Best Kept Secret 2019

Cirk Vroskov

• 4 weeks later...

Even though the poster is definitely no way official or close to a leak there are some probable names...

I think it's still too early for proper predictions, but we might start the guessing game, just to spend some time waiting for a first official announcement.

The Cure (probably at a bigger NL festival)

Richard Ashcroft

Vampire Weekend

Christine and the Queens (would be a nice return)

The Streets

Liam Gallagher

Mumford & Sons (might be to big by now)

The 1975 (might also be to big for their music not being 100% BKS headliner stuff)

And possible smaller bands (from Friendly Fires' roster): Alice Phoebe Lou, Be Charlotte, Blanche, Blood Orange, Catfish and the Bottlemen, Dream Wife, Giant Rooks, Her, Nadine Shah, Not3s, Phoebe Bridgers,...

Edited by mellowmaniac

I think that Mumford and Sons is already pretty much ruled out with them playing in Amsterdam in may. If The Cure does Primavera, they probably do BKS as well but I am afraid that their tour won't start that early. Either BKS or Down The Rabbit Hole would be the best fit for the Cure in my opinion, their last passage at Pinkpop didn't sell very well. Vampire Weekend would be my surest bet for one of the headlining spots. Some names that could return next year: Amber Arcades (great new record), Mitski, Cloud Nothings, Thomas Azier, Christine and the Queens, Low, Death Cab for Cutie, Interpol, Lykke Li, Kurt Vile. 

10 hours ago, Tijn said:

I think that Mumford and Sons is already pretty much ruled out with them playing in Amsterdam in may. If The Cure does Primavera, they probably do BKS as well but I am afraid that their tour won't start that early. Either BKS or Down The Rabbit Hole would be the best fit for the Cure in my opinion, their last passage at Pinkpop didn't sell very well. Vampire Weekend would be my surest bet for one of the headlining spots. Some names that could return next year: Amber Arcades (great new record), Mitski, Cloud Nothings, Thomas Azier, Christine and the Queens, Low, Death Cab for Cutie, Interpol, Lykke Li, Kurt Vile. 

The Cure play Ireland on June 8th.

Considering booking this. Their website is kinda shit so I'm hoping someone doesn't mind helping me with a couple of questions please.

Anyone know what the glamping options are? Like, the cheapest one available last year would be useful info if anyone knows. I feel like I looked this up last year and it was v expensive, but I'm not 100% sure.

Are there any shops nearby to buy beer, and is it cheap? What are the rules on taking cans in, I'm assuming it's fine in the campsite but not the arena? 

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Odessa said:

Considering booking this. Their website is kinda shit so I'm hoping someone doesn't mind helping me with a couple of questions please.

Anyone know what the glamping options are? Like, the cheapest one available last year would be useful info if anyone knows. I feel like I looked this up last year and it was v expensive, but I'm not 100% sure.

Are there any shops nearby to buy beer, and is it cheap? What are the rules on taking cans in, I'm assuming it's fine in the campsite but not the arena? 

Cheers!

It’s situated next to a bungalow and safari park, so a lot of luxury options available. Will look it up for you later. Is indeed expensive though. 

There’s a pop-up grocery store on the campsite where you can buy cold (and very reasonably priced) cans of beer. Als allowed to bring your own onto the campsite. Not allowed to take any with you in the arena. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, visdave34 said:

It’s situated next to a bungalow and safari park, so a lot of luxury options available. Will look it up for you later. Is indeed expensive though. 

There’s a pop-up grocery store on the campsite where you can buy cold (and very reasonably priced) cans of beer. Als allowed to bring your own onto the campsite. Not allowed to take any with you in the arena. 

Sounds like I'd have to take a tent then, awkward for a foreign festival but will get it sorted.

How reasonably priced are we talking? Sounds good. Thanks for your reply!!

2 hours ago, Odessa said:

Sounds like I'd have to take a tent then, awkward for a foreign festival but will get it sorted.

There's no info yet on 2019's accomodation, and prices, but I can direct you towards the possible facilities at the holiday and safari park, just to give you an impression:
https://www.beeksebergen.nl/en/stay-the-night/accommodations (make sure to click on Holiday park too, not just 'Most booked')

I also remember them renting out those environment friendly cardboard tents, you can find more info here:
https://www.festitribe.com/listings/bks-kartent/ (doesn't look like much, but sure beats dragging your own tent on the trip)

As for the beers on the campsite, I remember them being reasonably priced even by Dutch standards (we chose only to bring a small amount of beers from the parking lot to the camping and just buy at the camping shop the rest of the weekend), so I'd say € 10 for a sixpack of 33cl cans? Can't remember exactly...

Edited by visdave34
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, visdave34 said:

There's no info yet on 2019's accomodation, and prices, but I can direct you towards the possible facilities at the holiday and safari park, just to give you an impression:
https://www.beeksebergen.nl/en/stay-the-night/accommodations (make sure to click on Holiday park too, not just 'Most booked')

I also remember them renting out those environment friendly cardboard tents, you can find more info here:
https://www.festitribe.com/listings/bks-kartent/ (doesn't look like much, but sure beats dragging your own tent on the trip)

As for the beers on the campsite, I remember them being reasonably priced even by Dutch standards (we chose only to bring a small amount of beers from the parking lot to the camping and just buy at the camping shop the rest of the weekend), so I'd say € 10 for a sixpack of 33cl cans? Can't remember exactly...

Those cardboard tents look...interesting. Haha. Seems fairly pricey even for them, they look tiny. Don't know if I believe that 2 people and their stuff could fit in one of them.

Cheers for sourcing all that info mate I appreciate it. 

5 hours ago, Odessa said:

Those cardboard tents look...interesting. Haha. Seems fairly pricey even for them, they look tiny. Don't know if I believe that 2 people and their stuff could fit in one of them.

Cheers for sourcing all that info mate I appreciate it. 

Re the Kartents - Me and my friend took this option in 2017. With the airbed in the whole thing is indeed quite low and a bit tricky to get into, however it's comfy enough and with the tents made out of cardboard also cool enough to sleep well past 8/9ish am as is usually the case. There is just enough room to fit two suitcases inside too. In my opinion it's well worth the money if you're flying and can't bring your own tent.

There's a small market and proper showers near the pre-pitched tents site. 0,33 cans of beer in the camp were cheap, somehow I have the feeling it was 1€ each, although I really can't remember and could have as well been 2€.

0,4l of beer in the festival site was about 4-4,5€ though.

16 hours ago, Odessa said:

For a bit more money, you can also book a tipi (2-3 p. I believe?) which has a mattress floor, as well as pre-pitched tents, I thought. Looked into that for this year, but struggling to remember prices. Also thought you had options to rent a pillow and sleeping bag. All very convenient when travelling from abroad. I will also try to find if I have the prices somewhere.

EDIT: Ah, on that same website also found the pre-pitched tent and tipi options. I think the prices are about right:

Tipi: https://www.festitribe.com/listings/bks-festipi-2p-m/ Note the deposit, you'll get that back. 

Tent: https://www.festitribe.com/listings/bks-2018-festitent-2p/

Thought there were even more options than I can currently find.

EDIT2: I found the discussion I had with my friend about the tent options. As far as I can understand it, it was €135 for a tent, €155 including air mattresses, and €215 including sleeping bag and pillow. Think it's the total. So with two people €67,50-107,50 per person, which isn't unreasonable I think. Tipi bit more expensive, and it says you have to bring your own sleeping bag. 

Edited by StupidDream

Some of the first confirmations for Hurricane/Southside in Germany (by FKP Scorpio which are partner of Friendly Fire for BKS):

Foo Fighters

Mumford and Sons

The Cure

Papa Roach

Enter Shikari

Frank Turner

Wombats

The Streets

I'd say Mumford and Sons and The Cure could very well be BKS headliners with the Streets as a BKS Stage Two headliner.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mellowmaniac said:

In the past years usually one BKS headliner also performed at Northside.

Fingers crossed for The Cure, Bon Iver, plus a third electronic or hip hop headliner for BKS and The Streets as a Stage Two headliner.

Well...  In 2017 they both had Radiohead and Run the Jewels, and in 2016 both Beck and Jamie xx. You could debate of course wether they were headliners at Northside, but they were at BKS. Indeed other years just one shared headliner, I believe. Please be it at least Bon Iver this year...

Still waiting for APE to announce something. Guess BKS will be December at the earliest.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, doobie ninja said:

Hi guys

This festival has always looked really nice / chilled to me. Is it all guitar based music? or are there small stages / bars with dance, electro stuff?

Thanks

Good mix, lots of everything. 

Have a look to a previous clashfinder

https://clashfinder.com/s/bks2017/

Stage 4 is basically only djs. 

2,3,5 have some electronic mostly during the night

Edited by alan_ts

9 minutes ago, doobie ninja said:

Hi guys

This festival has always looked really nice / chilled to me. Is it all guitar based music? or are there small stages / bars with dance, electro stuff?

Thanks

Highly recommend this festival. Great setting, easy to get to, not too big, decent line ups, good food and drink. Being a bit earlier next year may mean lower temps though (lucky enough to be scorching when we went last year)

Thanks guys.....i checked the clash finder and saw Run The Jewels and Soulwax straight away and thought "yep, my type of place!"

I know this will sound a bit lame, but it just looks like a really "nice" festival :)  i'm interested and i think this and/or Exit are at the top of my list at the moment.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2018 at 12:42 PM, Cirk Vroskov said:

Here's a poster I found on one of our Czech-based festival sites, It's too early to be raeality, surely it is fake. But I hope to see a * load of the names on that poster. You know ? :-)

bks19.jpg

Hi, I am from Czech Republic :) where did you find it? This year was my firts BKS and I was satisfied.Great lineup with great timetable and nice place. I am very curious about 2019.