JoeyT

The Cure

The Cure  

677 members have voted

1. 1. If The Cure were to headline would you be there? I'm intrigued due to the varied opinions of them on here.

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Never been a fan so will definitely be elsewhere.

And yeah @dentalplan - I had in my mind he would sprint back out, go “I hate this song but fuck it, it’s Glasto” and break into a double speed Lovecats before surfing.

It was at least 50/50.

6 hours ago, HotblackDesiato said:

I’d decided to brave the front at the Pyramid for the first time

God dammit man what were you thinking.

There is very little in the world as good as that.

Having seen them a few times, I wasn’t holding out much for Sunday but I couldn’t have been more wrong. Absolutely blew me away, sound was incredible. 

Just rewatched it today. Astounding on all accounts. Career highlight, surely.

On 7/2/2019 at 6:46 PM, Winslow Leach said:

God they were good weren’t they. Some of the clearest sound I’ve ever heard at a festival.

I've seen them live three times - most recently Hyde Park 2018 - and while the sound was great on every occasion, their Glasto set was just something else through headphones, utterly incredible. I've re-watched A Night Like This dozens of times to hear that intro - so big, yet so ethereal. Surely one of their greatest ever moments.

• Upvote 1

Best set ever. Anywhere. I had the best time. A stranger even came to cuddle me when I was an emotional mess. Such a brilliant evening. 

32 minutes ago, Adam Payne said:

I've seen them live three times - most recently Hyde Park 2018 - and while the sound was great on every occasion, their Glasto set was just something else through headphones, utterly incredible. I've re-watched A Night Like This dozens of times to hear that intro - so big, yet so ethereal. Surely one of their greatest ever moments.

DAMN that guitar solo too... 

I don't know why but I said to my mate after 10 minutes this was going to make me blub, and it did. Just started watching it on I player and it sounds almost as good as I remember being there on Sunday. I rashly said earlier in this thread that it was the best headliner since the Stones but in hindsight I was absolutely bang on with that statement.  The finest voice in music 30 years ago and still is in my opinion

9 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

I don't know why but I said to my mate after 10 minutes this was going to make me blub, and it did. Just started watching it on I player and it sounds almost as good as I remember being there on Sunday. I rashly said earlier in this thread that it was the best headliner since the Stones but in hindsight I was absolutely bang on with that statement.  The finest voice in music 30 years ago and still is in my opinion

Just watched it back again for the 6th time since being home. Just cried again. Honestly the best headliner I have seen at any festival 

34 minutes ago, Digi said:

Just watched it back again for the 6th time since being home. Just cried again. Honestly the best headliner I have seen at any festival 

Also rewatching and crying. Pure genius.

Done two rewatches over here, fucking hell it was good.

I love how there wasn't much in the way of enthusiasm for them on here before hand, and we've all come away from the gig with our tiny little minds blown. One for the ages.

• Upvote 1

Watched this on Iplayer. I am very happy that I made the right decision in going to the West Holts to watch Janelle, but the Cure smashed it.

When did a Sunday at Glastonbury have everyone leaving so happy? Everyone pleased with their headline choice.

Yep watching on iplayer myself tonight. Fantastic stuff and great to think I was there 

I'm not a die hard fan but it's definitely in my top 5 pyramid headline sets that I've seen. 

Easily my highlight of the weekend and I'm no Cure fanatic by any stretch.

Some of our gang went the Streets and some of us watched The Cure, I'm so glad I chose this one.

The good thing about the Pyramid is that generally the sound is the best of the festival on that stage depending upon where you can stand of course. But that sound was unbelievable. John Robb has done a good review of the set on his blog.

https://louderthanwar.com/10-reasons-why-the-cure-glastonbury-20129/

Band of the weekend and an all time great glasto headline set for me. Got in the barrier and loved every minute of it. Didn't feel like 2 hours at all.

As A Cure fan, even i'm surprised (and pleased) at this almost universal acclaim for the band.

Us fans knew they were this good the whole time...

Glastonbury did seem like a special performance, although all the clips i've seen of them this year seem similarly awesome with that crisp sound.

My first ever girlfriend when I was 13 was into The Cure when all the other girls in the year were into Bros and New Kids etc. She was the coolest girl you could meet. She gave me a tape with Pictures of You on it. We lost touch in high school then I found out she had died at only 36. Went to her funeral and felt so sad we didn’t keep in touch. Had never seen The Cure live despite being at a Glasto 95 (left before they came on as had to work on the Monday) until Sunday. Totally blew me away and have to admit having very wet eyes when they played that song 2nd in the set. Them and The Chemical Brothers were my top two in a huge list of highlights. 

RIP CL X

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

It has gone down as my favourite ever Pyramid Headliner taking over from Neil Young from 2009. The sound was perfect and that voice.... I was mesmerised from start to finish, such an emotional and life affirming moment

I’m a fan, was at GF as my 50th this year and was super happy when The Cure were confirmed but somebody had said to me his voice wasn’t great now, er how wrong could you be, 60yo and absolutely smashed it, I found the set spellbinding, the whole band shone. The soundscape on the Pyramid stage is just phenomenal (I was dead centre just behind desks and second row speakers) and The Cure made very best use of it. 

Could get some here but listening to Lovecats yesterday did have me wonder if that maybe a slight stretch for RS vocally now, it’s just a little more demanding ??

Was always a casual fan but that last 45 minutes was something special. Bob Smiths little giggling girl type "I cant believe it" hand over the face at the end was lovely aswell. Lots of "awwww look at him" around us.