The Cure

JoeyT

The Cure  

706 members have voted

1. 1. If The Cure were to headline would you be there? I'm intrigued due to the varied opinions of them on here.

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Never been a fan so will definitely be elsewhere.

I'm starting to feel like I really wanna hear Plainsong and Just Like Heaven on the Pyramid stage.

It has to be said that some of their songs really hasn't aged well, what the hell is that sax solo during A Night Like This?

On 5/7/2019 at 10:15 AM, Anarion said:

I'm starting to feel like I really wanna hear Plainsong and Just Like Heaven on the Pyramid stage.

It has to be said that some of their songs really hasn't aged well, what the hell is that sax solo during A Night Like This?

To be fair, that has always been a Guitar Solo when the song is played live.

Seen The Cure a couple times over the last couple years and, as much as I love the tunes, a lot of the show was very missable until the last half an hour which was half taken up with no less than 3 encores?? What is the point. The also do that thing like many other artists where they obscure the screens so you can't actually see whats going on if you're further back.

3 minutes ago, jow95 said:

Seen The Cure a couple times over the last couple years and, as much as I love the tunes, a lot of the show was very missable until the last half an hour which was half taken up with no less than 3 encores?? What is the point. The also do that thing like many other artists where they obscure the screens so you can't actually see whats going on if you're further back.

How can you say you love the tunes and then say most was missable apart from the pop hits at the end?

I've now annoyed with myself for being triggered by this post! :D

18 minutes ago, cdm22 said:

How can you say you love the tunes and then say most was missable apart from the pop hits at the end?

I've now annoyed with myself for being triggered by this post! :D

In the exact same way I can listen to Radiohead all day in my earphones but headlining in 2017 found most of it to lack atmosphere and excitement; and that was about cure's own show, let alone when it's a festival crowd and half the people aren't even huge fans. 

Edited by jow95
I dunno maybe im being a bit harsh trying to remember the Cure gigs, if anything the 3 encores is my main memory that tainted it. Lets all stand in the dark and pretend you've ended but everyone here knows you're coming out again in a minute?

I suspect we'll more or less know what to expect after they've played their first festival show of the run. The Aussie dates are advertised specifically as Disintegration Anniversary shows so will probably be different.

Is the Dublin date on the 8th their own thing rather than a festival? If so, Pinkpop is the day after so we'll know then.

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

I suspect we'll more or less know what to expect after they've played their first festival show of the run. The Aussie dates are advertised specifically as Disintegration Anniversary shows so will probably be different.

Is the Dublin date on the 8th their own thing rather than a festival? If so, Pinkpop is the day after so we'll know then.

I think Dublin is their own but i've not checked. But aside from what i've said, I've got mates who went to the Hyde Park gig 2018 who said it was amazing sow what do I know ey?

For the floating voter, the second half of the show is the one to catch. Though they generally play High, Pictures of You, Just Like Heaven, Inbetween Days and Lullaby fairly early on (I've seen them four times in the last six years or so and their setlists are always fairly similar).

2 hours ago, jow95 said:

I hope they learn from Radiohead's ridiculous own-goal in '17 and leave the screens on.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Last year's Cure Concert at Hyde Park to be released in cinemas in July.

Post-Punk.com (@PostPunkzine) Tweeted:
The Cure Announce Release Date and Details of “Anniversary 1978-2018 Live in Hyde Park London” Concert Film https://t.co/p0kyk40exI https://twitter.com/PostPunkzine/status/1133760428692201472?s=17

Edited by beau1

Just now, Superscally said:

The Cure are currently (11:59) an hour through a live streamed gig on Youtube at the Sydney Opera House doing Disintegration. It's wonderful. If you're wondering whether to see em or not check it out: 

I'm already fully onboard - despite the fact I'm seeing them at Nos Alive two weeks later too!

• Like 1