Best Kept Secret 2019

Cirk Vroskov

10 minutes ago, gigi21 said:

Quite happy with the timetable, my only big regret is Jambinai clashing with Bon Iver, but one can't have everything.

As it will be my first time, can someone tell me how difficult will be moving from a stage to another? Is there any stage that needs more than 10 minutes to be reached from another one?

Thank you so much.

No panic, it is a quite small location but it could be overcrowded between stage One and Two (that is one close to the other). 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mellowmaniac said:

They announced some changes to the setting of the stages. I'm pretty sure stage one and two will stay on the same spots and probably four, five and The Casbah as well. Stage three will probably be closer to the lake and no one know yet where stage seven will be - except that it will be floating on the water. In previous years the biggest distance was between stage two and stage five. I's say it can take up to 10 minutes to get there (depending on how determined you are to get there fast ;) ). Stage one and two are pretty close to each other (a couple of minutes). Stage three was between stage one and stage five. To get a good spot it's usually enough to be there 10 minutes before the show starts.

Last year's map:

34864531_1840612576000320_2875155797770240000_o.png

Perfect! I've got one month to connect all the dots :D

If you're camping make sure you arrive early to get a spot close to the festival site. The site itself is quite compact, however the campsite extends from the bottom right corner of that map around the lake well to the other side. Having a tent right across the lake proved to be rather annoying.

Edited by clasher
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, clasher said:

If you're camping make sure you arrive early to get a spot close to the festival site. The site itself is quite compact, however the campsite extends from the bottom right corner of that map around the lake well to the other side. Having a tent right across the lake proved to be rather annoying.

Hmm, as long as you’re not in a bungalow, the distance from the campsite isn’t so bad, is it? I kinda enjoy the daily walk and it’s not like it takes you over 20 minutes or so. The walks at Rock Werchter for instance are way worse, especially when you’re camping at the back of the Hive like we did last year. 

Edited by visdave34

6 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Considering going to this, if we didn't camp and went back and forth from perhaps the city every day would that be doable or a massive hassle?

I think it is perfectly doable. Walk to the cars/shuttle bus is a bit longer than to the camping, so let's say it takes you some 20-30 minutes. Depending on the traffic (of course worst right after headliners, especially Sunday but maybe not as worse this year with Christine). Depending on where you're staying it will take you 15-45 minutes if you're pretty close (also here, depends on if you go by car/bus/taxi). So if you like a really good and quite rest and some luxury of a hotel/airbnb, it will take you 1-2 hours if you start walking at stage ONE :lol: I don't mind a bit of travelling each day, but of course camping could save you quite some time. May be a better option if you plan to stay until 3-4 AM each day.

For the shuttle buses, from their FAQ:

From Tilburg central station, shuttle busses will leave to the festival and the festival camping. You can get a round trip ticket for the shuttle bus for just €5. Unless you can cycle very fast, this is by far the fastest way to get to the festival site from Tilburg.

Schedule:
On Friday, shuttle busses will run between Tilburg central station and the main entrance of Best Kept Secret from 9:00 to 02:00. The sub shuttle bus service between the main entrance and the reception of the holiday resort will run from 10:00 to 18:00.

On Saturday, shuttle busses will run between Tilburg central station and the main entrance of Best Kept Secret from 9:00 to 04:30. The sub shuttle bus service between the main entrance and the reception of the holiday resort will run from 10:00 to 18:00.

On Sunday, shuttle busses will run between Tilburg central station and the main entrance of Best Kept Secret from 11:00 to 02:00. The sub shuttle bus service between the main entrance and the reception of the holiday resort will run from 20:00 to 02:00.

On Monday, shuttle busses will run between Tilburg central station and the main entrance of Best Kept Secret from 08:30 to 13:00. The sub shuttle bus service between the main entrance and the reception of the holiday resort will run from 08:00 to 13:00.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

I think it is perfectly doable. Walk to the cars/shuttle bus is a bit longer than to the camping, so let's say it takes you some 20-30 minutes. Depending on the traffic (of course worst right after headliners, especially Sunday but maybe not as worse this year with Christine). Depending on where you're staying it will take you 15-45 minutes if you're pretty close (also here, depends on if you go by car/bus/taxi). So if you like a really good and quite rest and some luxury of a hotel/airbnb, it will take you 1-2 hours if you start walking at stage ONE :lol: I don't mind a bit of travelling each day, but of course camping could save you quite some time. May be a better option if you plan to stay until 3-4 AM each day.

Really helpful info, thank you.

8 hours ago, visdave34 said:

Hmm, as long as you’re not in a bungalow, the distance from the campsite isn’t so bad, is it? I kinda enjoy the daily walk and it’s not like it takes you over 20 minutes or so. The walks at Rock Werchter for instance are way worse, especially when you’re camping at the back of the Hive like we did last year. 

I stayed in the pre-pitched tents, which were quite far. Depends on the person I guess, and the scenery is lovely, but the point I was trying to make is you can be 5 minutes away from the entrance or 20 so choose wisely. 

2 hours ago, StupidDream said:

I always stay in Tilburg and return by shuttle bus. It's rarely taken much more than an hour stage-to-hotel door. If you get lucky with a bus departing as soon as you reach the stop and board (can happen), then it's little more than 30 minutes.

17 hours ago, 1986 said:

Considering going to this, if we didn't camp and went back and forth from perhaps the city every day would that be doable or a massive hassle?

We also stayed at a hotel once and rented bicycles. If you’re not afraid of a little excercise before and after your festival day, it’s a perfect option. Out hotel was quite far out (about 30-40 minutes by bicycle), but I think it shoul be possible to find something closer. Plus, bicycle stand at BKS is quite close to the arena. 

17 hours ago, 1986 said:

We also stayed at a hotel once and rented bicycles. If you’re not afraid of a little excercise before and after your festival day, it’s a perfect option. Out hotel was quite far out (about 30-40 minutes by bicycle), but I think it shoul be possible to find something closer. Plus, bicycle stand at BKS is quite close to the arena. 

They released thema new map in an animation, couldn't find an image on the website.

Stage seven will be close to stage five, on the old spot of the Kornuit bar, which will now be a beach. Looks like five will be the old tent/barn of three. Stage three entirely new. Don't see other big changes based on this. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody who's also coming tot BKS: enjoy!

Please, do mind it's getting pretty hot this weekend, all of a sudden. So stay cool and hydrated; free tap water at the toilet blocks. And like last year there might be problems with hairy caterpillars causing irritated skin and eyes. So, do mind where you sit down, preferably not without blanket on the ground, especially near trees.

I have had a fun weekend, seen a lot of great things on the friday and the sunday. Top 5: Big Thief, Stereolab, Kate Tempest, Julia Holter and Jambinai. Probably doing Primavera next year for the first time, so not quite sure yet of I will be doing my 8th BKS next year. 

We had a great time at the festival. Perfect weather and overall the right amount of visitors (especially on Sunday and Friday).

My afterthoughts:

my biggest loss is the end of the former Stage Three. Me and my friends were very unpleased when BKS changed the semi-open air stage to the ugly tent, a couple of years ago, but at least there was live music. People seemed to have appreciate the new Stage Three, but it's like another stage four and on BKS I want to see live music and don't need more than one open air stage dedicated to DJs playing mainly electronic music.

Most of the lineup of the former Stage Three and Stage Five are now combined at the new Stage Five. While the accoustics of the new tent is better than that of the old tent, the new tent seems to be even smaller - resulting pretty often in people not getting in, even in the early afternoon (Whispering Sons, for example). Also, especially on Saturday night, the toilet smell was really terrible.

Stage Seven was nice, but a bit claustrophobic. I wish some of the acts playing there would have played a bigger stage, because either you couldn't get in or were cramped into the too small room (for example, at the show of the totally amazing Shht).

The overall booking was amazing as always (great mix of brand new bands and legacy acts), but the scheduling was really strange and for me personally sometimes hard to follow. I love bands like Phosphorence, Guided by Voices and Spiritualized, but all of them would have worked much better in an indoor location. I have no idea why they were placed on Stage One - most of the time very empty in front of stage and as I already wrote, I personally think those band would have worked much better on Stage Two.

Obviously the most controversial and much discussed booking was Carly Rae Jepsen. Thinking the gig was totally boring and redundant might be subjective, but it was totally empty (I'd say perhaps 1.500 people in front of the stage and some more scathered around the whole area - which is way to less for the co-headline spot and a such hyped YouTube and Spotify act.

A last thing that made me really sad was that there were no cups anymore with the full lineup of this year. We collected these cups since the first edition and I think they were a really great reminder of the festival.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Agree with Mellowmaniac above about the stage Five and Seven tents being far too small (and about the toilet smell - have they changed their supplier as it wasn't an issue in previous years?). After being pinned up against the side of Seven unable to move for half of Shht, we abandoned that stage and never went back for the rest of the weekend. Did get inside Five for Whispering Sons, but it was very busy.

Other than that though, another great weekend. Friday highlights for me were Stereolab and Jambinai, with honourable mentions to John Grant, Primal Scream and Spiritualized.

On Saturday Cigarettes After Sex were excellent, and Fat White Family were my band of the weekend - seen them a few times now and they keep getting better.

Sunday was a bit flat by comparison, except for The Raconteurs who were brilliant (unexpectedly so for me - I had thought I only liked "that" song by them, but the whole set rocked).