The Cure

JoeyT

The Cure  

706 members have voted

1. 1. If The Cure were to headline would you be there? I'm intrigued due to the varied opinions of them on here.

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Never been a fan so will definitely be elsewhere.

Okay, so I didn’t think I’d even end up seeing them and I only did after some convincing (‘see the festival out together as a group’ etc).

God damn. That was good. Far back but our group enjoyed the dancing space. Looked like everyone around us did too. Few questions for you more experienced folk:

1) Why did that sound so perfect but other acts don’t always? Multiple comments among my group on how great it did sound.

2) Why do they not play lovecats? Not an avid fan in the past so not sure what the reasons are. Seems odd, although part of me does thing it is a different vibe from most of what they played (I don’t know them as well as most of you lot keep in mind)

Anyway.. apologies if this is drunk rubbish. Still awake in tent (mutual support of our driver home who is naturally not going out). But genuinely interested and massively enjoyed that set. Safe journey home all.

2 hours ago, jb1 said:

Okay, so I didn’t think I’d even end up seeing them and I only did after some convincing (‘see the festival out together as a group’ etc).

God damn. That was good. Far back but our group enjoyed the dancing space. Looked like everyone around us did too. Few questions for you more experienced folk:

1) Why did that sound so perfect but other acts don’t always? Multiple comments among my group on how great it did sound.

2) Why do they not play lovecats? Not an avid fan in the past so not sure what the reasons are. Seems odd, although part of me does thing it is a different vibe from most of what they played (I don’t know them as well as most of you lot keep in mind)

Anyway.. apologies if this is drunk rubbish. Still awake in tent (mutual support of our driver home who is naturally not going out). But genuinely interested and massively enjoyed that set. Safe journey home all.

1. Don't know. But I saw them at Manchester arena a couple of years ago and they sounded awful. Dense guitar music like that turns to mud with the slightest bit of reflection. So I know why they sounded better at Glastonbury (outdoor gig - no reflections), but no idea why they sounded better than other bands. Maybe they're just a really finely tuned band? I know all but one of the songs is over 25 years old - maybe practice?

2. I don't know that either, but they didn't play it at Manchester either. As far as I know they never play it. I've no idea why, I'd be interested if anyone does.

So, that's a pretty useless 0/2 post there. I'm glad I could help ;)

They were fucking great though, weren't they? ?

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

2. I don't know that either, but they didn't play it at Manchester either. As far as I know they never play it. I've no idea why, I'd be interested if anyone does. 

They've played it every time I've seen them - twice in 2012, once in 2016. I do get the feeling Bob isn't a massive fan of the song though. 

4 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

1. Don't know. But I saw them at Manchester arena a couple of years ago and they sounded awful. Dense guitar music like that turns to mud with the slightest bit of reflection. So I know why they sounded better at Glastonbury (outdoor gig - no reflections), but no idea why they sounded better than other bands. Maybe they're just a really finely tuned band? I know all but one of the songs is over 25 years old - maybe practice?

So, that's a pretty useless 0/2 post there. I'm glad I could help ;)

They were fucking great though, weren't they? ?

Agreed! Absolutely brilliant ?

Ended up front centre on the barrier for these boys. It was an experience I'll never forget, that first 90 minutes was nothing short of spellbinding. The sound was phenomenally clear and balanced and rich, the band themselves were note perfect and visibly really passionate about the gig.

Throughout those songs I was thinking about how long I've loved this band and how many times the lyrics and the feelings behind them have been relevant to me. It was odd but marvelous to be stood right at the front of one of the biggest and most iconic gatherings the in all of global pop culture, and having an experience which felt so personal, in a crowd of hundreds of thousands of strangers.

When they played Disintegration I was so happy to hear those opening notes because I've never heard them play it live before and I love it. As it went on it became clear that this wasn't just another performance to Robert Smith, in his head he'd dug down right back to the place he was in when he wrote it. By the end of it he and I were both in tears, and I suspect we weren't the only ones. It's a fucking tough song, but it's one that speaks to feelings a lot of us have dealt with in our lives and would probably rather not revisit, but there's something so moving and cathartic about it.

Frankly, I feel fucking honoured to have been there and lived that show. There'll never be anything like that headlining the Pyramid ever again, which is a shame really because last night proved that the field can be a whole different beast when you let the weird kids take over every now and again.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 21

^^^^^

What a great review.I only watched on telly but thought the singing  and playing were really superb.Hats off to the engineer for the best sound by a country mile.It was crystal clear. Each to their own and that but the Cure were the best thing I saw over the weekend.A cut above performance. 

Edited by Lad

47 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Ended up front centre on the barrier for these boys. It was an experience I'll never forget, that first 90 minutes was nothing short of spellbinding. The sound was phenomenally clear and balanced and rich, the band themselves were note perfect and visibly really passionate about the gig.

Throughout those songs I was thinking about how long I've loved this band and how many times the lyrics and the feelings behind them have been relevant to me. It was odd but marvelous to be stood right at the front of one of the biggest and most iconic gatherings the in all of global pop culture, and having an experience which felt so personal, in a crowd of hundreds of thousands of strangers.

When they played Disintegration I was so happy to hear those opening notes because I've never heard them play it live before and I love it. As it went on it became clear that this wasn't just another performance to Robert Smith, in his head he'd dug down right back to the place he was in when he wrote it. By the end of it he and I were both in tears, and I suspect we weren't the only ones. It's a fucking tough song, but it's one that speaks to feelings a lot of us have dealt with in our lives and would probably rather not revisit, but there's something so moving and cathartic about it.

Frankly, I feel fucking honoured to have been there and lived that show. There'll never be anything like that headlining the Pyramid ever again, which is a shame really because last night proved that the field can be a whole different beast when you let the weird kids take over every now and again.

Just spontaneously burst in to tears again reading this on the journey home feeling very nostalgic at being one of those weird kids

They were just incredible. My favourite set at any festival ever 

I was chatting to a bloke before Elvana in Williams Green on Thursday who said that he'd been following The Cure around Europe for a month or so. Austria, Italy, Netherlands and a few more.

He was crushed that Plainsong wasn't featuring in their sets. Although The Cure do often mix up their setlists, he said he'd given up any hope of it on this cycle.  

I got fucking chills when they opened with it. I hope he enjoyed it too :D.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So good. As a Cure newbie, part of me now wishes I'd spent more time investigating them beforehand. But what a way to hear some of these songs for the first time. Their sound blew me away - much more epic than I anticipated.

Will be working my way through the back catalogue, and very keen on seeing them again.

Edited by Lubic87

I had been torn all day over The Cure v CATQ. A few songs in it felt a bit flat (the crowd) and I wasn’t feeling it. I was proper gutted but then Last Dance oddly enough just got me. Ended up with zero regrets for seeing them. Felt an iconic set in the end. Filled with lots of emotions for me and like the above poster I feel very privileged to finally have been able to see The Cure headline The Pyramid. You could see how much it meant to Robert. 

I last saw the Cure at the Elephant Fayers festival in 1983 (got to talk to Robert over the fence to back stage. Autograph scribbled on the back of a bootleg cassette tape). Seeing them this weekend ended up as my highlight. Robert still has a beautiful voice. I loved how nervous/ thoughtful he looked before the start. The set was perfect, even got a smile. There was no need to bring on anybody else, they were perfect headliners. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

One of the things that got me through not having a ticket this year was the fact I was going to see them twice this summer, Dublin and Glasgow. Watched it last night and simply put its the best I’ve ever seen them and so wished I was there watching my favourite band in my favourite place. 

Glad to see so much love for their set last night on here, it looked so special!!

Disintigration!! Holy shit what a performance 

Edited by blue6field

4 hours ago, The Nal said:

Loved it. Saw the first half of Janelle who was alright I suppose and then the Cure from Just Like Heaven to the end. Sounded massive. 

I watched 20 minutes of The Cure, then left for Janelle. No regrets.

I am Bizarro Nal

They were fucking great. Couldn't put it better than some others here have but I'm so glad I had them as my closer to a great weekend. We were stood way back but it was lovely to have some space to enjoy it and while the crowd was maybe a little sparse you felt that everyone who was there wanted to be. Seeing Robert at the end was glorious.

Oh and I felt he summed up the festival with his: "It's been hot and fucking excellent." :)

Edited by Zoo Music Girl