2019 Predictions

qrdk

21 minutes ago, shoebox said:

Well, it's subjective isn't it? Opinion seems split 50/50 across social media, so as long as plenty are happy, who are we to complain? Especially when there'll be 3 other stages of music, plus comedy and cinema on at the same time. One act out of 80+ is nothing really

Agree - have seen some great bands as a result of a wander to Tipi and Big Top as didn’t like what was on offer there. Also, sometimes you need some food and to meet your mates etc! 

Still an awesome festival 

15 minutes ago, ljsawyer said:

Can anyone tell me what Wire are like live these days? According to setlist.fm they hardly play anything from their three 'classic' albums and I'm not sure I'd bother if that's the case. It's looking like they'll now clash with Penya so I've got a tough decision to make.

They play Three Girl Rhumba, Two People in a Room, Blessed State and a couple of other early ones but thats about it. A lot of new stuff.

I saw Kate Tempest headline Deer Shed in a deluge a few years back. A very strong set. 

Bumping Courtney up and adding her second on the bill does seem stronger. In fact, EOTR have repeated their habit of having the strongest Woods and Garden headliners on the same day (top 3 on both stages on Saturday) then having two dullards headlining another night.

It's worth remembering though even if the headliners don't float your boat it can be pretty special in the evening floating between the stages, catching a bit of all bands, meandering through the woods looking at the art work, seeing if anything's happening on the piano stage. You'll all be fine.

• Upvote 2

Bizarre that some of you are suggesting that Kate Tempest isn't big enough to play before the headliner even thouhh she is much bigger than Baxter Dury, who is in the same slot the night before. 

Also, the suggestion that Simon didn't care because it has already sold out is absolutely laughable. 

I won't see either of Tempest or Barnett but am actually quite happy that they're on the bill. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

Bizarre that some of you are suggesting that Kate Tempest isn't big enough to play before the headliner even thouhh she is much bigger than Baxter Dury, who is in the same slot the night before. 

Completely reiterate this. It always baffles me on this forum, and other forms of social media, when people conflate 'I don't like them' with 'they're not big enough'. It is an unavoidable shame about Beirut, but if the festival always had Barnett headlining and Tempest on before I doubt anybody would have claimed that is not a strong Saturday night. Also, three cheers for a female-dominated Woods Stage on Saturday night! 

I am also saying this as someone who is not a fan of Tempest whatsoever and very peeved Barnett and Low are now clashing. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Beirut live are hit and miss, being polite, but it does seem like we've come out of this losing out. I get it's incredibly difficult to fill headline slots at late notice but considering what bands get paid and the low bar for headliners I expected better.

We already had by far and away the weakest headliners probably ever. 

27 minutes ago, teamcampesinos! said:

Completely reiterate this. It always baffles me on this forum, and other forms of social media, when people conflate 'I don't like them' with 'they're not big enough'. It is an unavoidable shame about Beirut, but if the festival always had Barnett headlining and Tempest on before I doubt anybody would have claimed that is not a strong Saturday night. Also, three cheers for a female-dominated Woods Stage on Saturday night! 

I am also saying this as someone who is not a fan of Tempest whatsoever and very peeved Barnett and Low are now clashing. 

I reiterate your reiterating .. my feelings exactly.

(Except the part about Tempest... I think she'll surprise people – I'm anticipating something really intense, and probably quite emotional, reckon it'll be something special. The recent album is really knock-out, quite different from earlier ones – I loved Let them eat chaos too,  but the newer one is more introspective, more intimate, more 'melodic' somehow, I genuinely think it'll be a fantastic set. But regardless of taste, she headed up the lineup for the Far Out tent at Green Man a couple of years ago, I feel like she fits perfectly in this slot)

That Barnett / Low clash though, ufft...

Edited by rararachel

Just for perspective, all the headliners since it began as a 5k festival.

Metronomy – Michael Kiwanuka – Courtney Barnett

St Vincent - Vampire Weekend - Feist

Mac DeMarco - Father John Misty - The Jesus and Mary Chain

Animal Collective - Bat for Lashes – Joanna Newsom

Tame Impala – Sufjan Stevens – The War on Drugs

St Vincent – The Flaming Lips – Wild Beasts

David Byrne & St Vincent - Sigor Ros – Belle and Sebastian

Beach House – Grizzly Bear – Grandaddy

Joanna Newsom – Mogwai – Beirut

Modest Mouse – Yo La Tengo – Wilco

Fleet Foxes – Explosions in the Sky – Steve Earle

Conor Oberst – Mercury Rev – Calexico

Yo la Tengo – Super Furry Animals – Lambchop

Ryan Adams- Badly Drawn Boy – British Sea Power

The only year it has been weaker than this year was the first one and I'd say Ryan Adams in 2006 was bigger than any of the 2019 bands now. There is a lot stronger middle nowardays but compared to similar size festivals the top end is weak. Personally, I'm happy to have a bit less for my money as it's non-corporate but those aren't festival headliers.

6 minutes ago, Jeel said:

The only year it has been weaker than this year was the first one and I'd say Ryan Adams in 2006 was bigger than any of the 2019 bands now. There is a lot stronger middle nowardays but compared to similar size festivals the top end is weak. Personally, I'm happy to have a bit less for my money as it's non-corporate but those aren't festival headliers.

Good thing that only an estimated 8% of people in the UK go to festivals for the headliners then isn't it. 

End Of The Road, more than many other festivals, feels a lot like a deep dive into the music taste of the organisers, rather than just a case of them booking who they think is relevant etc. Simon has always been vocal of that and also in his love of Beirut, Metronomy and Michael Kiweanuka. They also fit in with the original ethos/style of the festival, which many complained was starting to get a bit lost. 

Like many others, that trio do nothing for me which is a shame but they can't meet my taste everytime with headliners. For better or worse, they're acts that Simon etc love and so I'm not gonna have a go at them for booking those acts, especially when the rest of the line up and the festival as a whole is so good.

The irony is that many of us who are claiming that that trio is weak were predicting Deerhunter and Courtney Barnett to be headlining the Woods stage prior to the first announcement.

It's not "weaker", it's just not to your taste. If you want to get all statty, according to Songkick and their "popularity" rating. The lower the number, the more popular, apparently:

2019:
MK - 961
CB - 1232 or Beirut 454
Metro - 593

2018:
Feist - 313
St Vincent - 596
Vampire Weekend - 131

2017:
Mac - 525
JAMC - 1209
FJM - 782

So whilst last year was a particularly strong year, this year is comparable to 2017. It is also comparable (possibly even stronger) to this year's Green Man with:

YLT - 941
Four Tet - 939
FJM - 782

There will be leaner years, and I'm possibly stretching a bit here, but could the political uncertainty around Brexit have had a bit of a knock on festival bookings across the board this year? Look at the acts APE booked this year and compare that with last year.

It's all conjecture though, and it really shouldn't matter that 3 acts out of the entire line-up are not to everyone's taste. The festival has still sold out, despite a bill that some are considering to be "poor"

EDIT: this was aimed at Jeel by the way, and is in no way intended to belittle their opinion. Just a different take on things

Edited by shoebox

17 minutes ago, Jeel said:

Again, it seems like you're bending facts on popularity to suit your opinion. Let's look at the 2016 headliners, for instance. I saw Animal Collective play to a half-empty Troxy (3100 capacity), while Bat For Lashes headlined a 2000-capacity venue at Mirrors Festival that some year. Comparatively, Metronomy's last Glastonbury slot was headlining the John Peel Stage only two years ago - a stage upon which Father John Misty, Mac DeMarco and Bat For Lashes have all played slots further down the bill within two years of them headlining the festival. Similarly, Courtney Barnett has now sold out Brixton Academy - with an identical capacity to the Hammersmith Apollo Joanna Newsom played the year she headlined! 

You could also make a similar argument about 2012. Both Grizzly Bear and Granddaddy have since played sub-slots at Green Man, while Beach House are a similarly Troxy-level band. 

Furthermore, none of this means the headliners are bad or weaker necessarily! Just demonstrating the large extent to which it is silly to use commercial clout or popularity as a means to justify headliners that are not to your taste. I am sure nobody would be happy with Noel Gallagher headlining though he is in the market for similarly sized festivals, and is undoubtedly a larger household name. 

If this year's headliners are not to your taste, then fair enough, but I think it is short-sighted to act like this is some particular failure on the part of the festival.

Luckily, the festival is special enough, that I'd imagine I'd enjoy it even if the line-up was not ideal for me. 

Looking at the old headliners is interesting.

Having been to 10 EOTR's it turns out I've watched less than 15% of the main stage headliners (and won't see any this year) which goes to show how unimportant they are to some punters.

Not fussed about seeing Kate Tempest which is alright because it means less potential clashes on an already busy Saturday night.

6 hours ago, rararachel said:

Creates... NIGHTMARE. 

Excited about Kate Tempest, great addition in my books. 

Ah that throws a real spanner in the works, sucks. 

Likelihood of Courtney pulling double duty and doing one of the unnacounced ...? ? 

Actually quite happy if the headliners aren't to my taste (and they ain't this year), and particularly so if the Garden Stage headliners are to my taste (and they are this year), as I'd far rather be watching stuff on the Garden Stage than the Woods Stage.  Not sure there is a better place to watch music than the Garden Stage, and certainly not at the any of the festivals I'm familiar with.

Does anyone think that there might be a gap opening up on Sunday night in the Big Top?

Wild Beasts did a ‘surprise’ bigger set there a couple of years ago?

Also, very pleased Courtney Barnett is now headlining and that Kate Tempest has been added.

I will not see either Metronomy or Michael Kiwanuka if it can be helped.

51 minutes ago, tjrant said:

Does anyone think that there might be a gap opening up on Sunday night in the Big Top?

Wild Beasts did a ‘surprise’ bigger set there a couple of years ago?

That was advertised as a secret set. The only way there'll be a gap on Sunday night in the Big Top is if BEAK> or Fontaines DC pull out, and there's been no suggestion of either (god knows what was going on with the latter pulling some of their festival dates given they played in Montreal on Sunday)

1 hour ago, Jeel said:

No, they played a 'secret' Big Top set which was announced shortly before the festival. In 2017, I think. Or the year before. 

It was announced on the day, just a few hours before. There was some thought it was going to be SFA because there were a few animal based teaser tweets sent out. 

• Like 1