The Cure

JoeyT

The Cure  

706 members have voted

1. 1. If The Cure were to headline would you be there? I'm intrigued due to the varied opinions of them on here.

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Never been a fan so will definitely be elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

In the interest of them not losing the crowd I'd probably be happy with them doing a standard 2 hour set. All the hits plus the best other songs like Plainsong and From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea.

They could just bang out the same setlist they did in 95!

19. End

The Cure’s setlist from BST this year:

1. Plainsong
2. Pictures Of You
3. High
4. A Night Like This
5. The Walk
6. The End Of The World
7. Lovesong
8. Push
9. In Between Days
10. Just Like Heaven
11. If Only Tonight We Could Sleep
12. Play For Today
13. A Forest
14. Shake Dog Shake
15. Burn
16. Fascination Street
17. Never Enough
18. From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea
19. Disintegration

Encore

20. Lullaby
21. The Caterpillar
22. Friday I'm In Love
23. Close to Me
24. Why Can't I Be You?
25. Boys Don't Cry
26. Jumping Someone Else's Train
27. Grinding Halt
28. 10:15 Saturday Night
29. Killing An Arab

Whilst they played most of their better known songs during the encore,  the main set wouldn’t go down well to a festival crowd I don’t think. I know people who went to this that said it was a bit of a trial at times early on.

That’s my big problem with the Cure, if he puts his mind to it, Bob Smith can write a hell of a pop tune. But he seems not to want to, so he makes you sit through 2 hours of monotonous sludge before a 15 minute encore of poptastic wonder. Willfully bloody awkward.

anyway, i’d not go and see them again

12 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Didn’t Smith moan last year, or the year before, that he didn’t think the Cure would be invited back to Glastonbury - an issue with ME or something? Or is that just wishful thinking ? 

"Although we've headlined three times, we've never been on the best of terms. I don't know if they forgive and forget. There are enough other festivals for us to play."

https://www.radiox.co.uk/artists/cure/robert-smith-talks-cure-headline-glastonbury/

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Sounds bout right.

I am feeling a little suspicious about how closely the whispers Neil heard followed the rumour we found out the other day. Still stronger than any other rumours we got.

I was hoping the closeness of them was due to him actively looking into The Cure on the back of that, but probably not.

Personally not sure if the Eavii would go for a band as irrelevant as the Cure but if Neil has heard heard something pretty conclusive I’m willing to be proved wrong. Yes they’ve headlined 3 times but last time will be 24 years previous.

I would potentially be there (regarding other stages). It’d be a good revival of British 80/90s indie rock on the Pyramid and that’d be a big draw for me.

It would have to be a big clash for me to miss them methinks.

I can't for the life of me remember the how/why/who I missed them for in '95. It's really bugging me. I've looked back at the line up and still no idea.

I remember being at Oasis on the Friday, missing Pulp for Portishead in The Acoustic on the Saturday and watching Reservoir Dogs in the early hours of the Monday morning being the last thing I "attended" (after I'd ingested a Purple Om). Maybe I missed The Cure for the film but I don't think so?

Anyway, yeah, I'd be there. A great singles band at the very least. I can remember when I didn't have many singles and how The Forest just sounded so different to most of the stuff I owned. I don't think I've ever heard an album by them. Certainly don't own any. A greatest hits set would suit me fine.

Headlined my first Glastonbury in 1995.

I can't think of much that would stop me being there to see them again. 

That said I only stuck one hour of Radiohead in 2017 after really looking forward to them. Not because of the band but the audience. Attention span of goldfish talking, shouting and generally fucking about during the set. I literally couldn't concentrate and had to leg it to The Park to see Flaming Lips instead. 

The downside to the Pyramid. People want to say they were there to watch *whoever* but can't be arsed actually listening.

Edited by Popsider75

7 hours ago, willutalk said:

if Neil has heard heard something pretty conclusive I’m willing to be proved wrong

one part of what I've heard certainly sounds pretty conclusive.

But it might be a fake story (unlikely, I think), or the starting-source of the story might have it wrong somehow (possible), or the starting-source of the story might have decided to tell a fake story (which sounds odd, tho I also have a story where that starting-source supposedly did that). All of these angles are things I need to keep in mind.

Then I have other separate info which suggests them playing can't be true - but doesn't 100% rule it out.

Then I have other info from a completely different direction which says they're playing.

Ho-hum. :lol: