The Cure

JoeyT

The Cure  

706 members have voted

1. 1. If The Cure were to headline would you be there? I'm intrigued due to the varied opinions of them on here.

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Never been a fan so will definitely be elsewhere.

As A Cure fan, even i'm surprised (and pleased) at this almost universal acclaim for the band.

Us fans knew they were this good the whole time...

Glastonbury did seem like a special performance, although all the clips i've seen of them this year seem similarly awesome with that crisp sound.

My first ever girlfriend when I was 13 was into The Cure when all the other girls in the year were into Bros and New Kids etc. She was the coolest girl you could meet. She gave me a tape with Pictures of You on it. We lost touch in high school then I found out she had died at only 36. Went to her funeral and felt so sad we didn’t keep in touch. Had never seen The Cure live despite being at a Glasto 95 (left before they came on as had to work on the Monday) until Sunday. Totally blew me away and have to admit having very wet eyes when they played that song 2nd in the set. Them and The Chemical Brothers were my top two in a huge list of highlights. 

RIP CL X

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

I’m a fan, was at GF as my 50th this year and was super happy when The Cure were confirmed but somebody had said to me his voice wasn’t great now, er how wrong could you be, 60yo and absolutely smashed it, I found the set spellbinding, the whole band shone. The soundscape on the Pyramid stage is just phenomenal (I was dead centre just behind desks and second row speakers) and The Cure made very best use of it. 

Could get some here but listening to Lovecats yesterday did have me wonder if that maybe a slight stretch for RS vocally now, it’s just a little more demanding ??

2 hours ago, Nudenut said:

Could get some here but listening to Lovecats yesterday did have me wonder if that maybe a slight stretch for RS vocally now, it’s just a little more demanding ??

That was my theory too - it's a tricky vocal and he didn't want to fluff it on national TV :)

That set was just the perfect end to the festival. I was up the hill near the disabled platform and all around there were rows of gently swaying bodies from the start. No groups sitting down for chats or to roll one, everyone just drifting along with the band.

Bob's genuine joy at being there was like The Cure's version of pyro.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Anarion said:

Watched it yesterday. They were great, even though I find most of the songs a bit boring. I take it Robert Smith usually isn't that animated and happy?

It's pretty much unheard of, I think he felt just how well that had worked as much as any of us. Which is bloody lovely.

On 10/17/2018 at 9:10 PM, crocodiles said:

Bought three imaginary boys after hearing 1st John peel set . Saw them at liverpool mountford hall supported by Bauhaus and the mighty wah . Great gig . Next time I saw them they supported siouxsie and the banshees when Robert Smith played guitar with them . Last saw them about year ago in Manchester still fantastic still stunning live

Hi I used to go mountford hall in the late 70's early 80's remember seeing the Cure but I always thought Wah Heat and Bauhaus supported Magazine, maybe you are right and I am wrong it would be good to get a full list of all the acts that played there, dates as well because I saw so many bands at that time. Happy days 

15 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I’ve watched the recording of this set three times now. This is up there with Radiohead 2017 in terms of replayability

i cannot... stress enough... how good his voice sounds. His voice hasn’t aged a day

Totally agree. I last saw them in 1983 and Robert sounds as good now as he did then, if not better. 

Didn't go this year, but The Cure are my favourite band and I watched the set on TV.

Wow. So good.

The last seven or so years I keep going back to the Bestival set that they released as an album as I was at that and it was fantastic. But it sounds like shit compared to their set at Glasto - that voice! 

I could properly feel the absolute joy radiating for the last half hour, and I was sat at home. Totally brilliant. 

Bob dancing without his guitar, couldn't stop grinning! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DavidY said:

Hi I used to go mountford hall in the late 70's early 80's remember seeing the Cure but I always thought Wah Heat and Bauhaus supported Magazine, maybe you are right and I am wrong it would be good to get a full list of all the acts that played there, dates as well because I saw so many bands at that time. Happy days 

No bauhaus and wah supported the cure . Was first time I heard a forest live .

1st time i saw magazine was at the empire and they were supported by simple minds .

Mountford hall was great loads of top gigs there .

Buzzcocks supported by joy division 

Specials with dexys and selector 

Undertones so many great concerts....a long time ago ?

I stand corrected you are right I just looked it was magazine with bauhaus and wah .

The cure were supported by the passions. 

Blimey I'm older than I thought 

Edited by crocodiles

2 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I am just rewatching it on iPlayer... it was fantastic at the time, but watching again on tv is making me realise how absolutely sublime it was.

Have downloaded but not had chance to watch yet will watch over weekend 

3 hours ago, crocodiles said:

Have downloaded but not had chance to watch yet will watch over weekend 

It really is a treat. An album-like journey with zero filler that still managed to be daring even with a big pop finish.

Being haunted by that version of Disintegration. Driving, that's the word. Maybe relentless.

13 hours ago, frostypaw said:

It really is a treat. An album-like journey with zero filler that still managed to be daring even with a big pop finish.

Being haunted by that version of Disintegration. Driving, that's the word. Maybe relentless.

I'm half way through watching it now truly magnificent. So glad I was there definitely my favourite headline set of the ones I've seen .