Queueing Experiences 2017

kalifire

Last year, I arrived on site on a shuttle from the drop off point at about 4am on Wednesday. I expected to get off and join the queue at PGA, as per normal. But when those of us on the shuttle got off, we found nobody waiting at Gate A at all. The queue just didn’t exist. 

As we got closer, stewards directed us around the corner, and we soon realised we’d be joining a huge queue that didn’t appear to end anywhere I could work out.

After joining the queue and giving up any hope of getting in before about midday, some random steward starts shouting that if anyone is planning to camp at Pennards or that area of the site, we should leave this queue and join the back of PGD’s queue instead.

I didn’t know what to make of this, but figured my position couldn’t be any worse than it was already so I trudged along to that queue instead and ended up getting in at about 8:45am.

Queueing for early arrivals on the shuttle seemed disorganised last year. I assume that eventually the standard PGA queue must have appeared, as all the fencing was laid out for it. Maybe it started when the first coaches arrived? 

What was your queue experience like last year? 

Thought: I believe they introduced mandatory baggage checks in 2017 so maybe that had something to do with it. 

We arrived Weds normal mid morning, in and set up by 13:00. We came in from the West side PGA, have done since 2015.

it was only from 2010 (I think) that the overnight queues started to gather momentum, never bothered myself, but understand for those who want prime camping slots.

The security measures had a small impact but nothing too detrimental. It was bloody hot though!

PS we only have around 70 miles to travel up from Devon, the weds mid morning arrival works for us.

I left the North West around 3.30am (if memory serves me right), ended up driving the most abstract way onto site and bypassed any queueing traffic. 

Got parked up at around 8.30am(ish). Joined the queue to PGD that stretched to the very edges of the car park. It was a long wait... I can't remember exactly what time we got on site but I think it was around 1/1.30pm. There were long periods we didn't move at all, and because of the heat we saw several casualties. Security told me that a few didn't get through the queue and had needed medical attention. 

Getting in was fine, after the queue we breezed through a quick bag check etc. 

I will definitely make sure I have some fluids on me next year (if I'm fortunate enough to be in that queue!).

From memory, we got there early afternoon and encountered a shortish queue at Gate D, quick bag search (my brother just walked straight in without being searched at all) and we were all set up and cracked the first can within a few minutes.

As I prefer to camp in nice quiet Bushy Grounds I don't see the point of the overnight queue, you end having to have a mid-afternoon or evening snooze so you don't really gain any extra festival time.

Arrived about 6am on the Weds and joined the queue at PGA. Usual story - stop, start, overloaded wheelbarrows going over. As the sun came up though it started to get a bit uncomfortable and by 9:30am people were starting to get really warm/tired and running short on patience in the heat. Got to the bag checks and had no more than a cursory glance, my missus strolled straight through. Think we were in about 11am and set up by 11:30am, but it was absolutely baking and the sweat was pouring off us.

Arrived by coach at gate A around 9 if memory serves, was in and setup by 11:59 at the latest because I remember thinking it was good that I was able to have my first beer before 12 but worried the cider bus wouldn’t be open yet. The queue wasn’t bad but it was hot, the bag check was me being instructed to turn around, the bloke squeezed my bag and then said I could go. I also remember walking around thinking how busy the site seemed early on in comparison to 2016 when it felt empty, presumably because everyone was stuck in the traffic.

Waltzed in Gate A at 11am, no queue at all. 

The apparent shambles and heavy security was all by design, to deter any would be terrorists. So the people who arrived early and queued for hours took the hit for the rest of us. The public message was that it would've been almost impossible to get into the festival with anything dangerous. Let the punters post pics and moan about it on social media. We did security PR for the festival!

29 minutes ago, The Nal said:

The apparent shambles and heavy security was all by design, to deter any would be terrorists. So the people who arrived early and queued for hours took the hit for the rest of us. The public message was that it would've been almost impossible to get into the festival with anything dangerous. Let the punters post pics and moan about it on social media. We did security PR for the festival!

You were pretty lucky as we arrived at gate A only 30 mins after you and had to wait in this, got in about 1:30. 

Charm x

einr4o.jpg

obviously a somewhat different experience when arriving in East Campervan/Caravan fields.. (on a Tuesday lunchtime)

Half way down Pylle Lane they take you off into a field to check tickets and often a random check in the vans for glass.. I thought this was where we would have a stepped up security focus last year but there wasnt even a cursory glance...

a stop/start meander through Pylle and up to the CV East entrance and then you are parked in no time... (i have to say that GF absolutely nail this virtually every year - the chaos of 2016 being an exception)..

I am an early riser and like to sit with a coffee at the top of the Hill of Death and watch as they open up the car parks about 7am and start trudging people through that have been in cars overnight.

Interestingly there is a growing number that come in to CV East on Tuesday and then have their tents and such like and start queueing down the bottom of HoD during the night to get first in at Gate C...

I remember being anxious about how long the queuing would be with the new more extensive bag searches that were proclaimed on the run up to it, and also the forecast sun and heat. 

I'm the end it was fine- arrived by coach around 7 or 8ish am, queue wasn't too bad at PGA and moved at the same speed as usual, so all was fine in the end. Think I ended up queuing for about 40mins in the end. 

3 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

Interestingly there is a growing number that come in to CV East on Tuesday and then have their tents and such like and start queueing down the bottom of HoD during the night to get first in at Gate C...

That's started happening at cv west aswell. Doesn't bother me as i'm happy to sit, watch, drink and smoke till the queuing has dwindled to nothing. Lovely.

Mind you it's nothing compared to other gates, even at its most busy.

Edited by mashedonmud

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

I'm the end it was fine- arrived by coach around 7 or 8ish am, queue wasn't too bad at PGA and moved at the same speed as usual, so all was fine in the end. Think I ended up queuing for about 40mins in the end. 

Sounds like they started the PGA queue later than normal then. Previously I’d arrive at around 4-5am and there’d already be a PGA queue. 

We stayed in Pilton the night before so breezed through I think it was Gate C, wristbanded by 7.30am and camp set up by 8.30am. Easiest entry ever even over mid afternoon Thursday arrival in 2014. Was gutted walking by some prime real estate in Big Ground and Pennards to make camp in Paines as agreed with the group. 

8 hours ago, The Nal said:

We had no checks at all in CV East on Tuesday at 10.00 am, they just rolled us through as soon as, at the time I thought 'good PR' :)

Edited by Kizzie

18 hours ago, Kizzie said:

We had no checks at all in CV East on Tuesday at 10.00 am, they just rolled us through as soon as, at the time I thought 'good PR' :)

We were the same, but they pulled our friends who were behind us to check them out. We had to wait for them to finish before we could roll in together. Only took a few minutes though :)

Arrived by coach around 2ish on Wednesday, no real queue. Never have much of an  issue when I arrive by coach. This year(presuming we get tickets) we will stay in Tipi Fields or Worthy View, stay in hotel around Bristol night before  have a relaxed breakfast before driving in with no real pressure of trying to find a pitch for our massive tent!

Last year was worse queuing experience I've had at the festivals so far, nearly 4 hours or tortuous zig-zagging through multiple barrier chicanes in blistering heat before I finally made it through, that and the over-politicisation of last years festival means I shan't bother again, far better smaller festivals to be had out there with less hassle, less political bullshit and brilliant line-ups

• Downvote 2

queued for longer than i can ever remember, a friend of mine nearly passed out in the heat. took far too long . lost my fried in the hill walk who was carrying his child on the back of a trolley.  Took hours to get in, 

when i finally got to camp , i find my friend (whom i had lost ) a steward had seen his child fall off the trolley and told him to walk to the front and bypass all the queue. moral of the story take a child. might start a business hiring children to to get you to the front of the queue. not dodgy at all

We rolled into CV Eastbabout 3.30 am Weds morning .

Extent of security check for a 6 m Camper was “ Got any glass ?”  

I seem to remember they opened the gates early as the casualties from the heat were deemed to more probable than casualties from terrorists .

Having been to Glasto since 1999 the so called increase in security was a load of crap.