When to call it a day?

tjamest

Thanks guys, all comments  taken on board.  I dont feel mentaly tired when i am there, it is purly a physical thing mostly  due to aforementioned knackered knees. 

Campervan could be the way forward and i remember Grumpy  Hack talking about carrying a little chair around with him which i mignt have to do as unfortunately my body wont let me just throw myselfe down on the ground

I dont ming getting older, it has just happened so quickly!

21 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I can't face the walk from the main part of the site to either of the campervan fields, east or west. It's easierto be in say, Kidney Mead, but then there's the stress of getting onsite early enough to pitch up in there. And all that lugging gear around, I just don't know. The other thing is that I use Glastonbury as a very good way to catch up with friends, many of whom I haven't seen since the previous summer. And the site is so big, the attractions so vast, that if you're going to see different bands, that's at least a 3 hour mission.

Ah fuck it, who am I kidding, I'll be there in October, bashing away furiously at F5 like a meth-addicted lab rat

Campervan east is nearer to the good end of the site than almost any of the camping areas!

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Yeah accept you can't do it like a twenty something and simply revel in the essence of just being there and derive pleasure from just observing the latest generations enjoy and discover it.

Aye. One of my favourite sights (I think 2010 as it was properly sunny) was a couple I would guess in their mid 70s sat in their camping chairs outside the acoustic tent. He looked like Santa and I remember she had this classic floral print sunday dress, both with sun hats on, with a thermos of tea and a little picnic. Just enjoying the music and watching the world go by.

And smoking a monster joint :lol:

Made me massively happy just watching them for a bit :)

Edited by Quark
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I'm glad this topic has come up! My first Glastonbury was 2014. I'd just come back from a few months backpacking, and I walked miles in the site with no problems. All the Glastonburys since then have been very painful, be it my back, or my feet, or just complete exhaustion. Maybe I push it too hard for someone who has a job sitting on his arse all day! I always leave having had a brilliant time, but feeling like it was a massive struggle, and maybe I was doing it wrong!

My plan is to go for tickets for 2019 and 2020 and that'll be it. They'll be my 10th and 11th Glastonbury's respectively. I've already seen every act I could realistically want to see and pretty much done everything I've wanted to do at the festival so I've got no regrets. I've had some of the best times of my life and some will say that at 43 (in 2020) I'd be silly to give it up while I can still physically do it but it'll be someone else's time to have my ticket and enjoy it. Seems like there's a whole generation of Glasto-goers having the same thought.

Partying since 1993 has physically and mentally taken its toll and I'm already doing (and looking for) new ways to enjoy myself these days. 

If I'm lucky enough to get a ticket for 2019 I'll also be looking to hire a camper van, primarily for comfort but to also do the festival from a different perspective. Camping in a tent wrecks me these days.

For me festivals have become caravanning with a bit of music attached.  By that I mean the greatest fun is just sitting around the van and chatting and chilling with neighbours and old friends. Add to that bimbling round the site and taking in a few bands. In other words it's the joy of simply being there and leaving the real world behind for a few days.

• Upvote 1

There will for me be a time to retire from Glastonbury, however I’m planning to continue well into my 60’s. I’ve already adapted to keep the experience positive, and enjoyable, rather than an almighty slog:

1. Avoiding much queuing and carrying gear, easy drive into CV East Tuesday morning, then a chilled out remainder of the day. I do miss camping in Big Ground but you can’t have everything.

2. I no longer try to cover the whole site, except for a tour round without the crowds on Thursday. Much of my time is spent Park to Avalon to West Holts area, and rarely suffer huge rammed crowds.

3. I drink much less, maybe quite a few on the Wednesday and that’s it.

4. Most nights, boringly, I’m in bed by 1am.

I think I've hung up my Glastonbury spurs now, but might, if I'm honest, have one last fandango in 2020, tickets permitting. There's no getting away from it, I'm too old and too tired to get around the site now. It doesn't matter how many drugs I shovel down my throat, I just don't have the energy, or the inclination, to go galavanting around the whole site like my life depended on it. I'd like to think that I could still hack it, but that's just stupid bravado. Time to give my space up to those who can hack it? Yeah, probably is. As I say, I'd like one more bash in 2020. After that I think it would be immoral for me to be taking the place of someone younger. I've had my day, and I've had my fill - and it aint what it was anyway* I'd really love to attend the 2019 efests meet up though. I'm thinking of ways that I could make that happen. I know someone who may be able to assist in that, which would mean working the festival. Maybe that's what I'll have to do (if possible) in order to hook up and meet you lovely people. 

* I think I may have turned in to my Daily Mail reading father! How did it come to this? Oh FFS!

I think the question you need to keep in your head is "would I be happier staying at home?" Based on what you posted it doesn't sound to me like you would be, at least not yet anyway. It is a bit of a marathon though. Maybe if you came down on thursday or friday instead of doing the full 5 days?

15 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I plan to go in 19 and 20 (Ticket Gods permitting) then take an extended break for a few years, I have a seven month old daughter and want to wait until she's old enough to appreciate the festival before taking her (and any more if they come along). Mrs Jass and I are going to do next year as a joint last hurrah together and I've always said I wanted to do the 50th. That'll be something daft like 15 or so festivals, that'll do for a while.

Yeah I'm like this a bit now.

I'm thinking 19 & 20 then bowing out at least for a while.

It can't be underestimated the feeling of waking up in one of the camper fields (or similarly anywhere outside of the fence) and knowing that as soon as you step outside your sleeping arrangement you're not bang in the middle of the cut and thrust of the festival again. 

Both physically and mentally having those moments of relative peace before you get back involved in it all are priceless.

I look at it a bit like taking on the festival on your terms rather than the festival taking you on it's terms.

I'm not calling it a day as such, but I've made the decision to give 2019 a miss.

No health reasons as I'm still relatively young, I've just decided to do other things next year like travel (Vietnam & NZ)/other festivals (not sure which ones yet, maybe Bluedot?)

I'll be back at G 2020 but am going to try other things :ninja: (I'll be the one sobbing next June at my stupid decision made in Autumn 2018) 

17 hours ago, tjamest said:

With ticket day fast approaching i find myself in a position of having to decide if my body can cope with Glastonbury next year.

I know that there are many here in there 60's and beyond who still attend, but now i have reached my late 50si have definitely struggled over the last two years. 2016 I can blame on the weather, but by Friday night last year i was knackered.

Don't get me wrong i still enjoyed it and explored many of the quieter areas than ever before, but from someone who has always enjoyed the more lively parts of a crowd when watching a band, sitting on a wall near the Rabbit Hole to watch the Flaming Lips was a very different experience. I rallied a bit on Saturday, but a Dead Kennedys/Toots &The Maytals double header virtually killed off Sunday for me, in fact i sacked off all the headliners and relaxed in a virtually deserted stone circle instead.

I am a couple of stone over weight, but until last year when i had what i thought was a minor skiing injury to my knees i was pretty fit and active. The 'minor injury' has unfortunately become a bit more major over the subsequent 18 months and i was told this week that i needed a full knee replacement, although as i a still pretty mobile they do not want to do it until my condition becomes worse. This means that by the time Glastonbury comes around next year i will probably still be in recovery from receiving my shiny new knee or still waiting for one.

I guess that i'm asking how do others who are not as fit as the once were cope with the beast that is Glastonbury?

Just change how you do the festival , not the festival. Get a tipi...

hot showers , quiet areas, or get a caravan. again being able to get sleep and not rush around and being clean makes all the difference

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, shuttlep said:

Just change how you do the festival , not the festival

I think that's it. 

I was feeling a bit demoralised  yesterday, my legs were aching more than normal and It had just sunk in that my knees were not going to get better and needed replacing and not repairing, and whether or not i had a new one by then it would have an affect on how i dealt with the festival.

Friends who i have been to other festivals with do not want to go to Glastonbury so i normally go by myself which has many upsides, but it does mean that i tend to be always 'moving on to something else' during the day and probably do not sit down and relax as much as i do when at other festivals with a mate or 2

Going solo i have always arrived by coach with a small pop up tent which up until now has been fine,  but yesterday i was thinking that there is no way that i could even get into my tent apart from diving headlong into it, and then how would i get out!

Probably the most enjoyable aspects of the festival to me is the fact that for one week i live in an alternative city of over 100,000 like minded people, where the rules and restrictions that i encounter for most of the year are lifted and instead of a breakdown of society everyone pulls together with enormous positivity, love and respect for others.

In my mind (rightly or wrongly) i have always thought moving to a boutique camping option would lessen that feeling and i would be surrounded by the same type of people and attitudes that i wanted to escape from.

Campervan/caravan had not really entered my mind, but this could well be the way forward.

11 hours ago, Madyaker said:

think the question you need to keep in your head is "would I be happier staying at home?" Based on what you posted it doesn't sound to me like you would be

This is very true as well- My head definitely wants to experience a few more Glastonburys, i just need to work out the best way to get the additional comfort without losing the aspects of the festival which i love.

Thanks everyone

5 minutes ago, tjamest said:

I think that's it. 

I was feeling a bit demoralised  yesterday, my legs were aching more than normal and It had just sunk in that my knees were not going to get better and needed replacing and not repairing, and whether or not i had a new one by then it would have an affect on how i dealt with the festival.

Friends who i have been to other festivals with do not want to go to Glastonbury so i normally go by myself which has many upsides, but it does mean that i tend to be always 'moving on to something else' during the day and probably do not sit down and relax as much as i do when at other festivals with a mate or 2

Going solo i have always arrived by coach with a small pop up tent which up until now has been fine,  but yesterday i was thinking that there is no way that i could even get into my tent apart from diving headlong into it, and then how would i get out!

Probably the most enjoyable aspects of the festival to me is the fact that for one week i live in an alternative city of over 100,000 like minded people, where the rules and restrictions that i encounter for most of the year are lifted and instead of a breakdown of society everyone pulls together with enormous positivity, love and respect for others.

In my mind (rightly or wrongly) i have always thought moving to a boutique camping option would lessen that feeling and i would be surrounded by the same type of people and attitudes that i wanted to escape from.

Campervan/caravan had not really entered my mind, but this could well be the way forward.

at boom town this year I stayed in a pre pitched Bell tent showers and nice area. it was nice to get sleep to have a shower to eat in the cafe. but still be surrounded by like minded people. mostly a little older who wanted to have a good time but also wanted space. If i was you a caravan or something like that would be ideal,. everyone there is still wanting a good time without being too mental. 

14 hours ago, Little Andy said:

I'm glad this topic has come up! My first Glastonbury was 2014. I'd just come back from a few months backpacking, and I walked miles in the site with no problems. All the Glastonburys since then have been very painful, be it my back, or my feet, or just complete exhaustion. Maybe I push it too hard for someone who has a job sitting on his arse all day! I always leave having had a brilliant time, but feeling like it was a massive struggle, and maybe I was doing it wrong

I think a lot of us are in the same boat. As you say we sit on our arse all day and then expect to do so much without any consequences 

2 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

at boom town this year I stayed in a pre pitched Bell tent showers and nice area. it was nice to get sleep to have a shower to eat in the cafe. but still be surrounded by like minded people. mostly a little older who wanted to have a good time but also wanted space. If i was you a caravan or something like that would be ideal,. everyone there is still wanting a good time without being too mental. 

That's the bit i want and was worried i would lose if i went 'up market'

a few tips tips which help me cope...

1. gel insoles for shoes.
2. different shoes each day, as they put pressure in slightly different places.
3. nurofen - best taken from before you're in pain, because they stop muscles, etc, inflaming which causes the pain.

But having just done a small fest which nearly killed me, I'm also going to have to add-in some training, both for my legs & feet with walking, and with sit-ups/press-ups for a stronger back.