2019 Predictions

qrdk

What a wonderful festival EOTR is. My first trip back since 2007, & I took my 8 1/2 year old daughter this time - we love the place & also went to Larmer Tree Fest last year.

It was my first year of seeing the Woods Stage - a great setting & the topography helps with viewing but you cannot beat the Garden Stage, one of my favourite stages on the festival circuit! Get past the chairs and down the front and the atmosphere is magical!

As I had a young one our forays to the front of any stages were limited, but we got down there for some of the earlier acts. Over the weekend her favourites were Bodega, Courtney Barnett & Metronomy - my favourites were Deerhunter and BC Camplight - managed to catch half of each of their sets - along with Stella Donnelly, BCUC, Cate le Bon & Sam Evian (despite the sound problems!)

I had to sacrifice a few things - Friday night we arrived at Parquet Courts as they were playing Freebird II & it looked utterly amazing down the front - however we were at the back where the atmosphere was not so great so we moved on after a few tracks - would have loved to been in the mix! Also listened to the Sleaford Mods & Beak sets from the comfort of my tent & again would have loved to be in the Big Top for those! 

I will be back - what I really loved was observing like-minded people do what I do at festivals - head down and powering through to catch that next act - EOTR seems the natural environment for people like me to immerse yourself in music for 3 days, however on a completely different scale to Glasto, which seems to be my yardstick these last few years.

Can’t wait to return! 

ps - is the temperature like that every year? I seemed to be the only one feeling the cold in the evenings! Frickin freezing! 

8 hours ago, mario man said:

ps - is the temperature like that every year? I seemed to be the only one feeling the cold in the evenings! Frickin freezing! 

It can be even colder than that (most will remember the Sufjan Stevens year) but, yes, EOTR is cold at nights.  It's what you get with an exposed site on high ground at the end of summer, and then more so if clear skies.  Just about the only downside of the festival.

23 hours ago, The Nal said:

The Sunday night this year was ball shiveringly cold. 

We go in our caravan these days, when we got back to it about 1am on the Sunay night/Mondaay morning it was as you say ball-shivering, I know it's not helping matters but I put our gas fire on max, went to sleep cosy but woke up sweating buckets at 6am!  

Bit late this year but here goes...controversially this year I came home without the warm, fuzzy EOTR glow. Don’t know why, can’t put my finger on the reason. Enjoyed lots of stuff...Israel’s Nash, Moses Boyd, Nerijah, Flamingods,  Fontaine’s DC, Michael Kiwanuka, Seazoo, Baxter Dury. The breakfast bus was excellent as usual, as was the dish kitchen and the croquet field ( still my favourite place to listen to the garden stage bands for the day). I get the chair arguments, but it is the only way my Brother in law can enjoy the festival. We always put the chair at the back of the woods stage and to the side, trying to keep out of peoples way, but you can’t please everyone.

The ale was excellent, especially the Downton selections. 

Didn’t get Kate Tempest..sorry.

so, no one thing I disliked, but maybe I need to slip a different festival in next year to remind me why EOTR is so good. Looking at Black Deer in Kent currently... but will still be at Larmer Tree next September..

toodle pip.

2 hours ago, gigs said:

so, no one thing I disliked, but maybe I need to slip a different festival in next year to remind me why EOTR is so good. Looking at Black Deer in Kent currently... but will still be at Larmer Tree next September..

toodle pip.

Did Black Deer this year: it was easy to do, sufficient decent acts, expect to build on this for next year, so I bought early birds. Did feel a little threadbare and limited compared to EOTR, but hey, it's new on the block.