2019 Predictions

qrdk

Playing third in the tent at Green Man so i can't see him stepping up to mainstage at EOTR. 

Although that would resolve the pain of the clash between him and Fat White Family. (It's strange that Green Man have these two reliable crowd pleasing acts clashing then snotty, arrogant, contemptuous Yo Le Tengo headlining the main stage.) 

2 hours ago, Declan said:

Playing third in the tent at Green Man so i can't see him stepping up to mainstage at EOTR. 

Although that would resolve the pain of the clash between him and Fat White Family. (It's strange that Green Man have these two reliable crowd pleasing acts clashing then snotty, arrogant, contemptuous Yo Le Tengo headlining the main stage.) 

in what world are Yo La Tengo "snotty, arrogant, contemptuous"...? judging by their hilarious "freewheeling" show at EOTR a few years ago they're the total opposite. completely lovely group of people

Fat White Family are the definition of contemptuous - the most obnoxious, offensive band complete with the edginess of a 14 year old (it's pretty damn cool naming your record label Without Consent, init, and what about 'Champagne Holocaust')

• Upvote 1

Most people were disgusted at Yo Le Tengo's performance on the Thursday at EOTR last year and left to try to get into the Tipi. They barely acknowledged the crowd, there's no joy or humour or humility about them. And this was not a one off, a few years before they played a self indulgent covers set on the little stage at the side of the garden that was basically just for themselves and their mates. 

It's not just at EOTR - they were rubbish at Primavera and graceless and bloated when I saw them at KOKO. I used to like them, had lots of their lps until I saw them live, and realised they couldn't care less.  

FWF obnoxiousness is an act. They've always entertaining the many times I've seen them  (who can forget the hilarious fake riot in the Tipi), plus exciting varied world of spin off bands they have around them. 

35 minutes ago, Declan said:

Most people were disgusted at Yo Le Tengo's performance on the Thursday at EOTR last year and left to try to get into the Tipi. They barely acknowledged the crowd, there's no joy or humour or humility about them. And this was not a one off, a few years before they played a self indulgent covers set on the little stage at the side of the garden that was basically just for themselves and their mates. 

It's not just at EOTR - they were rubbish at Primavera and graceless and bloated when I saw them at KOKO. I used to like them, had lots of their lps until I saw them live, and realised they couldn't care less.  

FWF obnoxiousness is an act. They've always entertaining the many times I've seen them  (who can forget the hilarious fake riot in the Tipi), plus exciting varied world of spin off bands they have around them. 

I don't care if the obnoxiousness is "real" or not, it's still obnoxious ?

47 minutes ago, Declan said:

This sounds fucking excellent.

The garden stage set wasn't at all "self indulgent" and it was received brilliantly by the crowd... They're a band with huge amounts of humility and humour. Not sure what planet you're from.

FWF are revolting - act or no act, they're poser edgelord middle-class kids who have in the past written Jimmy Savile's name on their chests, have an album called Champagne Holocaust with a pig and its dick on the cover, started a record label called Without Consent, openly use the n-word online and shit on other bands relentlessly. Utterly vile band with dogshit music which has inspired a generation of even more bullshit.

2 hours ago, WM Hall said:

in what world are Yo La Tengo "snotty, arrogant, contemptuous"...? judging by their hilarious "freewheeling" show at EOTR a few years ago they're the total opposite. completely lovely group of people

Fat White Family are the definition of contemptuous - the most obnoxious, offensive band complete with the edginess of a 14 year old (it's pretty damn cool naming your record label Without Consent, init, and what about 'Champagne Holocaust')

I’m with you! YLT can come back every year.

I love YLT on record, they’ve made some of my favourite music, but they just don’t do it for me live, especially not on the Thurs at EOTR. Much like Low, they’re a band that are intensely personal, and I need a certain degree of immersion in their sound, which I just don’t get at a festival, even one as placid and with as attentive a crowd as we get at EOTR.

13 minutes ago, Ira said:

I wish yo la tengo would replace beirut. Best band on the planet. I really can't see how can someone describe them as disgusting! 

Because of their attitude. 

They had a good spot last year and couldn't care less. 

It's rather a pity this year that Idles, Fontaines DC etc haven't reached headline status yet so that festivals are having to book declining Americans like Yo Le Tengo, Broken Social Scene, Beirut near the top end of the bills. 

4 minutes ago, Tuna said:

old man wants shouty music because Yo La Tengo are too introspective and don't have crowd banter for him

Not because of YLT, because shouty music is fun when done well. Just like introspective music can be Low, for example, are great live.

14 minutes ago, Declan said:

Not because of YLT, because shouty music is fun when done well. Just like introspective music can be Low, for example, are great live.

Okay, so it makes no sense for you to you lump them in with other "declining Americans" then. Your ire with them seemingly stems from the fact they didn't shout "GLASTONBURY!!!!" from the stage, which you can't handle for some reason.

That would be hideous - none of the bands I've listed have done anything like that. 

My dislike for Yo Le Tengo was that they stomped around stage, bored, unconcerned about whether the music they made was good or bad, and consequently the music was bland and unexciting. 

10 minutes ago, Declan said:

That would be hideous - none of the bands I've listed have done anything like that. 

My dislike for Yo Le Tengo was that they stomped around stage, bored, unconcerned about whether the music they made was good or bad, and consequently the music was bland and unexciting. 

Sounds a lot like Beirut, to be fair. :rolleyes:

YLT don't do anything much for me, but nothing I've seen of them or heard of or from them justifies any suggestion of lack of integrity in what they're doing or lack of sincerity towards their audience. And I wish more bands would indulge themselves with pop-up covers sets - Ezra Furman's Thursday set in the Tipi in 2016 is up there with my favourite EotR memories.

FWF I've always found moderately entertaining. I can understand why people feel otherwise, but even if their provocativeness is an act there's still a place for it - witness the stooshie in the right-wing press prior to Glastonbury this year.

• Like 1