The Cure

JoeyT

The Cure  

706 members have voted

1. 1. If The Cure were to headline would you be there? I'm intrigued due to the varied opinions of them on here.

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Never been a fan so will definitely be elsewhere.

2 hours ago, scatteredscreens said:

not any of these above but from what I've been seeing it's around 11pm, which if it's the case i'll likely have to miss BDC to get my train tonight 😞

I'm gonna miss a few annoyingly! Last train is at 11 for me.

Ah well, if there's ever a gig where you have to miss the end it's one with a two and three quarter hour set haha.

1 hour ago, Odessa said:

I'm gonna miss a few annoyingly! Last train is at 11 for me.

Ah well, if there's ever a gig where you have to miss the end it's one with a two and three quarter hour set haha.

AFAIR it was half past ten when they finished the first encore “doom set” in Glasgow.

It depends on when you leave the venue, but even if you have to miss the entire second encore “pop set”, you can still enjoy 2 hrs 15-20 mins of the blistering Cure performance.

Better than no Cure.

And still longer than the truncated 2-hour set in Manchester 2016 (which I had to content myself with)😅

Brilliant gig in Leeds.

The Twilight Sad were immense as always, my favourite band of the last few years, never seem to show up on the farm though sadly.

The Cure were fantastic, great setlist, new songs sounded pretty good too. Only slight downer was that they played the "Disintegration" encore, but didn't play Prayers for Rain inbetween Plainsong and Disintegration, as they have done the last few weeks.

When they came out for the second encore Robert said someone had sneezed on him the last couple of days and he was struggling with his voice, maybe this was why they scratched it from the set. Hopefully this won't affect the rest of the UK dates. Seeing them the first night at Wembley so hoping for a few different songs.

At least they didn't scratch about 40 minutes like they did in Manchester a few years ago. That was a strange gig!

36 minutes ago, ericlered said:

Brilliant gig in Leeds.

The Twilight Sad were immense as always, my favourite band of the last few years, never seem to show up on the farm though sadly.

The Cure were fantastic, great setlist, new songs sounded pretty good too. Only slight downer was that they played the "Disintegration" encore, but didn't play Prayers for Rain inbetween Plainsong and Disintegration, as they have done the last few weeks.

When they came out for the second encore Robert said someone had sneezed on him the last couple of days and he was struggling with his voice, maybe this was why they scratched it from the set. Hopefully this won't affect the rest of the UK dates. Seeing them the first night at Wembley so hoping for a few different songs.

At least they didn't scratch about 40 minutes like they did in Manchester a few years ago. That was a strange gig!

I was at the Leeds gig too. Great night- scary to think 1st time I saw them was 33 years ago.

Had some gig chatterers/shouters nearby at first but managed to move away from them to fully enjoy the show.

I was at that Manchester show too- Bob was poorly that night I believe hence the shorter set as they played longer in London a few days later

Unfortunately only caught last song of Twilight Sad as was late arriving but have seen them before. 

4 hours ago, zzzfest said:

It is reported Robert had serious vocal issues on stage in Birmingham. Wonder if the Cardiff show today will go ahead as planned.

Yes. Was just coming to post about this as saw the following on FB

Screenshot_20221208_083046_Facebook.jpg

Edited by dondo

8 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

Was amazing last night at Wembley. Sound was perfect and didn’t seem to be anything wrong with Robert’s voice.

great set too - new stuff sounding decent enough

Agreed, very excited for the new album on that basis.  Really well paced set, and Robert really seemed to be enjoying it

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 9:47 AM, ericlered said:

Same thing happened to us in Prague, the Figurehead was in that position on the set list but scrapped. 

Anyhow went to the 2nd Wembley Arena show last night with a last minute ticket, as my train still ran.  Got 7 different songs and finally got The Figurehead, as well as another favourite of mine, Charlotte Sometimes, so that was nice.  Still didn’t quite beat Prague for me, but an excellent night worth the -4 degrees on the icy walk home.

I went to both the Birmingham & Cardiff shows. 

Birmingham was brilliant until Smith's voice went towards the end. He'd started singing in a lower register & it was totally gone halfway through the pop encore. He was really apologetic at the end & nearly in tears - I don't think anyone cared though as the whole place gave them a standing ovation, which I've never seen before. He seemed to be utterly fucked with illness. 

Cardiff the next day was like some sort of Goth lazurus performance. I was convinced there was no way he was going to be able to perform - but he just came out & utterly smashed it. I still have no idea how he did it. He sounded even better than he did at the start of the Birmingham gig.

I usually absolutely hate the CIA but Cardiff had the better setlist, performance, sound & crowd - all of which surprised me immensely. 

I think Cardiff was the 9th time I've seen the band & I think they are currently performing even better than they were 2018-2019. I thought Hyde Park was fantastic but these shoes seem up another level again. 

This new album also feels like it could be a final masterpiece. I can't wait. The Cure never went away, but it certainly feels like they are back, present & more vital than ever.

Edited by beau1
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, lazyred said:

This is an interesting read about the European tour.  Robert Smith is very involved in the planning and it confirms they care about the ticket price

https://www.iq-mag.net/2022/12/the-cure-european-tour/

Excellent article - a really good read.  Thanks for the link 👍

8 hours ago, lazyred said:

This is an interesting read about the European tour.  Robert Smith is very involved in the planning and it confirms they care about the ticket price

https://www.iq-mag.net/2022/12/the-cure-european-tour/

Good to see and it is acts from his generation that can most afford to do it. They benefitted from the days of great record contracts, huge record sales etc. It's why acts like Bruce Springsteen have disappointed me so much. They don't need to make huge pay days at the expense of their fans.