The Cure

JoeyT

The Cure  

706 members have voted

1. 1. If The Cure were to headline would you be there? I'm intrigued due to the varied opinions of them on here.

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Never been a fan so will definitely be elsewhere.

1 minute ago, jow95 said:

These bands can often fail to grab the imagination of a festival crowd where a huge portion of the audience wouldn't buy tickets to your shows if you played elsewhere. I thought the same happened with Radiohead in 2017 and a few others spring to mind

I'm hoping the clashiness of Sunday will mean chatty Cathy and Pyramid selfie types will have something better they actually want to do, than see The Cure. I'm good with a random song I don't know that goes on forever. I hope to be in exactly the mindset for that.

I was quite far forward for Radiohead and it was horrendously full of the uninterested. I mean if you don't recognise Let Down, then you've never heard Ok Computer so ..? (Of course, Radiohead messed up entirely by not having the screens on. Something I'll be ranting about for decades and will likely never forgive. :P )

2 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I'm hoping the clashiness of Sunday will mean chatty Cathy and Pyramid selfie types will have something better they actually want to do, than see The Cure. I'm good with a random song I don't know that goes on forever. I hope to be in exactly the mindset for that.

I was quite far forward for Radiohead and it was horrendously full of the uninterested. I mean if you don't recognise Let Down, then you've never heard Ok Computer so ..? (Of course, Radiohead messed up entirely by not having the screens on. Something I'll be ranting about for decades and will likely never forgive. :P )

I get what your saying and you're right if those people were elsewhere you might have a better time. However, if you're the band on stage its your job to recognise the crowd infront of you and take them with you, so to speak. Been dissapointed by the cure previously and in a very similar way to Radiohead i stand by that they are absolutely brilliant bands who create amazing music (to listen to through good headphones on my own at work), but live it can be very hit and miss. But ya know, one mans endless whining from Tom Yhorke is another mans genius expressing himself so

21 minutes ago, jow95 said:

I get what your saying and you're right if those people were elsewhere you might have a better time. However, if you're the band on stage its your job to recognise the crowd infront of you and take them with you, so to speak. Been dissapointed by the cure previously and in a very similar way to Radiohead i stand by that they are absolutely brilliant bands who create amazing music (to listen to through good headphones on my own at work), but live it can be very hit and miss. But ya know, one mans endless whining from Tom Yhorke is another mans genius expressing himself so

Ah see I've seen Radiohead at least 8 times and thought they were brilliant every time. A couple of times I thought the crowd could be better but they have always played brilliantly. If The Cure are as good as them live then I'd be very happy. I'm never too bothered about screens as a short person I am used to my gig experience not being an especially visual one. 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Ah see I've seen Radiohead at least 8 times and thought they were brilliant every time. A couple of times I thought the crowd could be better but they have always played brilliantly. If The Cure are as good as them live then I'd be very happy. I'm never too bothered about screens as a short person I am used to my gig experience not being an especially visual one. 

...you know that experience could be improved visually by some good filming put on big screens right? 

1 minute ago, jow95 said:

...you know that experience could be improved visually by some good filming put on big screens right? 

Yes but I'm used to going to fairly small venues where they don't exist but being near the back as my husband is a bit claustrophobic so just saying I am used to concerts not being a visual experience. I also think going to a gig and watching it effectively on a telly isn't great. It's nice for certain bits if they are doing something interesting that you can't see like crowd interaction but most of the time they're just playing instruments and hearing that is the more important part. 

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes but I'm used to going to fairly small venues where they don't exist but being near the back as my husband is a bit claustrophobic so just saying I am used to concerts not being a visual experience. I also think going to a gig and watching it effectively on a telly isn't great. It's nice for certain bits if they are doing something interesting that you can't see like crowd interaction but most of the time they're just playing instruments and hearing that is the more important part. 

i understand u now, thanks for clarifying :)

I think the thing with the screens is that, whether you personally watch them or not, that level of interaction does help to hold a crowd. If there's barely anything to look at and people are unfamiliar with a song that's when they get chatting.

I hope @scaryclaireyfairy is right and that by Sunday there will be less of the uninterested people there. The options elsewhere are so good, albeit missing a big dancy act, that people are unlikely to come along just because it's the Pyramid. They'll have popped that cherry on one of the other two nights hopefully. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jah_Roots said:

i think every Cure show i've been to has been pretty much that set-wise - usually with maybe 2 or 3 more obscure tracks thrown in.

and even tho' i love Bruce Springsteen and have followed him round the world - i totally agree that he got it very wrong for Glastonbury.

however, if you go and see Bruce 3 nights in a row, you get 3 different - like, completely different - shows.

when The Cure played those hammersmith shows a few years back i went to all 3 and with the exception of i think maybe 2 songs each night it was the exact same show - which i though was pretty sad given the history and back catalogue of the band.

To be fair, those Hammersmith shows were 'top' album celebration shows. If you look at The Cure's 3 night stint at Wembley in 2016 you'll see some pretty varied setlists.

17 minutes ago, Jah_Roots said:

i think every Cure show i've been to has been pretty much that set-wise - usually with maybe 2 or 3 more obscure tracks thrown in.

and even tho' i love Bruce Springsteen and have followed him round the world - i totally agree that he got it very wrong for Glastonbury.

however, if you go and see Bruce 3 nights in a row, you get 3 different - like, completely different - shows.

when The Cure played those hammersmith shows a few years back i went to all 3 and with the exception of i think maybe 2 songs each night it was the exact same show - which i though was pretty sad given the history and back catalogue of the band.

Oh I agree if you are a megafan hearing the obscure album track that is inevitably your favourite is wonderful but I think the thing is if you get to stadium/large arena size band then every night at least 10-20% of your audience will be made up of people who quite like you and have heard you're good live rather than die hard fans. I went to see Depeche Mode with some die hard fans and again they are a band that I'm a greatest hits fan of. We went to this meet up before and there were people suggesting they shouldn't play any of the songs I knew instead wanting to hear only album tracks and I realised then why they do stick to the hits with a couple thrown in because your die hard fans will come regardless but the floating fans, the ones who come once and will only come back if you do well enough want to hear those hits. 

If you are a big enough fan to go to multiple nights of the same artist you'd want Bruce for sure but I think at a festival you have to appreciate only a very small percentage in front of you are your fans. 

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Getting trolled by Keaveny on 6music this afternoon. He's just played Push Things Forward and followed it up with Pictures of You. Enthusing about how great both will be at Glastonbury.

Guess he's got a few clashes to sort through as well. 

20 minutes ago, Jah_Roots said:

fair enough.

but take any 3 nights of Bruce's River Tour 2016 and along with all the album tracks each night has a big rotation of the setlist.

so i don't buy that because they were Top album celebration shows it therefore follows there could be no variation between shows

I only went to one of those Hammersmith shows but was surprised that the sets didn't have much variation. However, those Hammersmith shows were a one-off and not part of a tour. They were in the same vein as the current Disintegration shows with fairly rigid setlists. Those shows however, were quite different to their normal festival setlists - there were a lot more rareities thrown in.

For Glastonbury i'd expect a similar set to Hyde Park last year, but hopefully they won't open with Plainsong.

I think I've made up my mind, and it's The Cure for me on Sunday night. I got Janelle MIF tickets, I gotta support mopey Bob. The last Pyramid headliner I saw was Kanye, which was quite a while ago. I've never ended the festival there, so I'm looking forward to it, I feel like it's definitely going to be a home run.

On 5/30/2019 at 2:48 PM, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think the thing with the screens is that, whether you personally watch them or not, that level of interaction does help to hold a crowd. If there's barely anything to look at and people are unfamiliar with a song that's when they get chatting.

I hope @scaryclaireyfairy is right and that by Sunday there will be less of the uninterested people there. The options elsewhere are so good, albeit missing a big dancy act, that people are unlikely to come along just because it's the Pyramid. They'll have popped that cherry on one of the other two nights hopefully. 

As with Radiohead last time, I think the best thing is to get to the inner circle and don’t look back- you’ll be amongst enthusiastic fans and won’t notice the crowd behind you if they’re disinterested!

4 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

As with Radiohead last time, I think the best thing is to get to the inner circle and don’t look back- you’ll be amongst enthusiastic fans and won’t notice the crowd behind you if they’re disinterested!

Unfortunately I think my days of being able to get down the front early enough to stay there that long and not need a wee are over!

8 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Unfortunately I think my days of being able to get down the front early enough to stay there that long and not need a wee are over!

No one has a worse bladder than me, so I am living proof that it is possible! 

25 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

No one has a worse bladder than me, so I am living proof that it is possible! 

Yeah I could probably manage it to be fair. I did for The Stones (not that I was that close but got there around the close of Primal Scream and there was no way I could leave and get back to my mates until Stones finished. Was dying for a wee mind!). Looking at my clashfinder I have a clear run of about half an hour before Cure start so we could get a decent spot. 

I've only been down the front for Cave and earlier slots so what's it like down there at that time? Does it get sardine like? After a misspent youth of queuing to be on the barrier and getting crushed to bits I don't really enjoy feeling packed in any more. I know festivals are usually a bit more spacious though. But I do like a bit of room to dance, or sway in a somewhat mopey Goth trance.