2019 Predictions

qrdk

I don't tend to get to too many of the late night sets, mostly because I'm usually a bit exhausted from all the live music by that point and really just want to have a drink and dance with my mates. Have seen a few over the years though and am always open to popping along if it's someone I'm really keen on seeing.

Was pleased a few years back when I'd missed the Ex Hex daytime set and managed to catch them in the Tipi. Also Phosphorescent at the piano stage after dark was very special.

Anybody read this on the Guardian?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/aug/20/all-female-music-festival-lineups-native-loud-women-fest-boudica-hearher

Seems unfair to mention EOTR in my opinion...I know Courtney Barnett is only headlining because an all-male band pulled out, but Metronomy has a prominent female member and I think the festival has been pretty good over the years of featuring women in headlining slots (on both 'main' stages).

22 minutes ago, SighMo said:

I arrived late for that one due to having to dig around in the debris at the front of the Garden Stage to find my shirt after the Oh Sees set. The Snapped Ankles sets at Strummerville and WG were pretty full on too.

Just added another one to my wish-list for late sets; Pottery. Only saw about 4 songs in the Green Man record sales tent but they were ace. Seeing them again at the Joiners tonight. 

Yep saw the last few songs in the Walled Garden and thought it was White Fence because of the assurance they played with I assumed it was a more experienced band.

1 hour ago, Sean1234321 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/aug/20/all-female-music-festival-lineups-native-loud-women-fest-boudica-hearher

Seems unfair to mention EOTR in my opinion...I know Courtney Barnett is only headlining because an all-male band pulled out, but Metronomy has a prominent female member and I think the festival has been pretty good over the years of featuring women in headlining slots (on both 'main' stages).

Yeah that's really bizarre - it's not only about headliners ffs. If anything the headliners are only there to sell tickets.  The rest of the bill is packed with amazing female artists (and of course Metronomy have a prominent female member). I reckon in general at least half the artists are female or are bands with female members. Certainly, a number of my must-sees are: Jockstrap, Kero Kero Bonito, BCNR, Kelly Moran, Let's Eat Grandma, Mitski, Cate Le Bon.....

TBH the Guardian is total trash and is renowned for these poorly-informed opinion pieces. 

1 hour ago, Sean1234321 said:

Plus Green Man - had Yo Le Tengo and Stereolab which feature female members and Sharon Van Ettan was second on the remaining night.

29 minutes ago, WM Hall said:

Yeah that's really bizarre - it's not only about headliners ffs. If anything the headliners are only there to sell tickets.  The rest of the bill is packed with amazing female artists (and of course Metronomy have a prominent female member). I reckon in general at least half the artists are female or are bands with female members. Certainly, a number of my must-sees are: Jockstrap, Kero Kero Bonito, BCNR, Kelly Moran, Let's Eat Grandma, Mitski, Cate Le Bon.....

TBH the Guardian is total trash and is renowned for these poorly-informed opinion pieces. 

As a committed Guardian reader, i support everything it contains, including the ads. As I recollect, last year the Guardian were in fact trumpeting the fact that so many women were featured prominently and championed by EOTR, and EOTR was thus an example to be followed, so I guess you can regard this specific article as simply filling space where a particularly marvellous ad was withdrawn at the last minute..

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, RedRockRick said:

How was Sharon van Etten at GM? I was initially traumatised by her non-appearance on the EOTR bill when she seemed a nailed-on cert, but then was somewhat placated by her rather drab (televised) showing at Glastonbury.

She was phenomenal at Glastonbury in person -- was the TV showing thabad? Hmm..

2 hours ago, RedRockRick said:

As a committed Guardian reader, i support everything it contains, including the ads. As I recollect, last year the Guardian were in fact trumpeting the fact that so many women were featured prominently and championed by EOTR, and EOTR was thus an example to be followed, so I guess you can regard this specific article as simply filling space where a particularly marvellous ad was withdrawn at the last minute..

assuming this is sarcasm and you're referring to that labour peers ad...?

2 hours ago, RedRockRick said:

How was Sharon van Etten at GM? I was initially traumatised by her non-appearance on the EOTR bill when she seemed a nailed-on cert, but then was somewhat placated by her rather drab (televised) showing at Glastonbury.

Incredible — it was her non-appearance on the end of the road line up and missing her Manchester gig sick that made me go for Green Man for the first time and she way way exceeded my expectations. Sometimes it was this total wall of sound, other times delicate, she changed up some tracks in ways that could’ve been horrible (You Shadow was sped up, Jupiter 4 was ... more .. desperate and less gritty, somehow ... but it all worked... from what I’ve read this has been for most of the tour) All my gushing sounds a bit cliche really, but I’ve wanted to see her for years and the whole set was a total knock out for me. Felt like she really LOVED being there too, it seemed genuinely joyous for her and for us all. Though her voice cracked when she introduced I told you everything and spoke about her husband and child back home, even that felt very sincere. 

Must say.. while the garden stage is better than any other I’ve been to, and I think end of the road will always been my favourite, thought the mountain stage at green man was incredibly special, (provided away from the dreaded chatterers) liked it so much more than the Woods. 

Edited by rararachel
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, RobEggleshaw said:

How was the weather/ground for green man? We've nearly gone for years but never made it. Crazy really cos it always looks so good...

Rained most of Friday, similar to the Sunday 2 years ago at EOTR, site was a mud bath for the rest of the day, sun came out Saturday and Sunday and everything dried out nicely

51 minutes ago, RobEggleshaw said:

How was the weather/ground for green man? We've nearly gone for years but never made it. Crazy really cos it always looks so good...

It was ok — Friday ended up incredibly muddy, like that gloopy thick stuff that you really get stuck in, but it was walkable without wellies by mid-afternoon on Saturday.

Having said that, though the rain was persistent on Friday, it was nowhere near as bad as that Sunday at end of the road a few years back (the infamous Perfume Genius/Bill Callahan wash out). More sort of frizzy misty rain than driving. I do wonder how bad it would get with more than a day of proper rain as they didn’t seem to have any hard surfaces. 

Tho.. in general... I loved it, was my first solo festival and it was friendly and fun and so lovely to wander around. There were a lot more children with trollies (didn’t offend me by any means!) and it felt much bigger. Am really looking forward to being back at EOTR next week, maybe it’s nostalgia, but feel like it’s got more “magic”! 

Edited by rararachel
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Muddy Holly said:

Rained most of Friday, similar to the Sunday 2 years ago at EOTR, site was a mud bath for the rest of the day, sun came out Saturday and Sunday and everything dried out nicely

Maybe I’m misremembering that Sunday... It felt much much wetter to me. Maybe the hangover was particularly vicious that day! Still, none of it was enough to take the shine off Perfume Genius and Bill Callahan — couldn’t ask for a more perfect line up than those two! 

4 minutes ago, rararachel said:

Maybe I’m misremembering that Sunday... It felt much much wetter to me. Maybe the hangover was particularly vicious that day! 

You’re not misremembering, the EOTR Sunday was definitely worse and went on for longer, I remember making  4 extremely soggy and depressing trips to the car park that day to pack up for a midnight getaway.  GM Friday was similar, but luckily not quite as bad and finished earlier.  

I don’t pay much attention to long term forecasts, but it’s looking reasonable for EOTR weekend at the moment ?

The 2017 sunday rain was pretty bad yeah. I used an umbrella for the first time at a festival, although not in crowds/when watching bands of course. Been to some very wet festivals but have never had to use a brolly before.

As others have said though, that Perfume Genius/Bill Callahan double bill on the Garden was amazing.

Edited by Guy Incognito

Yeah, was pretty wet that sunday? although, 2016 beautiful days takes some beating, as does the 2008(?the who headliners) glasto which didn't seem to stop sat and sun! Ironically, we had lost our tent the year before in the floods and had joked it couldn't be that bad again. It was worse! Give me homelessness over constant rain!!

Getting quite excited about eotr now, cheers for the band tips as well everyone!

It doesn't actually rain badly very often at EOTR but when it does it really comes down. I have memories of a torrential storm on the Friday of one of the early years that was practically the only rain the whole weekend but left most of the site a muddy mess for the whole weekend. Luckily it very rarely gets that bad underfoot.