The Cure

JoeyT

The Cure  

706 members have voted

1. 1. If The Cure were to headline would you be there? I'm intrigued due to the varied opinions of them on here.

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Never been a fan so will definitely be elsewhere.

We were stood at the bushes/trees about halfway back on the main field. It was busy and was heartening to see the crowd stay, far fewer leavers than for Radiohead last time. The sound was a key factor. It really was astonishingly clear and bright. 

Around 5 or 6 goosebump songs. Fabulous stuff, I really should listen to them a bit more. 

Edited by Robofish

I thought The Cure were fantastic on the night, but the past two days I've spent just thinking about that performance and digging through their discography again, and fucking hell. What a band they really are. The Cure are one of those bands where their discography is so deep and consistent you can take out a big chunk of your listening space and devote it just to them, reminiscing over songs and albums you loved before. Seeing Robert Smith break character for a little while was so endearing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, eFestivals said:

yeah, I know. What i meant was they were played with the same delivery, of just putting it out there in a not-very-special way. 

No magic, same as 1986.

I think that was precisely why I enjoyed it so much to be honest! It was like being there in the late 80s early 90s, they haven't changed at all, they sound great still, and how Robert Smith has kept that stunning voice for that long is beyond me. There aren't many bands who can maintain their sound from 30 years ago. It really got to me, it was like turning back the clock to my youth when I loved them but never managed to see then. Wonderful performance

• Upvote 1

I chose The Cure over The Streets and CATQ, and I’m happy I did. Half expected to be bored half way through the set, but that just didn’t happen. I was completely knackered by then and barely keeping myself upright due to a lack of energy, but I loved every minute. The sound was fantastic and R Smith’s voice is as good as it was 20 years ago. Brilliant way to end the festival. 

Goosebumps when I re watched it on iPlayer yesterday.

I’d decided to brave the front at the Pyramid for the first time and obviously thought that it’d be a nostalgic set from a band that have ‘been there’ throughout my life. Never really a fan but knew the tunes. But as an ending for the world’s biggest festival?

By fuck but it was a transformative experience! I’ve seen hundreds of bands live throughout the world but the sound those five men made - the musicianship - the unashamed genius of the tunes! An absolute moment in time I’ll never forget. Huge fan now.

Edited by HotblackDesiato
  • Upvote 1

On 7/2/2019 at 6:46 PM, Winslow Leach said:

God they were good weren’t they. Some of the clearest sound I’ve ever heard at a festival.

I've seen them live three times - most recently Hyde Park 2018 - and while the sound was great on every occasion, their Glasto set was just something else through headphones, utterly incredible. I've re-watched A Night Like This dozens of times to hear that intro - so big, yet so ethereal. Surely one of their greatest ever moments.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Adam Payne said:

I've seen them live three times - most recently Hyde Park 2018 - and while the sound was great on every occasion, their Glasto set was just something else through headphones, utterly incredible. I've re-watched A Night Like This dozens of times to hear that intro - so big, yet so ethereal. Surely one of their greatest ever moments.

DAMN that guitar solo too... 

I don't know why but I said to my mate after 10 minutes this was going to make me blub, and it did. Just started watching it on I player and it sounds almost as good as I remember being there on Sunday. I rashly said earlier in this thread that it was the best headliner since the Stones but in hindsight I was absolutely bang on with that statement.  The finest voice in music 30 years ago and still is in my opinion

9 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

I don't know why but I said to my mate after 10 minutes this was going to make me blub, and it did. Just started watching it on I player and it sounds almost as good as I remember being there on Sunday. I rashly said earlier in this thread that it was the best headliner since the Stones but in hindsight I was absolutely bang on with that statement.  The finest voice in music 30 years ago and still is in my opinion

Just watched it back again for the 6th time since being home. Just cried again. Honestly the best headliner I have seen at any festival 

Easily my highlight of the weekend and I'm no Cure fanatic by any stretch.

Some of our gang went the Streets and some of us watched The Cure, I'm so glad I chose this one.

The good thing about the Pyramid is that generally the sound is the best of the festival on that stage depending upon where you can stand of course. But that sound was unbelievable. John Robb has done a good review of the set on his blog.

https://louderthanwar.com/10-reasons-why-the-cure-glastonbury-20129/