My best tips for ticket day....

Apone

2 minutes ago, Badlands said:

The reg holder isn't particularly IT literate - he doesn't even know which email address it was originally to reset. Left it with the person to re-register but didn't manage to. My issue is if it doesnt work on T-Day and we dont end up getting tickets because of that reason, there'll be 5 other people pretty pissed off in the group. Gonna give See a call tomorrow and see what they say. Reg number probably post- 2013.

There should be no reason why it’s not active then.

yeah give ST a shout... if not maybe explain to your friend that because of the reasons you’ve said you will secure the other 5 first and then all try to go back in for them?  The only safe way to go about it. 

42 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Not really on topic - but one of ours has a reg number but no longer access to the email address it is registered against. Rather than find out that it's been deleted on T-Day at the worst possible time, is there a way to identify if it is still valid? It's pointless putting in the email address on the page as he cannot access it.

Just checked my old emails, the lead booker gets an email like this:

--------------------------------------------

Dear MR ALAN R---------H

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

You have booked to attend GLASTONBURY 2017 at Worthy Farm, Pilton-Somerset on 23-25 June 2017. Gates open Wednesday 21st June.

You have ordered the following tickets

Order Reference: 4-------------

3 deposits at £50 (Booked on Sunday 9th October 2016)

The deposit(s) you have paid for have been assigned to the following registration(s)

75###### - Miss Angela R----------
89###### - Mr Gary C----------
71###### - Mr Alan R-----------

You have been charged a total of £150.00 and this will appear on your statement as TICKETS 08712200260

etc.

----------------------------------------------

Each person then gets their own email

So just make sure the member of your group is not the lead booker, and remember that in April they will not get the balance payment reminder. 

Regards

Alan

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Badlands said:

The reg holder isn't particularly IT literate - he doesn't even know which email address it was originally to reset. Left it with the person to re-register but didn't manage to. My issue is if it doesnt work on T-Day and we dont end up getting tickets because of that reason, there'll be 5 other people pretty pissed off in the group. Gonna give See a call tomorrow and see what they say. Reg number probably post- 2013.

Personally, I wouldn't be buying a ticket for someone who can't go to the effort of ensuring they have a valid reg and are 100% sure that it is valid. Not being computer literate isn't even an excuse, they could have asked someone else to set them up a brand new reg over the last few months. They obviously don't care about going as much as you do. I'd be up for trying to book them a ticket after mine is secured but wouldn't be risking my chances if I thought there was a possibility of a ticket reg being invalid.

16 minutes ago, alanr said:

Just checked my old emails, the lead booker gets an email like this:

--------------------------------------------

Dear MR ALAN R---------H

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

You have booked to attend GLASTONBURY 2017 at Worthy Farm, Pilton-Somerset on 23-25 June 2017. Gates open Wednesday 21st June.

You have ordered the following tickets

Order Reference: 4-------------

3 deposits at £50 (Booked on Sunday 9th October 2016)

The deposit(s) you have paid for have been assigned to the following registration(s)

75###### - Miss Angela R----------
89###### - Mr Gary C----------
71###### - Mr Alan R-----------

You have been charged a total of £150.00 and this will appear on your statement as TICKETS 08712200260

etc.

----------------------------------------------

Each person then gets their own email

So just make sure the member of your group is not the lead booker, and remember that in April they will not get the balance payment reminder. 

Regards

Alan

Also he can't go for coach tickets as your coach ticket comes via email and you need that to get on the coach and thus get your golden ticket... you might be able to update your email between now and April though.

9 hours ago, Dangertappy said:

I tested it on my pc and laptop both on home wifi, one auto refreshing at a fast speed the other every 2 seconds. The one with the fast auto refresh got the busy page but the pc connected to the same home wifi stayed the same... very confusing!! I'm just going to play it safe on the day with pc on Wi-Fi, phone on 4g and laptop on the 20 second refresh thing 

Holding page has been updated....

Screenshot_2018-10-02-10-05-35.png

10 hours ago, Dangertappy said:

I tested it on my pc and laptop both on home wifi, one auto refreshing at a fast speed the other every 2 seconds. The one with the fast auto refresh got the busy page but the pc connected to the same home wifi stayed the same... very confusing!! I'm just going to play it safe on the day with pc on Wi-Fi, phone on 4g and laptop on the 20 second refresh thing 

Hang on guys.....think I *may* have figured this out.......and I think it's to do with DNS.

When you request the booking page DNS directs you to one of 4 load balancers at SeeTickets, which are allocated to requests on a round robin basis...so device 1 gets balancer 1, device 2 gets balancer 2 etc etc...device 5 would then get balancer 1 and so on.

It is the balancer that then monitors how quickly you ask it for a page by F5.....exceed 60 in a minute and you get the holding page until the F5 rate falls within limits.

But here's the rub....once you get directed to a balancer you are redirected to it automatically for 59 seconds, a thing called TimeToLive or TTL.  Once that TTL expires your next request will requery DNS for a balancer connection, which may, or may not, be the same balancer of the 4 as before.  If it's the same one then you will get the busy page as soon as you exceed the F5 rate again.  If however it's a different balancer then your F5 count will start fresh.

This may explain why several devices on the same Public IP are seen by See as the same device but they don't necessarily all get blocked....basically because they are connected to different balancers via the DNS process and are therefore not seen as F5-ing cumulatively.

In theory therefore it would be possible for separate devices on a campus network to get blocked simultaneously but only where they are on the same balancer via DNS...but there being 4 of them and the relatively short TTL reduces the likelihood of this happening.  

So in @Dangertappy

scenario above my guess is that the devices were on different balancers via DNS and therefore didn't both get blocked.

There are prob holes all over this but I'm hoping it is in some way correct, and will help allay concerns over multiple devices on same Public IP addresses all being blocked when only one of them is hitting F5 like berserk.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Got the url?

No....I'm on my Android tablet (in Thailand currently hence 6 hours time difference to you guys....) and I can't analyse the page to get the URL..... https://glastonbury.seetickets.com/content/busy would have been my guess but that still resolves to the old busy page.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Had my first ticket buying dream last night. I was successful but it was fucking complicated and there was a lot of panic and faffing about. Eep. Two days! 

I had a dream (nightmare) too last night.... we only got 2 groups through out of 4. Ugh wish ticket day would just be over and done with and put me out of my misery ?

4 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

If anyone wants nightmares...just delved back to the ‘2017 Ticket Sale’ thread (currently on chat page 82, the action starts on page 92 of that thread), it’s horrific! Not sure my heart will stand up to this again....

I fancy a look, can you post a link to it?

A bit of me would like a look too but don't know if I could bear it! Twice now I've haunted these post T-day threads looking for fellow people to commiserate with, listening to people's theories etc etc.... when successful it's a different story of course but it's such a weird feeling when the forum is split down the middle into the haves and the have nots...

I still think it's a bit quiet around here though! Definitely remember more panicked threads before.

Could anyone clarify the difference between the holding page and the one that will show if you are refreshing too quickly please? Or are they simply the same page and you'll only get held on it if you're refreshing too quickly?

Edited by leej7

The IT guy at work keeps saying CTRL + F5 is the way forward.

He also thinks if I log on to the work RDS system from home it'll give me a better chance.

I've no idea what he's on about so I've told him I think I may have pulled out a cable in the comms room. That'll keep him out of my way for the next few days.

My head is bouncing reading all of this, I don’t think I’m gonna use the auto refresh on Chrome extension... I’m having phone/laptop on 4G and the iPad and other laptop on Wi-Fi. It’s been successful in the last 3 years we’ve tried, definitely remember hammering F5 and got through in 2016 for 2017 festival.

16 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

He also thinks if I log on to the work RDS system from home it'll give me a better chance.

I've no idea what he's on about so I've told him I think I may have pulled out a cable in the comms room. That'll keep him out of my way for the next few days.

I remember people mentioning the CTRL + F5 thing a few years a go as it clears the cache on the webpage or something. I maybe way off though.

I tried through my works VPN on my work laptop from home last year and it didnt really make a difference.

16 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

CTRL + F5 will reload all page elements from the server whereas just F5 will load any unchanged elements from your local browser cache.  Miniscule argument therefore that F5 is actually better as it won't have to get the whole page every time...

6 minutes ago, Divein said:

I remember people mentioning the CTRL + F5 thing a few years a go as it clears the cache on the webpage or something. I maybe way off though.

I tried through my works VPN on my work laptop from home last year and it didnt really make a difference.

Yup...using work computer through VPN won't give any advantage other than it'll be on a different public IP to your devices at home....assuming you have a decent WiFi service at home that is. 

Morning, I'm getting myself in a pickle and would love some advice. I've been lucky enough to be successful every year since 2010 and generally go into my work to try whilst it is closed. This year I have stupidly agreed to go fishing for the weekend (Best mates Birthday and booked by him 6 months ago so can't let him down). Where my indecision is bothering me is I can try from the bank on Sunday with two laptops tethered to two phones via 4g (providing I can get it!), or I can get up early, drive home (1 hour) try from home with my 200mb virgin connection then drive back to my mate (another hour). Would being at home with a faster connection be better? What would you do?

7 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Yup...using work computer through VPN won't give any advantage other than it'll be on a different public IP to your devices at home....assuming you have a decent WiFi service at home that is. 

Yeah, it's only a possible advantage if you use the work VPN in addition to a browser through your normal internet.  Just switching to work's VPN instead of going direct doesn't really make any difference.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

43 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

The last few times I've got them is through my work VPN, unsure if it did have an affect or it was just luck.  Will be doing the same again this Sunday.