When to call it a day?

tjamest

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm also going to have to add-in some training, both for my legs & feet with walking, and with sit-ups/press-ups for a stronger back.

Cheers Neil - god i'd forgotten the dreaded lower back pain.

Surely 'One Love' didn't break you?

Bring as little with you as possible and bring more money and buy as much as possible there. 

Even at EOTR last week I saw people with ungodly amounts of stuff. Booze, stoves, cooler bags, camping tables, huge amounts of food and clothes, flasks, gas, pots and pans, cutlery, stereos and some witless imbecile even brought a fucking guitar. Saw some people make 3 or 4 trips to the car.

Bring a tent, camp in a quiet spot and pack a few tshirts, something to wear at night/when its cold and a bit of booze. 

35 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Bring as little with you as possible and bring more money and buy as much as possible there. 

Even at EOTR last week I saw people with ungodly amounts of stuff. Booze, stoves, cooler bags, camping tables, huge amounts of food and clothes, flasks, gas, pots and pans, cutlery, stereos and some witless imbecile even brought a fucking guitar. Saw some people make 3 or 4 trips to the car.

Bring a tent, camp in a quiet spot and pack a few tshirts, something to wear at night/when its cold and a bit of booze. 

Saw a few guitars at Beautiful Days.  Unless you're actively busking to try and get noticed or getting onto one of the open mic type sets there can be no explanation other than trying to pull by looking all deep and artistic and full of feels.

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

Saw a few guitars at Beautiful Days.  Unless you're actively busking to try and get noticed or getting onto one of the open mic type sets there can be no explanation other than trying to pull by looking all deep and artistic and full of feels.

Aye, people with guitars in campsites can get in the fucking sea!

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Aye, people with guitars in campsites can get in the fucking sea!

:lol:

Trying to go to sleep, and what I really need is a shit version of something I heard the actual band in question play earlier that day, only this time performed by someone on so much ket they might as well have bananas for fingers. Or another fucking attempt at Wonderwall / Blowin' in the Wind / Everybody Hurts. Twatwaffles.

The only other acceptable amateur guitar noodling is something like the Big Easy Jam in the Park, but they provide instruments for you.

11 minutes ago, Quark said:

"Today is gonna be the day that they're gonna thr......."

FclcJ46.gif

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I do this. I treat Glastonbury as a holiday and save in advance so I don't have to worry about money when I'm there.

Indeed. Never really understand people killing themselves with baggage just to save a few quid. Literally a few quid. I like a mosey about anyway. Different foods and booze etc. Maybe buy an ethnic poncho.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I missed last year, due to the birth of my first child, and if things go to plan, i'll probably be missing next year, as number 2 will be about to drop. I'd like to do 2020, with it being the 50th anniversary, but for the first time in ages, i'm really not that fussed with missing Glastonbury. Of course, when the weekend comes around, i'll be missing it, as all the world and his wife will be banging on about how great it is, but for the first time, i don't have that "i have to go to Glastonbury" feeling.

I think part of the reason for feeling this way is due to the fact it just seems like such a huge commitment to do Glastonbury. To get a decent pitch,  with all your friends, you have to get there at an ungodly hour on the Wednesday, and then you're fully committed for the full 5 days. Plus, with the recover time after the festival, it just seems like a huge commitment for a festival. I've had a good innings (12 festivals and counting), so perhaps it is time for a break.

The good thing, is if this feeling remains, at least you'll all have someone to run the secret glasto twitter account on a semi permanent basis :D

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

"Today is gonna be the day that they're gonna thr......."

FclcJ46.gif

Indeed. Never really understand people killing themselves with baggage just to save a few quid. Literally a few quid. I like a mosey about anyway. Different foods and booze etc. Maybe buy an ethnic poncho.

We used to bring a camping stove and sausages, bacon, eggs - the whole works. It wasn’t even to save a few quid, it was initially because we loved the whole camp cooking thing. It took us a few years to realise that not only were we adding loads of weight to the trek in, we were spending half the day on our hands and knees cooking and washing up! 

One day we just realised that this had long ago stopped being ‘fun’!

I am finding this thread comforting. I felt quite blasphemous admitting that I’d reached the point that we had to find a way to make it easier or stop!

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

But having just done a small fest which nearly killed me, I'm also going to have to add-in some training, both for my legs & feet with walking, and with sit-ups/press-ups for a stronger back.

3 hours ago, tjamest said:

Cheers Neil - god i'd forgotten the dreaded lower back pain.

I'm sure Dr Ben will correct me (for a fee :P) but with lower back you'll also want to focus some additional work on the posterior chain and core.  Pressups will give a certain amount of core strength to keep your torso rigid, but situps/crunches will be focusing on the front.

A suggestion (not a recommendation, I'm no professional!) would be deadlifts and good mornings to strengthen the lower back, glutes and hamstrings.  Doesn't have to be heavy at all (people always seem to go straight to powerlifting when you mention deadlifts!) but will help to activate it a bit more.

Try to focus on keeping your transverse (the inner muscle that you use to suck your gut in) in while you're doing them, and during the day as well, especially if you're at a desk. You'll find it will naturally start sitting you up straighter, and as it gets stronger it'll act like a built-in weights belt to keep you stabilised. Personally I find that planks can make lower back worse if mine's giving me gyp, but it's a bit of personal preference there.

21 hours ago, Yokel Again said:

Probably not exactly what you are after, but my thoughts.............

The place is amazing, but let's face it, it's not exactly easy is it? I would say go and find something else you will enjoy almost as much, who knows, you might find something you enjoy more. Loads of great small festivals, or something else entirely.

Good luck!

My thoughts exactly. Most of the threads here from the elderly? and I'm saying this as a 56 year old, keep referring to the whole thing as  a bit of an endurance test. I took up half marathons for that. I've just returned from my 3rd End of the Road festival. 15 minutes max back to the car if you have to, 4 stages max 10 mins between any 2. A comedy tent and film tent like most others these days. Don't quit folks, just scale back a little. 

23 minutes ago, robertjohnmalkin said:

My thoughts exactly. Most of the threads here from the elderly? and I'm saying this as a 56 year old, keep referring to the whole thing as  a bit of an endurance test. I took up half marathons for that. I've just returned from my 3rd End of the Road festival. 15 minutes max back to the car if you have to, 4 stages max 10 mins between any 2. A comedy tent and film tent like most others these days. Don't quit folks, just scale back a little. 

Love End of the Road. 

Yeah, for me, that’s what’s brought it to a head. EOTR is so much easier, especially with the weather like it was this year. It’s really focused me on thinking about how much I’m ready to do another Glastonbury and how the two compare

55 minutes ago, robertjohnmalkin said:

Not done End of the Road, but have been to Larmer Tree on the same site a few times and yes a much more compact and easier experience. Only 45 minutes from my house as well.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Pressups will give a certain amount of core strength to keep your torso rigid, but situps/crunches will be focusing on the front.

but a better front means less strain on the back. :P

I've been crap at training for glasto in the past, but nearly every year I've done a few weeks of (nothing over the top) sit-ups/press-ups beforehand, and it's made a world of different to me who does little exercise and spends all day at a desk.

It might not be the most effective, but it's easy and it works. :)

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

but a better front means less strain on the back. :P

I've been crap at training for glasto in the past, but nearly every year I've done a few weeks of (nothing over the top) sit-ups/press-ups beforehand, and it's made a world of different to me who does little exercise and spends all day at a desk.

It might not be the most effective, but it's easy and it works. :)

It does, but in general (and I stress the general part!) if you're over strengthened in one place it can cause problems on the other side.  But yep, whatever works for you mate. Maybe just something to consider?  It's your back that's doing a load of the work when you're on your feet after all :)

Mine came to a bit of a head earlier this year, was in the gym and just lost all the strength in my right arm.  Years of punishment from rugby and a desk job finally ended up with all the alignments collapsing like a row of dominoes!  Rehabbing just enough to get back on the pitch without actually fixing it properly.  Took months to get it back on track! :lol: