Advice needed: Wedding invite for the 28th June 2019

Sasperella

25 minutes ago, Quark said:

Funny enough, I've just come back from lunch and reading "The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a Fuck" :lol:

Hahaha that sounds absolutely ace!! Might have to give it a look

17 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

Tough one. 2 main things to consider - how close a friend are they? 

I think this is also key. We used to be close when we were both living and working abroad in the same expat community - but that was five years ago. I've not seen her since Glastonbury 2017 (as she not only lives in HK but is American so isn't often in the UK), or even really spoke to her too much since then on WhatsApp or whatever. And if I were to see her, I would like to be when we had time to catch up rather than a wedding when she'll have so many other people to talk to

Has she offered to pay for trip? I assume it will be 100's each? If she has then yes still go to Glastonbury and you might feel a little guilty. If she has not, then nobody should expect people to spend their hard earned money doing a holiday that they either cannot really afford or haven't chosen for themselves, regardless of it being under the guise of a wedding celebration. I am sure she would understand that. It's only decent and right not to expect people to be able to afford or want to spend that much money through no choice. Have a great time at the festival!

I missed Carly Rae Jepsen playing in Manchester to go to a friend's wedding a few years ago, still stings to this day. I swore never again so I've devised a game plan of not missing Glastonbury for a wedding. The way I see it, I think I have 7 friends in this world who's wedding I'd miss Glastonbury for.

Two of them are Glastonbury buds and would never dream of booking their weddings that weekend. One is already married. One of them is with a Yorkshireman so presuming she marries him he'll never agree to get married in expensive June, good sort he is. One of them seems unlikely to ever get married. One of them is a teacher so will want to get married across the summer holidays (although that gives me grave concerns about missing Green Man, and I did have a dream last night where I caved his head in with a jar of Branston pickle, that sounds like something I'd do to somebody who tried to stand between me and Green Man). The final one is a wild card, but I'm hoping I can have a quiet word in his ear when the time comes.

Also I got 3 siblings, one is a Glastonbury regular so isn't going to wilfully miss it (also, disastrous taste in men, god help us all if she ever marries one). Another's long-term boyfriend is a Glastonbury regular, so he's keeping me safe there. And the last one is the type to go down the registry office wearing jeans and a hoodie on a Tuesday afternoon and get married without even telling anybody then going to Weatherspoons. 

These are the thingsI think about you see. I gotta know what's around the corner, standing in my way.

I did turn down a wedding RSVP once because I thought it was Glastonbury weekend, then after the fact I was told it was the weekend before. My mistake. I didn't even want to go that much anyway, weird Christian types.

No, OP, I'm sorry I have no advice to help you out.

• Upvote 1

She's given you her blessing. Go to Glastonbury. Make them something in the craft field to give to them when you meet up. Will show you were still thinking of her whilst at Glastonbury. 

There's a stall where you sit and make a ring. Cast it, shape it, polish it, the whole 9 yards. Does take a few hours out of your festival to do but at least she'll appreciate it.

• Upvote 2

For about 10 years I banged on about Glastonbury enough that none of my close friends would dream of putting a wedding on that weekend - probably very selfish of me, but there you go. Much more relaxed about it in more recent years, when I've realised sometimes other things in life must take priority (family mainly) and that I'm just unable to go every year - as long was we keep going as often as poss. that's the main thing.

I feel your pain, it's my parents 60th wedding anniversary next year and they got married on 27th June. Thankfully my brother already asked them to have the party the weekend before because of the Glasto clash. I would hope that they would understand if you chose to go to Glasto but I'd have a chat first

16 minutes ago, Keithy said:

She's given you her blessing. Go to Glastonbury. Make them something in the craft field to give to them when you meet up. Will show you were still thinking of her whilst at Glastonbury. 

There's a stall where you sit and make a ring. Cast it, shape it, polish it, the whole 9 yards. Does take a few hours out of your festival to do but at least she'll appreciate it.

Take a bow that man

31 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Hahaha that sounds absolutely ace!! Might have to give it a look

It's short, punchy and amusing.  Some useful stuff in there.

If you're going to read something like that I'd really recommend Essentialism by Greg McKeown. It's longer and can be a bit preachy in places, but as a way to get you to rethink how you divide up your time, effort and attention it's brilliant.  I re-read it every 6 months or so, and I genuinely credit it with helping me sort out my own brain and returning to my old pre-redundancy levels of being laid back.

1 hour ago, Divein said:

The fact that it's not even the actual wedding and it's just a party abroad means you should feel even less guilty about not going.

Unless it's family I dont feel you should be inclined to go anyone's wedding if it's out the country, IMO.

1000% this. Being expected to attend a wedding out of the country is a huge ask itself, let alone over Glastonbury ?

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Glastonbury will be great however many people decide to go... our numbers have dwindled from 16 to only the 2 of us last year ....I still loved every minute of it ..it just made me do some stuff on my own with less waiting around for others to organise themselves . Enjoy either but ask yourself what you would regret most ? and see you at the efest meet :)

Ah of course, the e-fests meet! That worked out for me pretty well at Boomtown with @Tommy101 and his friends (as I'd only gone to Boomtown with one other friend from Sheffield) - so maybe it really doesn't matter so much who my immediate Glastonbury crew ends up being :) (Assuming of course I get a ticket. This thread is starting to feel like one big jinx...)

16 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Take her back some "longdrop" water in a little Holy water bottle. 

I said we're not that close anymore, not that I absolutely hated her :lol:

Glastonbury. Weddings are boring as it is, but as you said, the only people you know there will be the bride, and the other members of your group (who could also be going to Glasto).
You've all been given the option to go to the fest, then all meet up the following week. I would personally think that the other couple in your group would be in the wrong if they decided to go to the party!

Besides, it's not even a proper wedding!

Your friend has chosen a weekend knowing you are likely to be busy just to get the venue she wants, so she has chosen the venue over your attendance. I would say that picking Glastonbury over the wedding is fair, if having you there was really that important to her she'd look for another venue on another weekend that you are free.

I missed Glastonbury 2002 for my brother's wedding and I didn't get to go back until 2008.

17 minutes ago, FatAmmy said:

If it was a proper local wedding and they were great friends you lot would still be saying "Go to glasto"

I reckon if it was proper local, say in Bristol or Bath, I would actually consider popping down for the day and just missing Saturday of the festival.... turning up knackered and covered in glitter is always a win at these things, no?