The Cure

JoeyT

The Cure  

706 members have voted

1. 1. If The Cure were to headline would you be there? I'm intrigued due to the varied opinions of them on here.

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Never been a fan so will definitely be elsewhere.

Wasn't really gutted about not being there this weekend until the Cure set.  Came across fantastically well on the TV.  As a few have said, you don't get many 'old school' sets like that too often these days, especially on the Pyramid.

9 hours ago, beau1 said:

Whilst I agree with you, Cure fans have known that the band have been smashing it on the live circuit for a while now. When they played Hyde Park last year, the first thing I said to my GF was that if they to keep that level of performance then they will headline Glastonbury again soon. And here we are!

Agreed, I really enjoyed Hyde Park - but the pyramid is a slightly better setting!

• Upvote 1

One of my favourite bands at one pof my favourite places in the world and didn't disappoint. 

Truly fantastic performance and probably my favourite Pyramid headliner ever.  Truly wonderful. 

My partner is new to the festival scene and music was never a big thing for him. ‘ Burn’ he knew from The Crow but never knew who it was by.....his Glastonbury moment happened during that set, tears streaming down his face. 

watching from the back of the field with opened mouths....epic performance, I’ll buy that sound engineer a pint or 10. 

Best headline I’ve ever seen there. You Robert Smith, a legend, the voice hasn’t changed. Still shocked by it now. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Burn was my tipping point too and I danced like a wet-eyed loon from there to the end - everything I wanted from it, and yes props to the engineer could hear everything crystal clear.

bIcN8kp.jpg

Felt worth the ticket price alone, and then they did that encore

Didn't even register the side screens existed - this is correct.

Really was one of the great performances I have seen in the 24 odd years I have been going to Glasto .  Robert Smith's voice, the quality of the band, the sound mix, the understatement of the set (no Chris Martin / other random guests popping up) all converged to make this a worthy contender for the best Glasto performance of 2019

Amazed that the Guardian gave The Cure 4 out of 5 but Kylie got a full 5 out of 5 (it was fun and kitsch but still not what I think of as a Legend spot artist).  Also, although I wasn't there so cannot comment on the atmosphere, which I'm sure was great  but, for my money, The Killers performance was extremely frenetic and vocally rather shouty but hey, many people loved it so not going to dismiss that.

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That you can see Kylie and The Cure both kill it on the same stage within a few hours of one another is why it's the goddamn GOAT.

This TBH. I was thinking that while watching The Cure, how amazing to see two such different things on the same stage in one day.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

There were quite a few post 1986 song played on Sunday. 

yeah, I know. What i meant was they were played with the same delivery, of just putting it out there in a not-very-special way. 

No magic, same as 1986.

Edited by eFestivals

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I felt magic.

Ditto. The most magical thing for me was watching him shed his goth persona for a little while and just being genuinely happy to be there. It was an incredibly sweet thing to witness 

..  and the sound engineer was really fucking magical! 

Edited by Digi

35 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yeah, I know. What i meant was they were played with the same delivery, of just putting it out there in a not-very-special way. 

No magic, same as 1986.

How you could watch that set and say there was no magic is baffling. It was utterly spellbinding IMO.