My best tips for ticket day....

Apone

Can I check a couple of things - 2017 was my first time ad for my 50th and  now completely hooked and desperate to get tickets this time!

1 -Should you use 'back' button if you get through to booking page and it freezes - last year I got through and page kept freezing so I kept hitting back button and it kinda refreshed pages. Got tickets though so all good.  I am getting bit confused with F5 and back button.

2- I like thectip that all are silent on whatsapp until tickets are bought - but I am worried if 2 in our group get through and are inputting the same details at the same time it will cause problems - or is it fine and it only stops you once tickets have been purchased ?

Id imagine it's practically impossible for two people to put the same details in at the exact same time. One of you will be first and that person will get the tickets, the other person will get a message saying that tickets have already been bought for that reg number.

F5 refreshes the page so if you've put in the details and it freezes don't refresh as you'll get booted back to the holding page. Press the back button and you'll be able to put the details in again, don't click refresh or press F5, they do the same thing.

Thanks madyaker - so F5 button in the beginning until and if you are lucky enough to get onto booking page/ and back button once you're on the booking page and if the page freezes.

And I wasn't completely clear in my first question - I didn't mean that you might end up buying tickets twice for same reg numbers - but whether more than one person could be inputting the same details 6 people at the same time before reaching payments stage - is that possible ? but I think the answer to my query is that yes - and once one person has paid for tickets the other person wouldn't be able to pay - but seetickets would have no problem with the same details being input from different IP addresses in various parts of the country

Sorry answers to get this alright desperate to get tickets. We all are on this thread

1 hour ago, Stu H said:

Seetickets DO now use a bot blocking product. I don't know which one yet, but it doesn't really matter.

I could put a separate thread about the specifics of how these work, if of interest (I work for a number of major internet brands in cyber security).

Basically, anything automated will get blocked. But many tabs, with a large amount of hits from the same IP, will struggle to get through.

If you're going to use multiple machines in the same household, I'd advise trying via a VPN, a different one per machine.

What sort of things are you referring to here, auto refresh?

Is the Chrome keyword extension ok to use (the one suggested earlier in this thread to make it quicker putting in reg numbers, post codes and card number)? Paranoid about getting 'blocked'

16 minutes ago, mufcok said:

What sort of things are you referring to here, auto refresh?

Is the Chrome keyword extension ok to use (the one suggested earlier in this thread to make it quicker putting in reg numbers, post codes and card number)? Paranoid about getting 'blocked'

On a basic level, bot blockers look for non-human behaviour, so:

1) Any automation (e.g. some code to keep trying the booking page over & over)

2) refreshing a page faster than a human pressing F5 (hundreds a minute)

3) altered headers (don’t worry about that one)

4) traversing through a website in a ‘non-standard’ manner (eg trying to get to a page further through the booking process without starting on the first one!)

5) many tabs or browsers open 

seetickets rate-limit connections to the servers.

Glastonbury’s actual advice is pretty good. Just stick to one browser, with one tab, that you F5 every few seconds. Get other family or friends on other machines, ideally in another location, to be trying.

i fully expect SeeTickets to crash at 8:55am. Why change the habit of a lifetime?! 

I work on this kind of tech every day, & while seetickets aren’t world-beaters in that space, there’s no silver bullet to getting through. Just F5 & crossed-fingers! ?

i seem to have had joy before on very fast internet connections, but that’s pure coincidence! Plenty get through on 4G.

best of luck everyone! I’m bricking it!

(oh, the Chrome extension should be fine!)

Edited by Stu H

7 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I can't recall, do we know why 2017 was twice as long as the other more recent years?

Site issues I believe. The ticket gods were looking down on me that year, got through in the first 5 minutes but many were left with a blank white screen. Perhaps based on what server you hit at See Tickets but seemed the majority of tickets were shifted after 9:15 when they sorted the problem. My guess is it would have been on par with the other years for selling out minus the crashing.

A longer ticket availability window feels much less worse than the whole thing selling out in the blink of an eye. Maybe it would be an idea to make tickets available in blocks of say 20,000 and when a block is close to selling out, release the next one. A staggered release like that will extend the time and improve the experience. 

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

Maybe it would be an idea to make tickets available in blocks of say 20,000 and when a block is close to selling out, release the next one. 

I think you would find that, in reality that would be like some of the campervan pass/secret resales.  You get into a queue waiting, then a sold out message, then someone writes on here that it's not sold out and you retry and get back in a queue, so just a different set of frustrations. 

I'm not sure it would operate as slickly as you would hope.

On 9/27/2018 at 4:04 PM, Madyaker said:

Does anyone know if a prepaid MasterCard or a Revolut card will work?

I can't see why Revolut wouldn't work?

I took it to Spain with me and used it for all sorts of online transactions and never had an issue!

My old man's credit card got blocked for the 2017 tickets so we missed out - he phoned the bank and wasn't able to sort of authorisation for such a payment in time, plus it was a Sunday anyway

Will definitely load up the Revolut card!!

21 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Those 26 minutes in 2015 were particularly harrowing :( 

That was my first Glastonbury, and managed to get through at about 23 mins if recall - false sense of security, as the next 2 didn't get a sniff. Thankfully have a friend who got through the other years. The fact I'm even reading this thread shows trying new measures now.

9 hours ago, clarkete said:

I think you would find that, in reality that would be like some of the campervan pass/secret resales.  You get into a queue waiting, then a sold out message, then someone writes on here that it's not sold out and you retry and get back in a queue, so just a different set of frustrations. 

I'm not sure it would operate as slickly as you would hope.

It may have already been mentioned in the thread, but in coach/main sale it's worth trying for another 5-10 mins after see tickets announce sold out as I'm sure last time someone on here got them. Presumably some people must have got kicked out after submitting or entered incorrectly and tickets released back in to pot.

Preping and panicking about Sunday I decided to revisit the FAQ on the Glastonbury website.

A couple of things really stood out that I had a misconception over. Thought I'd share the list to refresh people. 

It was number 2 and then number 6 in the list. 

Would hate to be locked out for 10 minutes in a process likely to only take 30 minutes!!!

DO YOU HAVE ANY TOP TIPS FOR GETTING A TICKET?

1. Make sure you have all your registration details (including postcodes) ready and checked in advance, that there are sufficient cleared funds on the card you intend to use to book, and that you know all the security information for that card.

2. Be sure to enter all your details accurately once you reach the booking page. You will have 6 minutes to complete the transaction once you have entered the booking process.

3. Be persistent and patient – there are likely to be more people trying to buy tickets than there are tickets available, so inevitably not everyone will be able to book tickets, but the longer you try the more likely you are to get a ticket.

4. Stick to one tab, in one window, so you can focus on entering your details without confusing your browser.

5. If the page ‘hangs’ and you can’t get any further, try pressing back once and then continue your booking from that point. If that doesn’t help, close your browser and start again. Please don’t continue to refresh the page more than 10 minutes after entering your details as your access to the page will have expired. You will need to close the browser and start again to gain fresh access to the booking page.

6. If an attempt to book is already held against your registration number, or your 6 minutes on the booking page elapses, your registration number will be locked for up to 10 minutes whilst the transaction is attempted, but will be released if the transaction fails, to give you the chance to try again, if there are still tickets available.

Getting nervy reading this thread and refreshing my memory. Last 2 years I've been I've got tickets for myself and 2 others, now its myself and 4 others which is a bit more stressful.

Can somebody remind me please? Postcodes do not matter if theres a space or no space inbetween them, correct?

Also, I'm sure we don't need to, but full names aren't required when booking? Just reg no and postcode?

Thanks in advance :)

Just now, across97 said:

Getting nervy reading this thread and refreshing my memory. Last 2 years I've been I've got tickets for myself and 2 others, now its myself and 4 others which is a bit more stressful.

Can somebody remind me please? Postcodes do not matter if theres a space or no space inbetween them, correct?

Also, I'm sure we don't need to, but full names aren't required when booking? Just reg no and postcode?

Thanks in advance :)

does not matter on postcodes spaces or no spaces is fine .....  and just reg number and postcode is required yes 

44 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

number 2 is intriguing ... dont think ive ever seen a countdown on that page before ..or maybe its just a virtual one ... I did see one on the take that sale so maybe they have implemented for 'glastonbury now ?

Agreed,

It could also cause some complacency as the tickets wont be saved for you to take 6 minutes and could sell out when you think you have 6 minutes (I'm sure its 6 minutes without a count down)

Unless the whole process is changed and that doesn't warrent any consideration!

1 hour ago, drunk pumpkin said:

6. If an attempt to book is already held against your registration number, or your 6 minutes on the booking page elapses, your registration number will be locked for up to 10 minutes whilst the transaction is attempted, but will be released if the transaction fails, to give you the chance to try again, if there are still tickets available.

So what does this mean.... An attempt to book? Does that mean if your registration number is typed in by two people at the same time it will be locked, or just if one of those typing has actually pressed "pay"? Presumably the second, as it allows for the first transaction to go through? But then.... Its not the regiration number that's locked, rather the one attempt? 

That's really confusing. Having teams of six prevents this to a degree but if two people from one team get through to entering reg details at the same time, should one of them stop?? But then.... Not take longer than six mins....?? 

18 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

no no no ...just through Glastonbury site ticket link 

Cheers Pal.

My blummin phone has gone on the blink now and disabled itself. Got to wait for Apple to reset it. Thank god it happened now and not on Thursday.

Yes, number 2 is a bit ambiguous. Having 6 minutes to complete a transaction isn’t the same as tickets being held for 6 minutes until you do. 

Number 6 could cause problems for groups. If I’m reading it correctly then potentially, if there’s a problem with one registration number in a group of a few, that reg number will be blocked for ten minutes and might have to be sacrificed if the rest of the group want to get tickets before it’s released. 

15 hours ago, Stu H said:

4) traversing through a website in a ‘non-standard’ manner (eg trying to get to a page further through the booking process without starting on the first one!)

This is quite relevant actually as after the first few thousand people have got in, the full URL to the purchasing page is usually published by someone and everyone tries to get in via that. If this were interpreted as 'bad behaviour' by the policy on the site then you could be reducing your chances...

The F5 rate is also possibly important. I tend to hit it every 2-3 seconds rather than several times a second. This is partly because at that rate I might accidentally hit F5 again and trash a session I have got, but also because I also know how those front end filters work and they can be set to interpret this as spurious behavior (though I should think that the threshold is very low given that See know how people go about F5'ing at speed to get the attention of the system).

8 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Yes, number 2 is a bit ambiguous. Having 6 minutes to complete a transaction isn’t the same as tickets being held for 6 minutes until you do. 

Number 6 could cause problems for groups. If I’m reading it correctly then potentially, if there’s a problem with one registration number in a group of a few, that reg number will be blocked for ten minutes and might have to be sacrificed if the rest of the group want to get tickets before it’s released. 

is the possibility though that a group all gets blocked due to one person having the 6 minutes elapse, this could mean that all of those reg numbers entered into that booking are frozen for 10 minutes and you wouldn't know.

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

What's everyone's thoughts on couples trying from the same place on the same wifi? would you recommend one trying 4g and one wifi or both trying on the laptops?

Myself and 3 others are going into my place of work.... all on 4 different PCs.... one using chrome, one using edge etc. Then will all have 4g on our phones too.

My hubby is taking 2 into his work and doing the same thing..... and 3 are going into another persons place of work.

Everyone else trying from home.

12 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

What's everyone's thoughts on couples trying from the same place on the same wifi? would you recommend one trying 4g and one wifi or both trying on the laptops?

Normally it's me and my old man in his place using the same WiFi. Never had any technical issues running it this way in the past