The Cure

JoeyT

The Cure  

706 members have voted

1. 1. If The Cure were to headline would you be there? I'm intrigued due to the varied opinions of them on here.

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Never been a fan so will definitely be elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

p.s not counting Bowie 71-2000 as that wasn’t Glasto as we know it. Also, he’s not a band ?

So basically Werchter have moved their festival forward a week to book these. I think they're booked their for Sunday this year and from past history of play 6 times and 3 in 12 years they sell the tickets, this would be 4 in 19 years. Monkeys played this year, Macca only played in 16 and as said it didn't sell out...it was Thursday but he's huge enough to sell it...I've known others that have. I also personally didn't see it being the most solid year, their dip maybe if you like. Kendrick, it would be two summers after release of Damn and I don't think either Werchter or Glasto will go for that...Glasto would certainly want it when it's new and fresh and he did Puckelpop this year on a 2nd year. Also Stormzy isn't going to headline after never playing Werchter anyway. 

I think Florence would get booked again for both already but I'm unsure a fest would move for her....she does sell well though.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Saw The Cure at Reading 2012....enjoyed most of it although (personally) it dragged on a little too long for me as I only know the Greatest Hits.

Would probably go and watch something else or get a head start in the naughty corner if they headlined. 

I was the same, 2hrs 45 mins I believe and tbh if it had been 2 hours and had the hits and some others that would have been great but I still really enjoyed it. Someone with us hated it but stood through it all for some reason.

In fairness it's not like they had a huge crowd either that were separate to hear the lesser known tracks...I was in the pit area and remember it being very easy to move.

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Hyde park was 2 hours. I suspect it'd be the same for glasto

That setlist with a couple of the lesser known songs replaced by new album stuff is pretty much what I'm expecting, and as far as The Cure setlists go you can't really argue with that. Maybe there'll even be a few surprisingly good songs on the new one to fill in the lulls/gaps.

The Cure are one of my favourite bands of all time and I would certainly be there.

I think a set-list that includes Lovecats, Friday I'm in Love, Close to Me, A Forest and Boys Don't Cry could win over the non-fans, but it is a surprising booking regardless. Is there really the audience for them anymore?

6 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Is there really the audience for them anymore?

there is for their hardcore fans, as this summer's sell-out of Hyde Park showed. And they headlined Reading/Leeds in 2012, when there was no more of an audience for them as there is now.

Thing is, fans will have bought those tickets. It's less like that for Glastonbury where anyone and everyone is buying tickets.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

there is for their hardcore fans, as this summer's sell-out of Hyde Park showed. And they headlined Reading/Leeds in 2012, when there was no more of an audience for them as there is now.

Thing is, fans will have bought those tickets. It's less like that for Glastonbury where anyone and everyone is buying tickets.

Also Glastonbury are going to have a lot more fans for them than R&L which is primarily for a younger crowd. I wouldn't see a lot of cure fans paying to go and see them at R&L but you haven't fornthe rest of that fest at HP. I don think they'll get a huge crowd but they'll do alright I think, Metallica sized.

24 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

I think they'll get a bigger crowd than Radiohead in '17, to be honest, if they can put some of the bangers out first.

Something similar to the Hyde Park setlist - though I'd throw in Want, from Wild Mood Swings, as that's gone down excellently on both occasions that I've seen them.

Did Radiohead get a lack luster crowd last year then?

Just now, thewayiam said:

Did Radiohead get a lack luster crowd last year then?

It got a disinterested crowd around the edges that floated away, I'd say. I was probably on the edge of halfway at the Pyramid and it thinned around me considerably across the first six or seven songs.

Was an excellent show, but not sure how everyone else found it in terms of crowd.

Just now, DownboundTrain52 said:

It got a disinterested crowd around the edges that floated away, I'd say. I was probably on the edge of halfway at the Pyramid and it thinned around me considerably across the first six or seven songs.

Was an excellent show, but not sure how everyone else found it in terms of crowd.

It's a whole scenario of you love them or don't really but they headline anywhere in the world.

1 minute ago, evilduck said:

I've seen it a few times, it's not a definite staple though.

Yeah, they played it the first time I saw them, at one of the marathon Hammersmith shows, but it didn't feature the second time, in Manchester in December.

That second gig was one I came away from feeling a mite shortchanged as they played thirty-song-plus on every other night of the tour and settled for a short 23 at the arena. Great gig still.

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It's a whole scenario of you love them or don't really but they headline anywhere in the world.

Pretty much, aye.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

No Lovecats No Deal, Bob.

Fond memories of dancing away to that and Smalltown Boy in a microvenue at sunrise a couple of years back.

Given I hear The Lovecats on the radio more than any other Cure song, I'd kind of expect it to be one of the nailed on tracks, until I glanced at the Hyde Park/Meltdown setlists.