Best Kept Secret 2019

Cirk Vroskov

I expect Christine and the Queens to show up as well. (Strongly) Rumoured to headline a day of APE, but doubt if BKS would do that as well... Probably the CHVRCHES spot of this year, closing the TWO after the headliner? 

Had the same 'issues' with The Cure: may take too long to announce, not announced first, not many dates that early. Or this is strategy and end with the biggest, Pinkpop also announced three names today. I am very happy George Ezra is doing Pinkpop and very likely not BKS.

List of names for possible headliners I had for coming year was: Bon Iver, Vampire Weekend, The Cure, Lana del Rey, The Strokes, Tame Impala, Björk. The Strokes is rumoured but remains unsure. Expect Tame Impala at Lowlands or Down the Rabbit Hole. And Björk is sort of a wildcard, nothing announced yet? May be some hiphop or electronic name in the mix. Hope not Chemical Brothers, was thinking about Kraftwerk but don't know what to think of them. And then I don't even begin about the expected undercard... 

1 minute ago, lighthouse said:

Yeah maybe but mentally The National feels like a bigger, more established and widely more popular band. They have a lot of 'modern classics/well known songs' that Bon Iver lacks.

Love Bon Iver though! I just think they're sliiiiightly 'smaller' than The National. Doesn't matter though.

I guess many - if not most of us, aren't from the Netherlands and bands are very often on a quite different level of popularity in different countries. In Germany Bon Iver is even a bit bigger than The National and Arcade Fire right now. Bon Iver's last show in Germany was sold out at Max Schmeling Halle Belin (capacity 12.000), The National played two sold out shows at Tempodrom Berlin (capacity: 3.500) and Arcade Fire at Festhalle Frankfurt (capacity: 9.400)

Jamie XX played in Cologne in a venue fitting 800 people when headlining Best Kept Secret, Run The Jewel haven't even toured Germany yet and even Editors, while selling out arenas in Benelux played on their last tour in some venues fitting 1.500 people (and played at Ziggo Dome in Amsterdam fitting 17.000 people).

6 hours ago, dj_tim said:

Are The Strokes rumours actually based on anything? Was my first time at this festival last year and I loved it so much I'm considering going again this year instead of Glastonbury. The Strokes (having never seen them) would probably seal it for me.

As far as I know there are no rumours about The Strokes showing up at BKS specifically. I put them on my list of potential headliners each year, although they're probably way too expensive and I prefer a great undercard instead. They are/were rumoured for APE and Latitude, but unclear whether this was based on good info. At least part of it is hearsay. They are doing solo projects, but that doesn't necessarily rule them out. I would say chances are slim and The Cure is far more likely. Third headliner won't be crazy expensive and probably no white blokes with guitars (if they're able to get something else of course...).

Brilliant start. Don't really care for Mac Demarco, and not massively familiar with Cigarettes After Sex, but 3/5 being must sees and the other 2 not being write offs is sick. Not sure they're acts that are gonna get any of my mates to commit tho so will prob need a bit more. The Cure or The Strokes, especially the latter, would do it. Hoping they've missed out on Vampire Weekend, although they suit the festival perfectly. 

Four very solid names, but (kind of usual for BKS) 3/4 have already played BKS before - so no big surprises yet.

One of the major booking partners are Belmont Booking (who also book Bon Iver). Beside of all the other possible returning Belmont acts, there are two bands who seem very likely to be at BKS: The Tallest Man on Earth (after 2015 probably for the second time at BKS. Confirmend for APE on 02.06. and closely connected to Bon Iver) and Mudhoney (amazing show last month and fits perfectly BKS' 90s guitar band approach).

I'm actually a bit surprised BKS didn't announce at least a second headliner before the official ticket sale started.

Edited by mellowmaniac
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mellowmaniac said:

I'm actually a bit surprised BKS didn't announce at least a second headliner before the official ticket sale started.

Two acts who haven't announced a 2019 (festival) tour? Strange The Cure hasn't been announced, so maybe not? Maybe they actually go for headliners who at least have a recent body of (good) work? 

APE 26.05.:

Christine and the Queens, Metronomy, Maribou State, Beach House, Honne, Kurt Vile and the Violators, Toro Y Moi, Ezra Collective, Baloji, Rina Sawayama, Cuco

Christine and the Queen seem most probable for BKS since a while and just got even more probable. The question is, if she is known enough in the Netherlands to be a headliner (as if BKS ever cared ;) ).

5 hours ago, Orens said:

According to Primavera's boss, Kendrick isn't available this time of the year.

I've heard. Kendrick would've fit. Anderson Paak could add more dates to his tour. Beach House and Stereolab are also probable. Maybe by the end of the week we'll have new names on the bill.

Long shots: Yo La Tengo and Flaming Lips

48 minutes ago, uncertain said:

... Stereolab ...

Would love to see them at BKS (and/or PKP).

I had to check that as I'd not heard anywhere that they'd reformed, but then I found this was posted on their website just today:

Stereolab will undertake an extensive reissue campaign covering albums from 1993's Transient Random Noise-Bursts With Announcements through to 2004's Margerine Eclipse. All 7 albums will be reissued throughout 2019. Keep ‘em peeled for news of the live return of Stereolab.