Best Kept Secret 2019

Cirk Vroskov

Some of the just confirmed bands for Hurricane/Southside, that seem probable for BKS:

-       Macklemore (returning)

-       Tame Impala

-       Wolfmother

-       Christine and the Queens (returning)

-       Descendents

-       Alice Merton

-       Sofi Tukker

-       Bear’s Den

-       Alma

Already confirmed for BKS:

- Interpol

- Cigarettes After Sex

Edited by mellowmaniac

Hopefully they give us about 20 names tomorrow, now that the Primavera line-up is out. Plenty of interesting names for me.

Wondering where Tame Impala will end up playing. Was expecting them at Down the Rabbit Hole or Lowlands, with a big bag of Live Nation money. Other than that, no clear headliners for BKS. Or a smaller one for the Saturday? 

9 minutes ago, DDave said:

Not really any names from Primavera that you think would warrant the moving of the BKS dates which is a bit weird, unless it is Tame Impala but even then...

Unless they've moved to accommodate The Cure, who aren't playing consecutive nights and have Saturday* booked in for Dublin  

Bon Iver - Tame Impala - The Cure would be a great trio 

(*the 8th, so of 'normal' weekend, just to clarify)

Edited by the wonderwhy

41 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

is there definitely an announcement tomorrow? 

Impossible to know, no pattern in announcements and no official clues. So only people in the know could help us with that. But it would make sense to have new names soon because official ticket sales have started and so far just five names. Dunno if they had to wait for Primavera. Tame Impala would be exactly the size of headliner I expect.

Or still waiting for that big name to announce a tour? So yes, I also thought their move could be connected to APE, a so far unannounced name. It's weird that if The Cure would play they haven't been added so far, what's holding them back?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StupidDream said:

It's weird that if The Cure would play they haven't been added so far, what's holding them back?

I don’t think it’s that weird. They’re still getting announced for stuff - InMusic, Mad Cool and Hurricane/Southaide have added them recently - so there are clearly festivals who have decided they didn’t want to announce them when everyone else did, or that they didn’t want to announce them first. 

Wouldnt surprise me if they’re the biggest name and therefore the last headliner announced. 

36 minutes ago, visdave34 said:

I expect The Cure to be at Down The Rabbit Hole or Pinkpop, who both haven’t started ticket sales yet. Would gladly be proven wrong though...

The thing is: DTRH is very unlikely as they do EXIT on the 4th and Roskilde on the 6th. So 5th defo ruled out and the 7th very unlikely. Still no consecutive days announced. For Pinkpop (8-9-10th of June), they do Dublin on the 8th and Fleetwood Mac is headliner on the 10th . Probably not on the same day (or a very crazy day indeed...)? And otherwise consecutive dates. So they don't seem as the best options.

Ed: Lowlands on August 18th another option.

Edited by StupidDream

3 minutes ago, tomes said:

Heartland festival

Announced: The Good The Bad And The Queen, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Elbow, Interpol, Kris Kristofferson & The Strangers, Kamasi Washington en Danny Brown. 

No problem with having them all at BKS. Elbow would possibly claim a headlining position, so they probably won't be booked.

1 hour ago, StupidDream said:

The thing is: DTRH is very unlikely as they do EXIT on the 4th and Roskilde on the 6th. So 5th defo ruled out and the 7th very unlikely. Still no consecutive days announced. For Pinkpop (8-9-10th of June), they do Dublin on the 8th and Fleetwood Mac is headliner on the 10th . Probably not on the same day (or a very crazy day indeed...)? And otherwise consecutive dates. So they don't seem as the best options.

Ed: Lowlands on August 18th another option.

Yeah their dates mean its between here and Lowlands, if they're playing the Netherlands at all. And Best Kept Secret does seem to be the better fit. 

1 hour ago, visdave34 said:

I expect The Cure to be at Down The Rabbit Hole or Pinkpop, who both haven’t started ticket sales yet. Would gladly be proven wrong though...

Jan Smeets said few times that we shouldn’t expect Cure at Pinkpop

15 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Yeah their dates mean its between here and Lowlands, if they're playing the Netherlands at all. And Best Kept Secret does seem to be the better fit. 

I know about the Pinkpop and DTRH dates, they both don't seem too likely. I just can't get my head around why they wouldn't have been announced for BKS before the ticket sales started. And one other thing: Pinkpop's director said in a radio interview they still have a big name to add to the Fleetwood Mac day. (He actually said even bigger than Fleetwood Mac, but his outings should be taken with a pinch of salt, as has been proven in the past).

Lowlands doesn't feel like a good fit, with their headliners of the latest years aiming to a younger audience..

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the Primavera line-up. Last year they had Arctic Monkeys, Björk and Nick Cave as headliners and this year Erykah Badu, Tame Impala, Janelle Monae, Cardi B., Solange und J. Balvin...!? I don't think any of these acts is a bad act, but compared to last year it seems a bit over ambitious in presenting the new gender balanced vision of the festival, resulting in a weaker (or perhaps just for my personal taste: to contemporary) headliner line-up.

If I take a look at all the acts of the lineup I'd like to see at BKS (non-returning) I could also have went to a nice indie festival in the mid-nineties and see most of them:

Erykah Badu, Guided By Voices, Dream Wife, Suede, Mura Masa, Low, Sons of Kemet XL, Stereolab, Jarvis Cocker, Primal Scream, Neneh Cherry, Built To Spill, Shellac, Big Red Machine (Aaron Dessner & Justin Vernon) and Filthy Friends (Corin Tucker, Peter Buck, Bill Rieflin, Krist Novoselic and more).

But: if we get 50% of these bands, I still will be more than happy with BKS, no matter what other bands (and headliners) will be confirmed. ;)