Coach ticket vs standard

Armourman

4 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Out of interest, does anyone know when the coaches actually leave from Sheffield?

I've travelled twice on the Weds coach/ticket package from Sheffield.  On both occasions I have been allocated 9am .  I think I am right in saying there is an earlier coach on the Weds. Might be 6am.  I'd much prefer to go earlier tbh, but you do not get a say.  I have heard of people sending pleading e-mails to See Tickets requesting a particular coach with varying degrees of success. I always try for a coach ticket first because, although I prefer to travel under my own steam, the ticket is by far the most important thing....   

Oh thanks! I'd be ok with 9am (so you eat there around 3pm?), I was just concerned there might be a later one....I guess they can't really do that if coming all the the way from Sheffield. I was a bit against coach sale but actually, if I intend to come by coach anyways, seems stupid not to give it a go :)

I guess thats it. The ticket is the thing. If I didnt get a ticket in the main sale I know I'd kick myslef for not at least trying for coach. Even with a 10 hour journey down!  I believe there's only 15k go on sale in total and given that only ONE bus leaves Glasgow ( and its been to Edinburgh first) I'd imagine the chances are exceptionally low so I'm gonna go for the 'whats for ye wont go by ye' philosophy

Thanks to all for input - hopefully helped other folk choose too

18 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Oh thanks! I'd be ok with 9am (so you eat there around 3pm?), I was just concerned there might be a later one....I guess they can't really do that if coming all the the way from Sheffield.

There might be a later one.  2015 I have no idea what time the coach arrived but 3pm sounds about right.  2016 was a different story altogether though.  Departed 9am.  Arrived 8pm!!!!!  That was the infamous mudageddon year. 

GF & I will be coming from Edinburgh - anyone had experience with See Tickets coaches from the Scot capital? We got tickets for 2016 in the general sale, booked National Express afterwards arriving on the Wednesday morning which was ideal.

for 2017 we failed to get tickets and I was kicking myself for not trying in the coach sale - obviously giving ourselves an extra chance would be the smart idea but I'd hate to get stuck with a coach that doesn't arrive until Thursday afternoon or something, and I know you have to take it in order to receive your tickets. If anyone knows how many/how frequent coaches are from Edinburgh that might put my mind at rest!

17 hours ago, doogie said:

Actually you can. You just need to create two registrations. If you cancel the coach ticket you lose £30 instead of £20.

Just remember to set up both registrations before 1 October.

If they pick up on double registrations that both happen to get tickets, then I’d like to think both get cancelled. Leave coach tickets to people who actually want to get the coach 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, AmyShambles said:

We are hoping for coach tickets from either Manchester or Liverpool.  How do you reckon they decide who goes on which coach?  Those who get tickets first are put on the earliest coach and so on?

yeah pretty sure that's how it works! The years I've got a ticket just after they've gone on sale I've ended up on the earlier coaches. Only just managed to get tickets last year before they sold out and we were put on a much later coach.

Just as a heads up - for the extra £20(ish) that it costs for the National Express, it can sometimes be worth paying just to pick a time that's best for you.

I have had some very shit time slots allocated to me with the coach and ticket packages - either arriving really late on the Wednesday and losing some prime cider time, or leave far far too early on the Monday, ruining the big Sunday blow out.

Edited by FrancisH

1 minute ago, FrancisH said:

Just as a heads up - for the extra £20(ish) that it costs for the National Express, it can sometimes be worth paying just to pick a time that's best for you.

I have had some very shit time slots allocated to me with the coach and ticket packages - either arriving really late on the Wednesday and losing some prime cider time, or leave far far too early on the Monday, ruining the big Sunday blow out.

yeah this is a good point, my coaches have always left at 9am on the Monday. Meaning that every year I make the perhaps foolish decision to do an all nighter on the Sunday and feel fucking grim by the time 9am comes around and stagger on home like some brain dead zombie after the journey. Have been met by some proper dubious looks when I arrive back in civilization.

9 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

The return journey time can be a killer. Mine was 4am last year! (The bonus being the sunrise and getting back home before 9am) That said I was done in by Sunday lunchtime and was ready to go home anyway. For me getting an extra shot at a ticket is worth the potential hassle of the fixed coach times. Note to self though if I am fortunate enough to get another coach ticket with an early return, pack everything during the day leave at the lock up nearest the bus station and stay out for the night. Sleep on the bus.

Leicester Sea-Coaches times were crap last year - Thursday Lunchtime departure from Leicester, so didn't get pitched until early Thursday evening and 09:30 return on Monday. In some ways I'd like a 4AM departure on the Monday so I could pack away tent & leave it in the lockups and party until getting on the bus.

48 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

yeah this is a good point, my coaches have always left at 9am on the Monday. Meaning that every year I make the perhaps foolish decision to do an all nighter on the Sunday and feel fucking grim by the time 9am comes around and stagger on home like some brain dead zombie after the journey. Have been met by some proper dubious looks when I arrive back in civilization.

This is why I'm just going for a single this year I reckon. Apparently they let you get any old See coach on the way back regardless of what your ticket says but I think I'd rather handpick my National Express home.

I'm lucky being able to choose my outbound time but I'd still try the coach sale if I couldn't. First year they had coaches I didn't bother, failed in the main sale and had to wait for the resale. It was agony. (Actually it was even worse than that because I helped a mate get his coach ticket and left mine until Sunday like a fucking chump...)

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This is why I'm just going for a single this year I reckon. Apparently they let you get any old See coach on the way back regardless of what your ticket says but I think I'd rather handpick my National Express home.

I'm lucky being able to choose my outbound time but I'd still try the coach sale if I couldn't. First year they had coaches I didn't bother, failed in the main sale and had to wait for the resale. It was agony. (Actually it was even worse than that because I helped a mate get his coach ticket and left mine until Sunday like a fucking chump...)

Oooh can you get singles??? That's ideal! Can you do that for any destination??

There's nearly always spaces on the early coaches on Monday and sometimes they don't check your tickets on the way back. One year my friend, who didn't have a coach ticket, was such a state that the he just looked at the coach driver and said ''take me home please'' and the guy let him on. I wouldn't rely on such regular acts of kindness though.

Edited by rhg_99

4 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Oooh can you get singles??? That's ideal! Can you do that for any destination??

Not for Manc unfortunately so I'm assuming not for any other places except London (at least not in the years I got a see coach), but you're also not obliged to get on the coach back either, so you can still make your own travel arrangements! But that's probably not very cost effective...

Edited by FrancisH

1 minute ago, FrancisH said:

Not for Manc unfortunately so I'm assuming not for any other places except London (at least not in the years I got a see coach), but you're also not obliged to get on the coach back either, so you can still make your own travel arrangements!

in 2015 & 2016 we got normal ticket & CV East tickets, brought a couple of friends back who had gone down on the coach as they had got tickets in resale - worked well as you can pack-up your tent Sunday morning stick it in the CV and then party until you've had enough then leave....