The Cure

JoeyT

The Cure  

706 members have voted

1. 1. If The Cure were to headline would you be there? I'm intrigued due to the varied opinions of them on here.

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Never been a fan so will definitely be elsewhere.

Just now, RichardWaller said:

Lol it lasted a few years after their headline slot. Never went, know a few people who did but never heard any reports of it being that short of a sell out crowd and listing on here says it was sold out. Dunno what The Cure charge for headlining, like.

ah, maybe that wasn't the year it bombed then. My apologies if that was wrong.

22 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

ah, maybe that wasn't the year it bombed then. My apologies if that was wrong.

Nope, you were right. Bestival 2016 with The Cure headlining had an attendance of approximately 35,000 (though unlike this year, they didn't resort to discounted/free tickets) against a capacity of 60,000. I was there, and thought it was great, though a lot of people complained about the various last minute cutbacks they made to try and balance the books.

I don't think it was The Cure that killed it off - if anything that was a Hail Mary to rescue it from a slow death.

From the years since I joined eFestivals; Bestival was always struggling somewhere and seemed to have one headliner that was announced much later and devastatingly disappointing. Missy Elliott, in fact, was headlining The Cure's year and RdB himself said that he kept doubling the offer until she agreed, and that was in June!

Just now, dentalplan said:

I don't think it was The Cure that killed it off - if anything that was a Hail Mary to rescue it from a slow death.

From the years since I joined eFestivals; Bestival was always struggling somewhere and seemed to have one headliner that was announced much later and devastatingly disappointing. Missy Elliott, in fact, was headlining The Cure's year and RdB himself said that he kept doubling the offer until she agreed, and that was in June!

Missy Elliott was the year before, although the point still stands. And what a waste of money that turned out to be! Got to wonder how many acts they went through until they arrived at Missy Elliott.

22 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Missy Elliott was the year before, although the point still stands. And what a waste of money that turned out to be! Got to wonder how many acts they went through until they arrived at Missy Elliott.

Didn't Muse let slip that they were supposed to be headlining that year and then they never did?

It's a fool's errand to ever try to pin the decline of a festival on any one act. Even if a festival gets a duff headliner, not being able to weather just the one shows that the festival had much bigger probs to begin with.

Having seen Bob & The Sad Lads twice I can say I don't find their sets flashy or attention grabbing, they actually come across to me as far less theatrical than people expect from a Glastonbury headliner. What they appear to do is just show up and play their songs very well with no gimmicks and minimal in-between song banter. I think they'll probably put a lot of people off, but while they're not theatrical they are at least not using theatrics to be willfilly obtuse and alienating to much of the Pyramid feild, and they do have a good cache of hits that people want to hear, so they should do better than Radiohead. It'll be a modest success, not a disaster, not one for the ages. If you want to go and see The Cure play their songs, you'll get nothing more or less than that.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

6 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I think they'll probably put a lot of people off, but while they're not theatrical they are at least not using theatrics to be willfilly obtuse and alienating to much of the Pyramid feild, and they do have a good cache of hits that people want to hear, so they should do better than Radiohead. It'll be a modest success, not a disaster, not one for the ages. If you want to go and see The Cure play their songs, you'll get nothing more or less than that.

Good work poking the radionhead bear, that should provoke a certain amount of response :) 

14 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

It's a fool's errand to ever try to pin the decline of a festival on any one act. Even if a festival gets a duff headliner, not being able to weather just the one shows that the festival had much bigger probs to begin with.

Having seen Bob & The Sad Lads twice I can say I don't find their sets flashy or attention grabbing, they actually come across to me as far less theatrical than people expect from a Glastonbury headliner. What they appear to do is just show up and play their songs very well with no gimmicks and minimal in-between song banter. I think they'll probably put a lot of people off, but while they're not theatrical they are at least not using theatrics to be willfilly obtuse and alienating to much of the Pyramid feild, and they do have a good cache of hits that people want to hear, so they should do better than Radiohead. It'll be a modest success, not a disaster, not one for the ages. If you want to go and see The Cure play their songs, you'll get nothing more or less than that.

6 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Good work poking the radionhead bear, that should provoke a certain amount of response :) 

Considering myself a big Radiohead fan, I see his point and I'll probably have to agree. Radiohead is trickier for people to like (post -OK Computer) and their stage performance (e.g., screens) last time might have been less appealing. 

39 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

Considering myself a big Radiohead fan, I see his point and I'll probably have to agree. Radiohead is trickier for people to like (post -OK Computer) and their stage performance (e.g., screens) last time might have been less appealing. 

You were right in my case, exit stage right before they even played any of the songs I was hoping for.  Although usually leaving the pyramid you find something else great instead, part of the joy of a clashfinder :) 

To be fair even though they gave us a smattering of hits at the end (including most of the ones they keep in rotation) they still left out the likes of Planet Telex, The Bends, High and Dry, My Iron Lung, Just, Jigsaw Falling Into Place, Reckoner and Burn the Witch, which would have gone down better than quite a few of the songs they did play (though I agree with dropping BTW as it was shite live).

The only song The Cure don't play that people would know is The Lovecats, I'd say?

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

bestival says different :P 

To be fair, it was the second time they had been booked in 5 years and it was part of a large world wide tour. Bestival obviously had a shit load of other problems, hense why it moved locations. In hindsight it looks more like rd bank trying to get his friends, the cure in to save the fest.

You can't really pin the death of a festival on one band. 

14 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

To be fair even though they gave us a smattering of hits at the end (including most of the ones they keep in rotation) they still left out the likes of Planet Telex, The Bends, High and Dry, My Iron Lung, Just, Jigsaw Falling Into Place, Reckoner and Burn the Witch, which would have gone down better than quite a few of the songs they did play (though I agree with dropping BTW as it was shite live).

The only song The Cure don't play that people would know is The Lovecats, I'd say?

That’s true. I asked a mate, who has pretty good taste, if they listened to much Radiohead and she said “not really, the hits every now end then, High and Dry etc.”. I’d pretty much forgotten that High and Dry existed. What they played at Glasto was a big hits set as far as a fan is concerned, but if people are thinking High and Dry still deserves an outing then I can see why they could be disappointed.

4 minutes ago, beau1 said:

To be fair, it was the second time they had been booked in 5 years and it was part of a large world wide tour. Bestival obviously had a shit load of other problems, hense why it moved locations. In hindsight it looks more like rd bank trying to get his friends, the cure in to save the fest.

You can't really pin the death of a festival on one band. 

true - I know there were other factors in the mix - but ultimately festivals live or die on getting the punters in, and the acts they put on is the main driver in getting those punters in.

The mistake was obviously the festival's with who they booked, but it remains the case the band didn't create the demand.

I genuinely think a massive problem with glastonbury nowadays is it’s attendees want instagrammable coachella style headliners

however after they’ve got their picture or video to prove they were at Radiohead they lose interest.

edit: the cure are great and I don’t doubt they will smash it but if a big act is on the other or other stages the crowd for the cure will be pretty small. If the chemical brothers or whoever are on the other at the same time then the cure are fucked

Edited by Matt42

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I genuinely think a massive problem with glastonbury nowadays is it’s attendees want instagrammable coachella style headliners

This isn't a Glastonbury only problem though, it's flipping everything! Dinner, night out, country walk... !

But I think there is a wider point definitely about Glastonbury being less 'alternative' than it was. In my eyes anyway. 

32 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

This isn't a Glastonbury only problem though, it's flipping everything! Dinner, night out, country walk... !

But I think there is a wider point definitely about Glastonbury being less 'alternative' than it was. In my eyes anyway. 

Yup it’s not necessarily a glastonbury problem but there has been a surge of bucket listers and bucketlisters are hard to please

I find bucket listers tend to book their ticket off past lineups they did not attend and hope that the next year will be relatively the same.

for example I imagine a lot of people who are new to Glasto want Beyoncé, Arctic Monkeys, Adele, Coldplay etc because that’s how they were introduced to the festival. They’ve seen past festivals on the TV and they want exactly that.