JoeyT

The Cure

The Cure  

677 members have voted

1. 1. If The Cure were to headline would you be there? I'm intrigued due to the varied opinions of them on here.

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Never been a fan so will definitely be elsewhere.

That you can see Kylie and The Cure both kill it on the same stage within a few hours of one another is why it's the goddamn GOAT.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That you can see Kylie and The Cure both kill it on the same stage within a few hours of one another is why it's the goddamn GOAT.

This TBH. I was thinking that while watching The Cure, how amazing to see two such different things on the same stage in one day.

Factor in that between that we got a pretty buzzing Vampire Weekend set and THAT show from Miley... Well.

Yup. Post Miley we also just sacked off Billy Eilish and Kamasi and gave in to the easy option of having a kebab and watching Ramsay Bolton and the lads in magic hour.  Good stuff.

Brilliant.. End ov 

48 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I enjoyed the Cure - and it sounded great - but they were The Cure. 

It might still have been 1986. If it had been the ticket would have been much cheaper and I'd have been nearer the stage.  :P 

There were quite a few post 1986 song played on Sunday. Post 1995, not so much.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

There were quite a few post 1986 song played on Sunday. 

yeah, I know. What i meant was they were played with the same delivery, of just putting it out there in a not-very-special way. 

No magic, same as 1986.

Edited by eFestivals

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yeah, I know. What i meant was they were played with the same delivery, of just putting it out there in a not-very-special way. 

No magic, same as 1986.

I felt magic.

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I felt magic.

Ditto. The most magical thing for me was watching him shed his goth persona for a little while and just being genuinely happy to be there. It was an incredibly sweet thing to witness 

..  and the sound engineer was really fucking magical! 

Edited by Digi

35 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

No magic, same as 1986.

How you could watch that set and say there was no magic is baffling. It was utterly spellbinding IMO. 

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's us lot you can hear chanting "One More Tune!" at the end of the BBC coverage.

That was half the crowd you narcissist!

We were stood at the bushes/trees about halfway back on the main field. It was busy and was heartening to see the crowd stay, far fewer leavers than for Radiohead last time. The sound was a key factor. It really was astonishingly clear and bright. 

Around 5 or 6 goosebump songs. Fabulous stuff, I really should listen to them a bit more. 

Edited by Robofish

I thought The Cure were fantastic on the night, but the past two days I've spent just thinking about that performance and digging through their discography again, and fucking hell. What a band they really are. The Cure are one of those bands where their discography is so deep and consistent you can take out a big chunk of your listening space and devote it just to them, reminiscing over songs and albums you loved before. Seeing Robert Smith break character for a little while was so endearing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, eFestivals said:

No magic, same as 1986.

I think that was precisely why I enjoyed it so much to be honest! It was like being there in the late 80s early 90s, they haven't changed at all, they sound great still, and how Robert Smith has kept that stunning voice for that long is beyond me. There aren't many bands who can maintain their sound from 30 years ago. It really got to me, it was like turning back the clock to my youth when I loved them but never managed to see then. Wonderful performance

• Upvote 1

I chose The Cure over The Streets and CATQ, and I’m happy I did. Half expected to be bored half way through the set, but that just didn’t happen. I was completely knackered by then and barely keeping myself upright due to a lack of energy, but I loved every minute. The sound was fantastic and R Smith’s voice is as good as it was 20 years ago. Brilliant way to end the festival. 

Goosebumps when I re watched it on iPlayer yesterday.

6 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Seeing Robert Smith break character for a little while was so endearing.

Pure amazing what y’all did to the man.

I had been joking about Bob crowdsurfing a few months ago but if there were two more songs I think he fucking might have.

I’d decided to brave the front at the Pyramid for the first time and obviously thought that it’d be a nostalgic set from a band that have ‘been there’ throughout my life. Never really a fan but knew the tunes. But as an ending for the world’s biggest festival?

By fuck but it was a transformative experience! I’ve seen hundreds of bands live throughout the world but the sound those five men made - the musicianship - the unashamed genius of the tunes! An absolute moment in time I’ll never forget. Huge fan now.

Edited by HotblackDesiato
  • Upvote 1

I left after about 6 songs. Didn't do anything for me. Band were tight, voice was good . I just found it lack lustre and went to see the end of christine and the queens then got into arcadia nice and early 

13 minutes ago, daclown28 said:

I left after about 6 songs. Didn't do anything for me.

I thought it was slow going at the start. It didn't really wake up until 'A Forest', which was an hour or so in.

7 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I thought The Cure were fantastic on the night, but the past two days I've spent just thinking about that performance and digging through their discography again, and fucking hell. What a band they really are. The Cure are one of those bands where their discography is so deep and consistent you can take out a big chunk of your listening space and devote it just to them, reminiscing over songs and albums you loved before. Seeing Robert Smith break character for a little while was so endearing.

Did this in reverse. Gave up a good portion of the spring to properly get into their records and not just focus on Disintegration / the early goth period / a dozen or so singles

Made the experience richer, but didn’t expect sheer communal bliss quite like that. Bless them.