Jump to content
qrdk

2019 Predictions

Recommended Posts

I'm still holding out some vague hope of Furman putting in a personal appearance for some sort of album launch thing, but I can't see that he'll bring the band all the way across for a single gig. (And the new album will probably need the band.)

I'm going to guess it's someone else who will have played Electric Picnic earlier in the weekend (a guessing game not made any easier by them not even having released day splits yet, as far as I can see). So - Roisin Murphy? Shura? Yonaka? Echo and the Bunnymen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Yoss said:

I'm still holding out some vague hope of Furman putting in a personal appearance for some sort of album launch thing, but I can't see that he'll bring the band all the way across for a single gig. (And the new album will probably need the band.)

I'm going to guess it's someone else who will have played Electric Picnic earlier in the weekend (a guessing game not made any easier by them not even having released day splits yet, as far as I can see). So - Roisin Murphy? Shura? Yonaka? Echo and the Bunnymen?

Aiming higher here along those lines : Christine and the Queens? Richard Ashcroft? or (in my dreams) The Strokes?

Edited by Born in the fifties

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sean1234321 said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned Idles for the surprise show...they are playing in Bristol on the saturday and have nothing planned after that date until October.

My suggestion was going to be Public Service Broadcasting as they have played EOTR before and they are playing Moseley on the Friday but Idles being so close by in the Saturday makes them more likely 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bobbyperu said:

My suggestion was going to be Public Service Broadcasting as they have played EOTR before and they are playing Moseley on the Friday but Idles being so close by in the Saturday makes them more likely 

PSB are saying Moseley is their last festival of the summer, which they wouldn't make a big thing of if they were playing a surprise set after. Idles I can see, but why put them in the same tent at exactly the same time as they filled last year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt it will actually be Idles for the record....firstly why would they want to hide booking one of the UK's biggest bands at the moment, and secondly the surprise act has obviously been booked for months as there has been less sunday big top bands ever since they released the day splits.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possibly Little Simz? She was the Woods Stage Friday sub-headliner on the version of the line-up poster that was released by Loud and Quiet before it was swiftly taken down and Baxter Dury was shifted up. I think most who saw the removed poster assumed that the booking had fallen through at the last minute for some reason, but maybe Simon just changed his mind and decided to stick her in the Big Top as a secret set instead?

Edited by ljsawyer
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Snapped Ankles are a strong possibility as well, as they were a fan favourite last year and are playing Manchester Psych Fest next Friday. They're also a very fitting band for a 'secret' set what with all the mystique surrounding them and their image.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorta wonder if a secret Big Top slot is too small for both Idles and Public Service Broadcasting these days ... ?

 

God this does my head in ?

 

Ride??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sean1234321 said:

I doubt it will actually be Idles for the record....firstly why would they want to hide booking one of the UK's biggest bands at the moment, and secondly the surprise act has obviously been booked for months as there has been less sunday big top bands ever since they released the day splits.

I doubt it would be too but answering your questions EotR would know how ticket sales were going and as usual sold out well in advance so no need for a boost by announcing Idles but would get more publicity from the secret set.

 

One thing to do is check out the Rough Trade shop and see what band's album or albums are prominently featured who are not on the list. When it was Wild Beasts there was a rumour before the festival it would be them, on the Thursday saw the new album being diplayed in a prominent position. All the other albums so displayed were of bands playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Festimadmum said:

How about Whitney? At Greenman he said that there and EOTR were his favourite festivals in the UK. No shows until later in September on his schedule..

Good call that, played  few years ago and the album is out on Friday. Depends if they're still this side of the pond, though. Can't see them hanging around just for this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Delighted that Martha/Happyness overlap has been avoided, Murder Capital after Fontaines could be a challenge but if the queue outside the Tipi is too big might switch to BC Camplight and a good spot for Jarvis later.

Not sure about the secret Big Top set, most suggestions seem plausible with Bat for Lashes and Snapped Ankles the most likely.  I’ll throw in The Big Moon as well now that Jules is engaged to one of the Posties.

Keep the suggestions coming - rumours and speculation about the surprise sets is part of the magic of EOTR!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which was the year when we got the full timetable leaked, with secret sets, piano stage and everything? 2013? 2014? What a boon that was. Hard work to stay up for the late night Tipi sets when a) you're as old as me and b) you don't know who it's going to be. Always a gamble.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Which was the year when we got the full timetable leaked, with secret sets, piano stage and everything? 2013? 2014? What a boon that was. Hard work to stay up for the late night Tipi sets when a) you're as old as me and b) you don't know who it's going to be. Always a gamble.

2013. It was my first year and I didn't realise it was a one-off and it came as a shock the following year to find we weren't privvy to all of it. Not sure I've ever got over the disappointment.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Yoss said:

 Not sure I've ever got over the disappointment.

Me too, the feeling of omnipotence and the respect I got from all of you in the group for being the bearer of that information. Been a (steep) downward slope ever since.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ljsawyer said:

Possibly Little Simz? She was the Woods Stage Friday sub-headliner on the version of the line-up poster that was released by Loud and Quiet before it was swiftly taken down and Baxter Dury was shifted up. I think most who saw the removed poster assumed that the booking had fallen through at the last minute for some reason, but maybe Simon just changed his mind and decided to stick her in the Big Top as a secret set instead?

I would be even more excited to see Little Simz than Idles again; one of the my favourite albums of the year.

If not how about Loyle Carner? He is also playing the Downs the day before and is about the right size?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RedRockRick said:

Now all that’s needed is the return of the WhatsApp group.

Are you going to set one up?

It was one of the best things about the festival last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, tjrant said:

I would be even more excited to see Little Simz than Idles again; one of the my favourite albums of the year.

If not how about Loyle Carner? He is also playing the Downs the day before and is about the right size?

I'd be with you with Little Simz; she was wonderful on the Park Stage. Also I'm still broken from Idles in the Far Out tent; that completely finished me off. Had plans for Deptford Northern Soul but went back to my tent instead.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tjrant said:

I would be even more excited to see Little Simz than Idles again; one of the my favourite albums of the year.

If not how about Loyle Carner? He is also playing the Downs the day before and is about the right size?

Loyle Carner's way too big to sub-headline Big Top. Sub-headlined the main stage at Latitude!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

Parquet Courts on the Garden is gonna be great isnt it. Potential to be best set of the weekend.

Every day for the past couple of months I've wet myself at the recollection that I'll soon get to see Mitski and Parquet Courts back to back on my favourite stage in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...