2019 Predictions

qrdk

5 hours ago, Declan said:

Didn't mind the cricket although the Dad bowling a bouncer at a 10 year old was a bit OTT. 

The only kids problem I had was that they were a bit too well behaved, I prefer the more rambunctious Green Man kids. 

That's just character building.  

I think much of my frustrations come down to limited space. I have zero issue (and would probably join in) with kids playing cricket or American cricket (rounders) but the site is small (which is great) so limits the amount of room there is for children to burn off some steam. A bigger site, which would also allow for more covered areas and another stage,  would be the perfect solution.  

2 hours ago, Jeel said:

I think much of my frustrations come down to limited space. I have zero issue (and would probably join in) with kids playing cricket or American cricket (rounders) but the site is small (which is great) so limits the amount of room there is for children to burn off some steam. A bigger site, which would also allow for more covered areas and another stage,  would be the perfect solution.  

2 hours ago, Jeel said:

The cricketers were a bloody nuisance, very pleased with themselves, self entitled and unobservant/inconsiderate of anyone else around them

I had an amazing time, got an early bird for next year.

Particular highlights were:

Murder Capital - one of the best live sets I have ever seen.

Low - just sensational

Bodega - what an energetic set, loved it.

Mitski - didn't really know her stuff but went out of interest to catch the start before moving on to Wire and stayed for the whole set.

Sam Evian/Hannah Cohen - caught this piano stage set by accident/luck - absolutely captivating performance, shame it was only 3 songs.

Lowlights:

Few and far between BUT - chairs; WTF is up with people, I'm 67 and can manage to do festivals without a chair other than the one outside my tent.

• Upvote 2

Did anyone else feel the forest / art installations area felt a bit half baked this year ? Didn't seem as many installations, and what was there was for the most part a bit cr*p 

I know its just a small part of the fest but it has certainly been much much better in previous years imo.

I feel that whole disco ship / games area bit could perhaps do with a refresh/rethink. Or maybe as a EOTR regular ..10 years now ... I'm just a bit jaded with it :)

Edited by thespiral

37 minutes ago, thespiral said:

Did anyone else feel the forest / art installations area felt a bit half baked this year ? Didn't seem as many installations, and what was there was for the most part a bit cr*p 

I know its just a small part of the fest but it has certainly been much much better in previous years imo.

I feel that whole disco ship / games area bit could perhaps do with a refresh/rethink. Or maybe as a EOTR regular ..10 years now ... I'm just a bit jaded with it :)

I'd agree with that. It's similar most years  and whilst it's nice if you go every year it can get a bit samey. There seemed less to discover this year. Just mostly the same things in slightly different places. I guess it's a difficult balance to maintain. I do think it could use a refresh though. 

15 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

thanks for that link. it seriously rates two sets (of my three) that I found pretty overwhelming last weekend. and "monumental" is almost exactly the term I hadn't found to put a word to Low's performance.

4 hours ago, Jeel said:

I'd agree with that. It's similar most years  and whilst it's nice if you go every year it can get a bit samey. There seemed less to discover this year. Just mostly the same slightly different places. I guess it's a difficult balance to maintain. I do think it could use a refresh though. 

The shadow play theatre was astonishing if anyone found that!

• Like 1

Had a really great time this year, although it was definitely more low-key than 2018. Low (with one of the best festival sets I've ever seen), Crack Cloud, Kelly Moran, Black Midi and Nerija were all particular highlights. Didn't see anything crap although I didnt think much of Cass Mccombs or Flamingods.

With regards to the Big Top, I think it's fine. Sure it gets very hot in there but imo the closed sides add so much to the atmosphere and light show of many of the acts. Ata Kak, Kelly Moran and Crack Cloud were both amazing in there. I'm sure having closed sides also does a lot to help prevent possible sound bleeding from Woods stage too.

I do agree that the tipi needs a bit of a revamp and it was noticeably busier on the site this year. Hopefully later dates next year will reduce the annoyance of families sitting for seemingly endless picnics at the Garden stage. Food, beer, sound quality, etc were all excellent once again.

Overall it's still the nicest festival around, and the curation is absolutely impeccable. I'll absolutely be there again in 2020 if I can.

On 9/5/2019 at 6:07 PM, carwynnen said:

The shadow play theatre was astonishing if anyone found that!

One of my highlights was meeting two very drunk and jolly nurses (hello if you're reading this) who guided my group over to the silhouette theatre and gave us an amazing/terrible performance about a bear with hair in a wheelchair

11 hours ago, RobEggleshaw said:

Anyone get the Low setlist?

According to Setlist.fm:

1. Fly
I could have sworn they played Especially Me before Nothing But Heart, but maybe I'd just had one too many pints by that stage. Apart from that it looks accurate.
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2019 at 5:16 PM, SmithOperator said:

How do I get onto that for next year?  I heard rumours of a magical WhatsApp group over the weekend.  I want in on that magic.

It was very useful generally but no one called the Hardskin appearance - best kept secret of the weekend ;)

Edited by staffop