

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Fanbloodytastic said:

I love the wednesday and thursday but standing bleary eyed on the Friday morning with a coffee and a breakfast roll, listening to whoever's opening the Other stage, is always my first real 'ah now this is where i'm meant to be' moment of the weekend

Agree. You’ve had a few days of getting on it in a field, the first act on Friday is when you think “now we’re getting started”. 

20 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

I must have had the completely opposite experience to you tbf. Thought the live show was really good though Manchester Arena was too big for them imo. Agree with you about the new songs as I didn't know them that well myself but they've really grown on me. 

I'd say the album itself had been fairly well received though , as much as a 13th album can be. Think it got an 8/10 in NME. 

Don't think they'll do it but I think Manics are at a steady level of popularity now. They've got a fan base who will see them no matter what but can't see them picking up many new fans at this point.

They only sold half of Newcastle arena this tour although 2 years before i seen them sell out the glasgow hydro. Must have been the timing of the tour to when the album came out and Nicky's mums health. I remember the album was reviewed quite well but sales/downloads weren't anything to get excited about. 

6 minutes ago, Heather90 said:

Sat down with my bacon butty in front of the disabled platform. Lasted all of 30 seconds before retreating to the back of the field. 11am is not a suitable slot for anyone that loud

They supported the Foo Fighters in London this year and I thought 7pm was too early for them! A large part of it was just noise and the stadium wasn't exactly appreciative of how loud it was! 

48 minutes ago, Fanbloodytastic said:

I love the wednesday and thursday but standing bleary eyed on the Friday morning with a coffee and a breakfast roll, listening to whoever's opening the Other stage, is always my first real 'ah now this is where i'm meant to be' moment of the weekend

Ah, now that moment for me happens a couple of hours later. I usually (not always) go the the Other stage to see who's on and pass a bit of time. But then, for me, it's over to Avalon for Hobo Jones and the Junkyard Dogs to properly kick off the festival at 1pm!! :D

40 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Charlie XCX was the first act I watched on Friday last time and she was fantastic for blowing off the cobwebs.  Something of that ilk would do me, not some dreary indie outfit from yesteryear. 

Agree with this, change things up a little, maybe even a more dance orientated act, someone like the Chemical Brothers (wishful thinking)?

Just now, Supermerv said:

Agree with this, change things up a little, maybe even a more dance orientated act, someone like the Chemical Brothers (wishful thinking)?

I'm not one for knocking things down (there are no bad ideas team!) but.......Chems at midday on a Friday in broad daylight? Nooooo sir!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1