The Cure

JoeyT

The Cure  

706 members have voted

1. 1. If The Cure were to headline would you be there? I'm intrigued due to the varied opinions of them on here.

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Never been a fan so will definitely be elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Jah_Roots said:

first time i ever saw The Cure live was Glasto '95 seen them i dont know how many times since then.

historically one of the best live bands for sure, and to this day Disintegration is my favourite album.

BUT - the last time i saw them was Hyde Park last year which, and it pains me to say this, i came away from feeling disappointed - to me it just seemed like they phoned it in, and were just going through the motions.

i'm definately looking forward to, probably, seeing them again at the end of june - but the enthusiasm i would have once had has unfortunately waned somewhat and i no longer feel that i simply MUST be there..

and i really cant believe i have just said that.

They were insanely good at Optimus Alive when I saw em with @Homer

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I forgot this was on so I'm 2 hours behind. I rewound so now I'm hoping it doesn't cut off when it ceases to be live.

edit: The extra slap of The Streets clash is a total sickener.

When they did the Sydney Opera House concert for The National it stayed live for a while afterwards I think, so you could go back and listen.

I know! The Streets were the perfect festival band for me as I loved them so much when the first album came out and would have had a major nostalgia fest. But I wouldn't necessarily fork out for a gig. Seeing them at Glastonbury, though... I think it would have been special.

But I'm Team Cure I reckon.

I bloody loved The Streets. When Mike is 'on' he's a brilliant front man. As you say, perfect for a festival setting.

Sunday is the night of everyone having FOMO at headliner o' clock, I think. But not hearing The Cure play the songs of my goth youth from the Pyramid is unthinkable so I'll need to somehow suck it up.

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Are we expecting quite a hit-heavy, crowd-friendly set?

2 hours is far short of their usual sets - probably safe to assume as much. Maybe leaning on Disintegration a bit more than others. They play half a dozen festival sets before Glastonbury anyway!

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Can't believe they added Christine & The Queen to the already horrendous clash of Cure/Janelle. Cure fans tell me they'll do all the hits that I know and be brilliant. Convince me that they should be the one I go and see. 

This set is just the album's 30th anniversary tour and not what they do (it seems) at festivals.

Check these 2 out for a festival set:
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-cure/2019/kenilworth-racecourse-cape-town-south-africa-3925d1b.html

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-cure/2019/carnival-city-festival-lawns-johannesburg-south-africa-392050b.html

Loads of hits

These bands can often fail to grab the imagination of a festival crowd where a huge portion of the audience wouldn't buy tickets to your shows if you played elsewhere. I thought the same happened with Radiohead in 2017 and a few others spring to mind

2 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

This set is just the album's 30th anniversary tour and not what they do (it seems) at festivals.

Check these 2 out for a festival set:
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-cure/2019/kenilworth-racecourse-cape-town-south-africa-3925d1b.html

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-cure/2019/carnival-city-festival-lawns-johannesburg-south-africa-392050b.html

Loads of hits

Yes I've watched a few and enjoyed them but just wondering if they'll always do a nice hits heavy festival set or can they get a bit Springsteen and end up playing a load of shit that only dedicated fans know leaving the rest of us wondering why we bothered?