Possible Glasto first timer

danielle6661

Hi all! As the title suggests, luck permitting, I'm hoping 2019 is my first Glasto festival, and I'd love some tips for someone who's never been. 

I've done Download, Reading, V and Benicassim, and hear Glasto is just another world of its own. From what I've read into the festival so far, I love how eco-friendly it is, too

One question I have is that I couldn't see anything online for the option for upgrading to "posher loos" at Glasto. Is such a thing possible? I always opt for "Seat of Luxury" whenever it's available at a festival, bc it's nice to have flushing toilets in the village for a few days. Or is that only possible with the "glamping" style options? 

There's nothing like that on-site. All the toilets in public areas these days are fairly standard composting or long drop toilets, or at least that's how it's been the last few years. There was some pay-for toilets in the early to mid-00s but they're long gone, and there was some public flushing toilets just up the hill from the Pyramid Stage but they got removed a year or two back because of the extra load they put on the site water supply.

There's a handful of places off site (ie outside the fence) that claim to offer "luxury" facilities for the people who want that, but personally I really don't understand it. You'd potentially be making a 2+ hour round trip each time you needed to go - and that's not even an exaggeration, from say the Pyramid Stage field to the posh place outside Gate D, it'll easily be an hour each way, more if the conditions are bad. Better just to learn to deal with the facilities on offer. The scale of the site really does change your perspective, it's not comparable to anything else out there.

Welcome, your mind will be blown! 

I too wouldn't bother with off site posh loos either. The composters across the site and the long drops in the less busy areas are generally fine these days, regularly cleaned and well looked after.  I'm not a huge walker/dancer and i was clocking up 30,000 steps a day...its hard and tiring enough without having to make extra long trips to the loo... Let alone being able to forecast that far ahead when you want to go! 

Enjoy what the festival has to offer instead x

• Upvote 1

I’ve only been to Leeds and Bestival, but the Glastonbury toilets are considerably cleaner and nicer than at those two, particularly Leeds. Use the compost ones if you can rather than portaloos, but I think you’ll find they’re all not as bad as you’re expecting.

• Upvote 1

I think you will struggle to find portaloos on site anymore ... there are people cleaning the longdrops pretty much non stop these days and the compost ones are great .... only thing I wouldn't recommend is taking the morning paper down there for a read ... they aren't quite that good yet :) 

• Upvote 1

Thank you guys! ?

Also, I read on the website there's handwashing/hand sanitiser outside all of the toilet? That's handy.

Another Q: I'm correct in thinking it's not like other festivals in that you can take in your own booze since there's no separation between the campsite and the arena? 

2 minutes ago, danielle6661 said:

Thank you guys! ?

Also, I read on the website there's handwashing/hand sanitiser outside all of the toilet? That's handy.

Another Q: I'm correct in thinking it's not like other festivals in that you can take in your own booze since there's no separation between the campsite and the arena? 

The sanitiser can run out by Sunday so worth taking some of your own.

You can indeed take in your own alcohol.

If you are taking a camper van or book a pre-set up tent etc at Worthy View or any of the other external camping sites offered by tangerine fields etc then you will be “outside” the superfence and will need to enter the main site daily. You can still bring booze in. Or you can camp inside in any of the designated camping fields- some fill up very early on Weds morning. Bear in mind you need to carry all your stuff from the car on to the site - this could involve a walk over muddy/rocky terrain for well over a mile. The compost loos are fine and the long drops are ok . You can get free loo roll from the lock ups or just keep some paper tissues handy- there are no portaloos with loo paper like at some festivals! 

The free lock ups are a good call for taking stuff you’ll need later in the day with you if you don’t want to do numerous treks back to the tent/van, or, lug everything round all day.

You can dump your jumper and mac for later when it gets chilly (or vice verse if it stars out horrible and brightens up). You can even leave your extra alcohol there! You just sign stuff in and make a voluntary donation to water aid. I usually just stick £1 in each time I go there. 

The lock ups are also great for leaving your bank card or any spare cash until you need it in case of pickpocketing or tent theft. 

They are really secure and there are a few different spots across the site that you can use.

• Upvote 1

Think the posh loo question has been answered but in terms of tips:

- Glastonbury is huge. It's unlike any other festival I've been to in terms of size comparison. I always try to almost train for it for a few months before like walking more day to day. It's a shock to the system going from being lazy to walking miles and miles everyday.

-  You can make the festival as expensive or cheap as you like because you can bring your own food/alcohol and enjoy it freely. However, a big part of the festival for me is the food. There are so many wonderful options at a range of budgets and lots of variation to cater for vegans/veggies etc. Try to eat out at least once a day so you can enjoy!

- Don't spend all your time at main stages. Some of the best things I've seen take place in tiny tents or in secret areas. Spend time in theatre and circus too - some wonderful things happen there! 

You're in for a serious treat. Get yourself up the hill towards the sign when you've set up camp, only turn round when you're at the top. If you turn around halfway, you may as well go home as you won't be accepted.

Only joshin, anyway, my older bro might be joining our group for 2019 for his first GF, not sure he'll be able to hack it, it'll be my 5th. Getting serious Glasto excitement lately!

Edited by Stokesy10

Use the lock-ups for anything valuable and treat them like an ATM.

Your day bag should include: hand sanitiser, travel johns, toilet roll & wet wipes.

The best attitude to have is 'fuck it, let's have the best 5 days I possibly can'. Sometimes the toilets can be grim. Just do what needs to be done and waste no time dwelling on it.

Come along to the eFests meet up on Wednesday if you can.

Edited by kalifire

30 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Use the lock-ups for anything valuable and treat them like an ATM.

Your day bag should include: hand sanitiser, travel johns, toilet roll & wet wipes.

The best attitude to have is 'fuck it, let's have the best 5 days I possibly can'. Sometimes the toilets can be grim. Just do what needs to be done and waste no time dwelling on it.

Come along to the eFests meet up on Wednesday if you can.

my day bag has everything i may need for 24 hours, sometimes i don't go back until my head can't handle any more

I stayed at Tangerine Fields in 2017 and they have some nice amenities, flush type toilets and hotish showers. They also have their own bar, a little cook place where you can buy simply prepared hot food and a another that sold pastries, juice, coffee etc. It is quite a walk into main areas of Glastonbury itself and not worth going back at all during the day. I found for myself I would just take a small pack with me and stay on site all day until late night. You do need to take either tissue paper or some sort of wet wipe with you. Most of the loos had disinfectant and water but to be safe take a small bottle of hand disinfectant with you. My trick for surviving the long drops. Don't look down. Also they have these really long hooks on the doors so I hung my pack on there before locking the door and you did not have to set it down on the sometimes suspicious looking and often wet  ground. 

Hints- line up for central loos rather than outside as the lineup is more democratic. (The outside stalls people have a tendency to line up for specific doors where lining up for the inside ones is more a first free door is your door type of line up.) if you use a loo near one of the stages the line ups are shorter while the band is playing. The break between bands is very busy. 

P.S. This is the Festival you have been training your whole life for. The best laid plans are bound to fail. Go with it. Glastonbury publishes their own paper twice during the festival. How cool is that?

Edited by JacquelineS
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, JacquelineS said:

I stayed at Tangerine Fields in 2017 and they have some nice amenities, flush type toilets and hotish showers. They also have their own bar, a little cook place where you can buy simply prepared hot food and a another that sold pastries, juice, coffee etc. It is quite a walk into main areas of Glastonbury itself and not worth going back at all during the day. I found for myself I would just take a small pack with me and stay on site all day until late night. You do need to take either tissue paper or some sort of wet wipe with you. Most of the loos had disinfectant and water but to be safe take a small bottle of hand disinfectant with you. My trick for surviving the long drops. Don't look down. Also they have these really long hooks on the doors so I hung my pack on there before locking the door and you did not have to set it down on the sometimes suspicious looking and often wet  ground. 

Hints- line up for central loos rather than outside as the lineup is more democratic. (The outside stalls people have a tendency to line up for specific doors where lining up for the inside ones is more a first free door is your door type of line up.) if you use a loo near one of the stages the line ups are shorter while the band is playing. The break between bands is very busy. 

P.S. This is the Festival you have been training your whole life for. The best laid plans are bound to fail. Go with it. Glastonbury publishes their own paper twice during the festival. How cool is that?

Good timing :) im just off to badminton ... where last week I discovered that I play with someone who helps run this magnificent contraption :) 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2018 at 1:37 AM, danielle6661 said:

Hi all! As the title suggests, luck permitting, I'm hoping 2019 is my first Glasto festival, and I'd love some tips for someone who's never been. 

I've done Download, Reading, V and Benicassim, and hear Glasto is just another world of its own. From what I've read into the festival so far, I love how eco-friendly it is, too

One question I have is that I couldn't see anything online for the option for upgrading to "posher loos" at Glasto. Is such a thing possible? I always opt for "Seat of Luxury" whenever it's available at a festival, bc it's nice to have flushing toilets in the village for a few days. Or is that only possible with the "glamping" style options? 

If you're first question about Glastonbury is about the loos then my advice would be to is to camp on an outside camp like worthy view.. Pop-up hotel... Tipi village or tangerine fields which will all have nice clean loos.. 

That's if you are lucky enough to get a ticket... Then hope it doesn't R... Otherwise you're lovely loos will be as muddy as ours..