Jump to content

2019 Predictions


Recommended Posts

I feel like Courtney Barnet is bigger than Beruit now anyway. Yes, Beruit were bigger in their prime, but I reckon more people get excited over a new Courtney album than a new Beruit one presently. 

Edited by Chawk
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can I just add my usual appreciation for TeamCampesinos who is always sooo quick off the mark with the clashfinder. Brilliant work, thanks.

While the line up is good, being in a confined space at sea for many days with nothing but B&S fans is my idea of hell

Think it's fair to say, us EOTR veterans REALLY want that secret set to be Brakes.

Posted Images

11 hours ago, benali said:

It was announced on the day, just a few hours before. There was some thought it was going to be SFA because there were a few animal based teaser tweets sent out. 

It was announced before the festival there was to be a secret set in the Big Top, Wild Beasts were one of the rumours and this was made obvious to me on Thursday having a nose around the Rough Trade Shop where their new album was prominently placed!

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 hours ago, teamcampesinos! said:

 

You could also make a similar argument about 2012. Both Grizzly Bear and Granddaddy have since played sub-slots at Green Man, while Beach House are a similarly Troxy-level band. 

 

The thing about Grandaddy was that in 2012, it was their first gig in the UK for years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

While trying to come to terms with not going this year, thought I'd give a recommendation to check out Lewsberg.

 

Very much dependant on if you are into that dry delivery Jonathan Richman, Herman Dune, bits of VU thing. If that sounds your bag, they could be your new favourites.

The person asking about Wire-last few times I've seen them they create such a great angry noise that the setlist is almost irrelevant. I'd argue they are one of the most underrated live bands around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

While trying to come to terms with not going this year, thought I'd give a recommendation to check out Lewsberg.

 

Very much dependant on if you are into that dry delivery Jonathan Richman, Herman Dune, bits of VU thing. If that sounds your bag, they could be your new favourites.

The person asking about Wire-last few times I've seen them they create such a great angry noise that the setlist is almost irrelevant. I'd argue they are one of the most underrated live bands around.

Good to hear on both fronts. Liking Lewsberg. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

While trying to come to terms with not going this year, thought I'd give a recommendation to check out Lewsberg.

 

Very much dependant on if you are into that dry delivery Jonathan Richman, Herman Dune, bits of VU thing. If that sounds your bag, they could be your new favourites.

The person asking about Wire-last few times I've seen them they create such a great angry noise that the setlist is almost irrelevant. I'd argue they are one of the most underrated live bands around.

Possibly you like some noise.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the problem for promoters this year has been a limited supply of headliners. The teens era headliners - FJM, John Grant, Animal Collective, Vampire Weekend  etc have probably peeked or have played these sort of festivals recently or aren't touring. There's been no triumphant return of a 90's band like Slowdive, Ride, Grnadaddy, NMH. And no-one is clamouring for a 00's landfill indie revival. 

It's weird really, because lower down the bills and in the tents. There's lots of really exciting bands - Pip Blom, Penelope Isles, Black Midi, Fountains DC etc. But they're all on their debut albums and haven't the following. Idles will probably headline somewhere next year, and others will follow but until then ...

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's worked out nicely for me - no interest in Tempest but it solves the Barnett / Kikagaku Moyo clash. Bummer for those wanting to see Barnett and Low, though.

On the wider discussion - I don't think anyone would dispute that last year's headliners were stronger. But that says more about how strong they were last year, that was the exception rather than this one. Even without the short notice problem it seems to have been a tough year for festivals finding headliners, most obviously Green Man as others have noted.

And I don't care, the bill is still stacked. Nor do I care if they're saving any money out of it - though it's far from obvious to me that would be the case anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Declan said:

I think the problem for promoters this year has been a limited supply of headliners. The teens era headliners - FJM, John Grant, Animal Collective, Vampire Weekend  etc have probably peeked or have played these sort of festivals recently or aren't touring. There's been no triumphant return of a 90's band like Slowdive, Ride, Grnadaddy, NMH. And no-one is clamouring for a 00's landfill indie revival. 

It's weird really, because lower down the bills and in the tents. There's lots of really exciting bands - Pip Blom, Penelope Isles, Black Midi, Fountains DC etc. But they're all on their debut albums and haven't the following. Idles will probably headline somewhere next year, and others will follow but until then ...

Are Pip Blom and Penelope Isles playing?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Stage times were released on 9th August last year...that was unusually early though, but I'd love if that was the new norm and we got them this week. 

There's just a couple of last bands I've been holding back on listening to until I know I'll definitely be able to catch them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I just add (and agree with others) is there a better stage on the festival circuit than the Garden Stage? I bloody love it... gentle slope, room to go where ever, easy access toilets, real ale or snazzy drinks (or coffee) and the most beautiful setting.

 

No tickets for me yet, but time all booked off and I'm playing Chicken with Twickets - plenty of time yet ?

p.s. Metronomy are pretty massive in certain circles. Roundhouse gig sold out v.quick. Park set at the big G was mobbed... Anyway, it's not about the headliners, it's about the whole package - people, food, drink, setting. ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, RobEggleshaw said:

Could it be a bit of the "B"word imapcting on headline artists? Certainly, we were meant to be operating under new rules by now and I've read several articles identifying issues with booking artists from overseas...

I made that suggestion earlier. I'm not sure how much of a direct impact it would have on artists availability, but I guess uncertainty around other costs may have reduced the budget for more overseas acts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, RobEggleshaw said:

Could it be a bit of the "B"word imapcting on headline artists? Certainly, we were meant to be operating under new rules by now and I've read several articles identifying issues with booking artists from overseas...

nah. It doesn't look like there'll be much difference for Euro artists, and for everyone else nothing has changed with immigration rules.

Much more likely is the crashing pound. - due to brexit, but that doesn't seem to be the bit of brexit you were thinking about.

Edited by eFestivals
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, RobEggleshaw said:

Can I just add (and agree with others) is there a better stage on the festival circuit than the Garden Stage? I bloody love it... gentle slope, room to go where ever, easy access toilets, real ale or snazzy drinks (or coffee) and the most beautiful setting.

 

The Walled Garden at Green Man is compareable I'd say

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

nah. It doesn't look like there'll be much difference for Euro artists, and for everyone else nothing has changed with immigration rules.

Much more likely is the crashing pound. - due to brexit, but that doesn't seem to be the bit of brexit you were thinking about.

Thought Womad were having problems earlier in the year with visas?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

nah. It doesn't look like there'll be much difference for Euro artists, and for everyone else nothing has changed with immigration rules.

Much more likely is the crashing pound. - due to brexit, but that doesn't seem to be the bit of brexit you were thinking about.

I've read about artists not wanting to be paid in pounds, because its so unpredictable right now. I'd imagine that makes budgeting a festival pretty challenging. I have absolutely no idea what these acts would be paid, but plucking a number from the air, a $100k fee (again, I truly have absolutely zero idea what a headline fee might be...! just going with a round number, assume it's probably half or even a quarter of that!) is something like £5–8k more expensive this year than it was last.

Visas have been problematic in the US for Arab artists, less so here, I believe. 

Edit to say: conscious this all a terrible amount of pointless conjecture! especially given the headliners booked last year were all North America-based and 'big' and we were still in the throes of the interminable Brexit-car crash then, too. Though contracting could've potentially happened when the economy was looking rosier, meaning not only a weak pound, but a shortfall to account for this year. There must be infinite economic considerations that go into bookings, and it's more likely touring schedules, perhaps? 

Edited by rararachel
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 6:12 PM, SweepingTheNation said:

Now the headliner business is out of the way and while we wait for stage times, let's have a prediction game - five artists who you think will play piano sets, five who will play secret Tipi sets.

Tipi - Squid, The Beths, TVAM, Lewsberg, Viagra Boys

Piano - Cate Le Bon, Jessica Pratt, William Tyler, Cass Mccombs, Let's eat Grandma

Edited by Guy Incognito
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...