The Cure

JoeyT

The Cure  

706 members have voted

1. 1. If The Cure were to headline would you be there? I'm intrigued due to the varied opinions of them on here.

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Never been a fan so will definitely be elsewhere.

I had the opportunity to see the cure in 2012 when they headlined Nos Alive in Lisbon. A combination of overindulging in booze and a really late set time (Starting at like 12.00) meant I missed out as I fell asleep at the back of the dance stage..! I felt like I owed it to Bob and the boys to see them headline the Pyramid.

The combination of his voice and the bands sound was amazing. I knew that at best I would know probably 1/2 the set, but forgot how many songs I did know. I felt that some of the people I was with had an unrealistic expectation for the set when they only knew 2-3 songs and felt disappointed by it which I didn’t feel was very fair!

Regardless of whether or not it was one for the history books, I think they certainly quashed that bullshit that they aren’t good/big enough to headline the Pyramid these days.

they were pretty clearly quite low in the pecking order but they stepped up. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Ended up front centre on the barrier for these boys. It was an experience I'll never forget, that first 90 minutes was nothing short of spellbinding. The sound was phenomenally clear and balanced and rich, the band themselves were note perfect and visibly really passionate about the gig.

Throughout those songs I was thinking about how long I've loved this band and how many times the lyrics and the feelings behind them have been relevant to me. It was odd but marvelous to be stood right at the front of one of the biggest and most iconic gatherings the in all of global pop culture, and having an experience which felt so personal, in a crowd of hundreds of thousands of strangers.

When they played Disintegration I was so happy to hear those opening notes because I've never heard them play it live before and I love it. As it went on it became clear that this wasn't just another performance to Robert Smith, in his head he'd dug down right back to the place he was in when he wrote it. By the end of it he and I were both in tears, and I suspect we weren't the only ones. It's a fucking tough song, but it's one that speaks to feelings a lot of us have dealt with in our lives and would probably rather not revisit, but there's something so moving and cathartic about it.

Frankly, I feel fucking honoured to have been there and lived that show. There'll never be anything like that headlining the Pyramid ever again, which is a shame really because last night proved that the field can be a whole different beast when you let the weird kids take over every now and again.

The cure have been in my life for 40 years since I bought three imaginary boys the day after hearing them do a set on John peel .

I absolutely adore them and last night was a privilege to be there yes they are old but they sound fantastic still the musicianship is outstanding .

They aren't there to do interaction and greatest hits they are there to show what legends they are .

Genuinely made me fill up to see how emotional Robert was at the end thanking the crowd .

Absolutely wonderful show! The sound was sonic perfection and Robert seemed so genuine throughout the whole show. I must admit I teared up with 'Plainsong' and 'Pictures of you' opening.

Although the crowd may have appeared subdued, the lack of people talking to their friends spoke volumes. The band controlled the crowd with hypnosis.

It was a good show, the band played near perfectly but I was absolutely shattered at this point and couldn't get up for it. Enjoyed it basically sitting on the ground and listening as my feet had gave up on me and could no longer stand blistered and bloody.

Still though, Smith sounded good and the bass was superb. Songs are near album perfect. Wish it's been a different night as I would have got right into it but tbf they've done better than most Sundays headliners from me. Both Arctic Monkeys and Foo Fighters at Leeds I watched half from the back then left early and Glasto 2017 I just went to bed so I guess that's a major plus I made it to the end for the first time ever o. Sunday.

Even the most cloth eared and non-fan punters in our camp were commenting on how good the sound was, clarity of PA, perfectly mixed, formidable performance from the band. I struggle to think of a time when I've heard anything so good in a much smaller setting, never mind a big show like that.

2 hours ago, Homer said:

Regardless of whether or not it was one for the history books, I think they certainly quashed that bullshit that they aren’t good/big enough to headline the Pyramid these days.

they were pretty clearly quite low in the pecking order but they stepped up. 

Whilst I agree with you, Cure fans have known that the band have been smashing it on the live circuit for a while now. When they played Hyde Park last year, the first thing I said to my GF was that if they to keep that level of performance then they will headline Glastonbury again soon. And here we are!

Edited by beau1

Seeing Robert Smith trying out the wireless mic, wandering up and down the runways at the side of stage, then saying he might live to regret is was a really nice moment. Clearly a man absolutely loving being back at the festival, funny to see him dropping the brooding goth front man thing and just enjoying the moment. As everyone has said (on TV for me) the sound was the best I heard of any set I watched, so clear.

Regarding the sound, I saw them whenever they last played Manchester a couple of years back and the sound was dreadful in comparison. All the reflections made the dense sound of their rockier songs turn into interminable mud.  

But the Pyramid was incredible. All of the guitar parts were crisp and distinct, even as they washed over us with a wall of sound. So, so much better - a qualitatively different experience. Manchester was ruined by the sound and Glastonbury was made by it.

Beautiful post up there from Amy Lawn, well chuffed for you mate.

So glad the reception on here is exactly what the performance deserved. Much of the crowd around me were definitely there just to check it out, maybe move on elsewhere - you know when you can tell - so it was properly brilliant to see so many (young!) jaws on floor after the opening two tracks, and them stay the whole time, spellbound. 

Getting a bit teary just thinking of Bob doing his little dancing, running up the wings of the Pyramid, massive grin on his face, hoping he doesn't regret it. Great setlist, amazing sound, a wonderful way to end the weekend.