My best tips for ticket day....

Apone

4 minutes ago, pentura said:

Normally it's me and my old man in his place using the same WiFi. Never had any technical issues running it this way in the past

I'd recommend plugging into he router using a network cable if you can for one device - and ensuring you don't go over 50 * F5's per minute between the two devices (as they'll appear to See as from the same IP-Address and > 60*F5's could get you blocked).

But if you have no choice but to use wifi - reboot the router and check it's working properly well in advance of the ticket sale time.

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

number 2 is intriguing ... dont think ive ever seen a countdown on that page before ..or maybe its just a virtual one ... I did see one on the take that sale so maybe they have implemented for 'glastonbury now ?

The 6 minute thing is new this year....there is no mention of it in the 2017 sale FAQ's.

Exactly what it means escapes me at present.....

6 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

I'd recommend plugging into he router using a network cable if you can for one device - and ensuring you don't go over 50 * F5's per minute between the two devices (as they'll appear to See as from the same IP-Address and > 60*F5's could get you blocked).

But if you have no choice but to use wifi - reboot the router and check it's working properly well in advance of the ticket sale time.

Is this right? I thought separate devices had separate IP addresses?

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Number 6 could cause problems for groups. If I’m reading it correctly then potentially, if there’s a problem with one registration number in a group of a few, that reg number will be blocked for ten minutes and might have to be sacrificed if the rest of the group want to get tickets before it’s released. 

That's exactly why now, instead of asking that question you should be asking people to double-check their details. 

What if you only get one attempt? 

Then yes, that one wrong number has stopped the other 5 and I do know someone who was that wrong person.

Edited by clarkete

Don't forget to login to efest as well - presumably non-members will be unable to access the site during the sale as per previous years?

And make sure you follow efest' glastonbury etc on twitter.

I use an old tablet in previous years but might use screen #2 on the PC this year as it'll be easier to refresh.

4 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

I think he might actually be plugged in with the network cable and I use the WiFi

I definitely don't think exceeding 60 F5's will be an issue. I have found that by the time you hit refresh, it takes a second or two for the page to load anyway, and that's without the amount of traffic on the page on the day slowing it down so anyone exceeding 60 refreshes a minute seems excessive to me when the page hasn't even loaded and you're already onto another refresh

2 minutes ago, CeriG said:

Is this right? I thought separate devices had separate IP addresses?

you can prove this by typing "whats my ip" into google on each device - if your "Public IP" is the same on both devices then don't refresh too quickly on them.

4 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

you can prove this by typing "whats my ip" into google on each device - if your "Public IP" is the same on both devices then don't refresh too quickly on them.

Thanks ill have a look as there will be 4 of us going into my place of work.

10 minutes ago, pentura said:

I definitely don't think exceeding 60 F5's will be an issue. I have found that by the time you hit refresh, it takes a second or two for the page to load anyway, and that's without the amount of traffic on the page on the day slowing it down so anyone exceeding 60 refreshes a minute seems excessive to me when the page hasn't even loaded and you're already onto another refresh

Yeh, I kind of concur with this - my experience is that it does not load fast!

13 minutes ago, clarkete said:

That's exactly why now, instead of asking that question you should be asking people to double-check their details. 

What if you only get one attempt? 

Then yes, that one wrong number has stopped the other 5 and I do know someone who was that wrong person.

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Number 6 could cause problems for groups. If I’m reading it correctly then potentially, if there’s a problem with one registration number in a group of a few, that reg number will be blocked for ten minutes and might have to be sacrificed if the rest of the group want to get tickets before it’s released. 

This is really bothering me. I know that if the registration details are wrong for one person, that can be a shitter, but I'm concerned that it also means if two people from one team of six are both entering the same six peoples details at the same time, they will be blocked. It just says "payment attempt" - but what does that actually mean?

One year (the horrible 26 minute sell out when we didn't get a ticket), two of my friends from my team of six got through to the registration detail page and were both entering our details at the same time. One of them mentioned on the fb chat that he was a bit worried about that as we knew that if one person has already purchased a ticket, the transaction will be declined, but we didn't know if we could have the information of the six people entered in twice. In the end, I think both of them experienced a crash and, the short story is, we didnt get tickets. So, is this the problem? That rather than just being that whoever presses "pay" first will get through, that actually you can't have registration numbers typed in twice?

I may well be freaking out. I just really don't want a repeat of that particular sale! Normally its not a problem because only one person ever gets to the registration details page while everyone else is still stuck on F5ing

8 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Yeh, I kind of concur with this - my experience is that it does not load fast!

Yeah same here. So if the page hasn't even begun to load yet (one of which could be a booking page), why would you refresh just because it hasn't come up straight away?

I usually wait until the page has loaded, or else part loaded to see what it is before F5'ing again. Can't say for sure but probably clocks in at maximum 20 - 30 F5's per minute.

The one thing they could do, which would be in line with the festival ethos, would be to make this whole process more accessible (from a web user perspective). An easy way to do this would be for them to ask for people to pre-fill in advance all this stuff, along with a pre-payment. Then on ticket day, you do the holding page F5 dance, but once in, you're all booked and sorted.

For people with web accessibility issues the current process is unfair.

21 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

One year (the horrible 26 minute sell out when we didn't get a ticket), two of my friends from my team of six got through to the registration detail page and were both entering our details at the same time. One of them mentioned on the fb chat that he was a bit worried about that as we knew that if one person has already purchased a ticket, the transaction will be declined, but we didn't know if we could have the information of the six people entered in twice. In the end, I think both of them experienced a crash and, the short story is, we didnt get tickets. So, is this the problem? That rather than just being that whoever presses "pay" first will get through, that actually you can't have registration numbers typed in twice?

Do you mean they were the only two people trying and that they may have clashed with each other, or that one of those people in the batch of 6 may have got a ticket via a different means?

If it's the former I don't believe that's an issue, either can succeed or not and if they do and the other gets through they would receive the clash message.

I don't know how those folks manage it in here who have large lists of multiple batches or 6 to attempt, luckily for me I've got less friends than fingers.

46 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

The 6 minute thing is new this year....there is no mention of it in the 2017 sale FAQ's.

Is it not just the session timeout? I'd assume that has always existed to prevent people hogging a server side connection but not actually using it to book (unlikely to happen but still possible).

I think the FAQ/Info has just been updated to publish the time now so people aren't complaining about getting caught out.

56 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

6 minutes is plenty long enough, even to type it all out manually. Only issue would be if you're close to the sell-out time, then every second counts!

53 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

You are indeed right. Good job you mentioned it. I have 4 of us coming into work and we will definitely be going over the 60 F5's between us.

22 minutes ago, mufcok said:

All sorts coming out on here I never knew.. so if there's 2 of us trying from the same house (assume that means same IP), then it's collectively 60 refreshes?..

18 minutes ago, Logan1996 said:

this has to be a new thing surely? I tried and got tickets back when i was in my uni halls in 2013 and that was a campus that had 500+ students and i knew 15/20 people at least trying 

Yeah it doesn't seem to add up. And surely you don't need 60 refreshes a minute anyway. Seem way too excessive to be refreshing that much on a page that won't load as quick!

Edited by pentura