The Cure

JoeyT

The Cure  

706 members have voted

1. 1. If The Cure were to headline would you be there? I'm intrigued due to the varied opinions of them on here.

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Never been a fan so will definitely be elsewhere.

It was bizarrely comforting to be plodding around in mud in my wellies.

There was a small mud hole on Fri at the back near the bar zig-zags (gave me Gate A flashbacks, they did). I clocked the amused guys watching me too late to realise the script. It was nearly welly deep and I hit it square on. I did not stumble or break stride which quenched their splutters of laughter before they really began. Thank you, Glastonbury, you have trained me well.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
18 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Just watching it again. One day I'm going to get over not being there for this set. One day...

Did you see them anywhere else last summer? Seeing them at NOS Alive and particularly Glasgow helped me with missing it but deep down I know the Glastonbury set was a level above both.

18 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Did you see them anywhere else last summer? Seeing them at NOS Alive and particularly Glasgow helped me with missing it but deep down I know the Glastonbury set was a level above both.

No I didn't. Stop rubbing it in! :P 

The arena tour for that imminent album release should be soon though, right?

11 minutes ago, priest17 said:

All the cool kids were 3 meters outside the JPT kinda hearing The Streets anyway buddy

And there was me thinking that I owned myself...

43 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

To be fair The Subways do have at least three pretty alright songs.

Got to the arena from the campsite around 8pm just in time for The Courteeners. 7 of our group of 9 went back to our tents after them.

&Wot

If reading Leeds somehow go ahead I might actually get a ticket this year. I'm 28 but fuck it.

3 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

I wasn’t at Glasto but saw them at Hyde Park 2018 (British Summer Time) and Bellahouston Park 2019 (Glasgow Summer Sessions) — both stellar performances. Their Glasto show was fabulous for sure, but I believe they were by no means lesser on the other two occasions — it’s just that Glasto magic/wow factor may have done some trick on those who were there (ok one can argue that makes a difference). To further look into things objectively, they played 24 songs for 2 hours at Glasto as opposed to 29 songs in London and 27 songs in Glasgow, and both shows lasted 2 hrs 15 mins, which is undeniably an advantage over Glasto.

My 2 cents.

On 10/5/2019 at 2:47 PM, Ddiamondd said:

Just stuck this on and got teary eyed within about 0.005seconds of Plainsong starting.

It was so, so, so special. Will never forget it.

Whenever I watch this back I can feel the cool air on my arms and smell the whisky we were drinking. I've seen 500 bands, and maybe it's because this is closer in my memory, but this was the best gig I've ever been at.

I was working on Sunday night and missed this, but caught bits and pieces drifting over from the Pyramid as I washed pots in hospitality. 

I hadn't watched it until this morning, and what a wonderful set to wake up and watch. I was transfixed, despite only really knowing half the material, and most of that pretty poorly.

I also missed  Stormzy on Friday due to work, so did pretty poorly on Pyramid headliners in 2019...

As the years pass by and sets are looked back upon this will stand out as an absolute classic, the cure were the reason I first went to Glastonbury back in 1990. 

This set just seemed bliss  a perfect way to end a great weekend for me, they are defintley a band to admire and cherish, I know it's a cliche but they are unique and special and there will never be another band who have made such melancholy music one minute and perfect pop songs the next. 

4 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

This thread is painful to read. My favourite band headlined Glastonbury - probably the last time they ever will - and people all over (even non-fans) say it was one of the best sets they've ever seen. And I didn't get a ticket :(

You're not alone, I was literally just coming here to say the same thing. I need to not read this thread, it makes me sad.

The only positive spin on it I can make is that I have already endured the most heartbreaking miss that the Glastonbury fates could present me with - nothing will ever sting as much.

And, as I sad in the classic performances thread, I do get a lot of joy out of being so proud of the band that I love absolutely smashing it out of the park, and receiving some of the plaudits and attention they have long deserved.