My best tips for ticket day....

Apone

1 hour ago, rhg_99 said:

whats the general consensus around using more than one laptop/computer. Waste of time? I normally borrow my family's or friends' and have a two or three on the go.

have as many as possible, but try to use them on unique IP addresses, by hotspotting a phone or borrowing a mifi router or dongle etc

13 minutes ago, adamski said:

Here's my tip. Check your hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts), and make sure there isn't an entry for the tickets web page that you put there on a previous year....

This ^

Anything from previous years won't work this time round...but it would be a good idea to know how to make a Hosts file change anyway....

Do you need to put a space in your postcode? Can never remember!

I was successful in 09, 10 and 11 but never have been since (other than last year when a mate casually managed to get us some on his phone, lucky prick) - Planning it with military precision this year, spreadsheet at all

Just now, Zacko said:

Do you need to put a space in your postcode? Can never remember!

I was successful in 09, 10 and 11 but never have been since (other than last year when a mate casually managed to get us some on his phone, lucky prick) - Planning it with military precision this year, spreadsheet at all

it doesnt matter, with or without space is fine

14 hours ago, Michaels denim shorts said:

have as many as possible, but try to use them on unique IP addresses, by hotspotting a phone or borrowing a mifi router or dongle etc

So this thing about different IP addresses is bothering me. This year my housemate and I will both be trying, whereas previously I've been the only one on my IP going for it. Does this mean that either I need to banish him to his girlfriend's house or go into Uni? Both tricky as a) my understanding is that for one reason or another he hasn't actually told his girlfriend he's going to try for tickets and b) getting to university by 9am and being ready sounds stressful, and won't bunch of people potentially be using the same IP there??

15 hours ago, adamski said:

Here's my tip. Check your hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts), and make sure there isn't an entry for the tickets web page that you put there on a previous year....

I have got into my hosts screen.... what do I need to do now? I presume nothing because the ticket address isn't in there?

image.thumb.png.b243fe0e756e8f3003e223a0621420dd.png

Edited by CeriG

5 hours ago, Sasperella said:

So this thing about different IP addresses is bothering me. This year my housemate and I will both be trying, whereas previously I've been the only one on my IP going for it. Does this mean that either I need to banish him to his girlfriend's house or go into Uni? Both tricky as a) my understanding is that for one reason or another he hasn't actually told his girlfriend he's going to try for tickets and b) getting to university by 9am and being ready sounds stressful, and won't bunch of people potentially be using the same IP there??

Likewise, surely 2 people using 2 different laptops on the same wifi isn't going to affect your chances of getting tickets......is it? I've managed for the last 3 years.

On 9/18/2018 at 6:18 PM, oneeye said:

I’ve always used notepad; cut & paste easy peasy. There, that’s my top tip ?

This. It doesn't add formatting or anything like word could, keeps things simple.

5 hours ago, EZYSEY said:

Likewise, surely 2 people using 2 different laptops on the same wifi isn't going to affect your chances of getting tickets......is it? I've managed for the last 3 years.

I've been lucky to get through on 2 laptops from home, no vpn or changing ip addresses, manual refresh on 1 and auto seetickets refresh on the other, admittedly 3 years ago.

On 9/19/2018 at 2:53 PM, adamski said:

Is the IP address that you need to include in the host file available for this year yet, or does this get updated closer to ticket day?  I ran a DNS lookup on glastonbury.seetickets.com and had three IP addresses returned.  

1 hour ago, BackpackFullOfWarmBeer said:

Is the IP address that you need to include in the host file available for this year yet, or does this get updated closer to ticket day?  I ran a DNS lookup on glastonbury.seetickets.com and had three IP addresses returned.  

IIRC there may not be one even up to the end of ticket day. The IP's you can see now are likely to be the servers on rotation on the normal load-balancing setup, so trying to access them using a host file setup will not gain you any advantage, you might as well just go to glastonbury.seetickets.com and have the choice of whichever one becomes available next!

The host file hack is only useful if one of the *spare* ticket servers, that would be used in the case of a problem with one of the normal public-facing servers, comes online early, ready to sell tickets if needed when an emergency happens. In that case, it's just sitting there waiting in case of a problem, and if its IP address can be discovered, the host file hack can let people use it to buy tickets before it's properly put into public-facing service. But as far as I know, nobody has yet discovered a backup server sitting in readiness for this year's sale.

I'm sure if someone of this parish does discover one, it'll become common knowledge on here very quickly and off we go....! :)

• Like 2

On 9/19/2018 at 7:53 PM, adamski said:

Never done this before, but will do this time.

What’s the purpose though, as I’ve not done previously yet been successful, why is it damaging my chances?

26 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Never done this before, but will do this time.

What’s the purpose though, as I’ve not done previously yet been successful, why is it damaging my chances?

About three or four years ago, someone noticed all of the traffic was only going to one of the servers open, and suggested a backdoor style entry which people on here used. It will only be damaging your chances if you edited the file all those years ago and haven’t changed it since.

49 minutes ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

About three or four years ago, someone noticed all of the traffic was only going to one of the servers open, and suggested a backdoor style entry which people on here used. It will only be damaging your chances if you edited the file all those years ago and haven’t changed it since.

Thank you, now deleted...

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Thank you, now deleted...

Hmm....have you deleted an entry in the Hosts file or the file itself?  Your previous comment suggests you haven't edited before so Im just concerned you've got rid of the file itself....which would put you at a disadvantage if you needed to use it.....

Having too many PC's or using an auto-F5 app on the same IP can get you blocked and you just get the grey screen of death.

Think we were victim of this in 2017 as had 6 PC's and a mac hammering away on main sale and didn't get a sniff - but my phone on 4G got in but crashed out on the registration page - so resale it was...

This year I think I have it covered - PC & mac at home, tablet on 4G, VPN on PC at home so I appear to be in Europe and I'll dial into work and use their 10Gb internet pipe for an extra bite. 

just to check, when buying coach tickets you choose the place you wanna depart from at the end of the buying process yeh? This year we are able to go from a lot of different places (Brighton, London, Southampton, Bristol) cos we're all spread out so can basically go from wherever has tickets remaining, as long as we do get to select the departure point at the end. It comes up as a drop down list of the different locations right?

8 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

just to check, when buying coach tickets you choose the place you wanna depart from at the end of the buying process yeh? This year we are able to go from a lot of different places (Brighton, London, Southampton, Bristol) cos we're all spread out so can basically go from wherever has tickets remaining, as long as we do get to select the departure point at the end. It comes up as a drop down list of the different locations right?

As far as I remember you have to choose the place at the beginning, after the day you want. So Weds/Thurs, then the town, the the time (if applicable), then the regs and postcodes and then the payment info. So you'd need to choose your departure point before that - obviously it makes it more stressful that way as you might get through and then click on a few only to find sold out.