2019 Predictions

qrdk

10 hours ago, SighMo said:

I knew it was Black Midi last year because a guy form Squid told me at the Tipi bar a couple of nights before. 

haha  a guy from Squid snapped at my mate last year because he overheard him making fun of the band Duds

Edited by WM Hall

with regard to secret sets it seems you just need to know someone working in the press tent... alternatively catch Simon when he's drunk one night - he sort of gave away that Joanna Newsom would be headlining 2016 when I chatted to him in the games area in 2015

2 hours ago, WM Hall said:

with regard to secret sets it seems you just need to know someone working in the press tent... alternatively catch Simon when he's drunk one night - he sort of gave away that Joanna Newsom would be headlining 2016 when I chatted to him in the games area in 2015

Did you try to slap some sense into him?

• Upvote 1

Both EotR and line of best fit tweet out *some* of the piano stage sets - but not for bigger acts like Big Thief, for whom there would clearly be more of a potential audience than the piano stage could cope with. So that one, at least, wasn't advertised at all in advance as far as I'm aware. Enough word got round for it to be pretty well rammed in any case.

14 minutes ago, Born in the fifties said:

Very happy for it to be an actual headliner, but would rather it was someone than I don't want to see. Beirut vs. Low was not a clash for me, and I'd like to keep it that way.

We don’t know if it’s a headliner though 

25 minutes ago, WM Hall said:

how do we know it'll be announced soon (if ever)?

In the post they made a few days ago on Facebook announcing the cinema tent many people asked when the Beirut headliner would be announced. They replied saying "keep an eye out for an announcement next week" 

Edited by Guy Incognito

On 8/3/2019 at 10:47 PM, Guy Incognito said:

Ask Big Jeff. He seems to get told all the tipi secret sets well in advance. Spoke to him on the Thursday last year and he let me know all of them with 100% accuracy.  

That works for me. 

On 8/4/2019 at 6:35 AM, WM Hall said:

haha  a guy from Squid snapped at my mate last year because he overheard him making fun of the band Duds

Squid were great when I saw them last month. 

(But then I liked Duds at EOTR). 

3 hours ago, Declan said:

Squid were great when I saw them last month. 

(But then I liked Duds at EOTR). 

I liked Duds, too, but our friend who'd never heard of them was pretending they were was his all-time favourites much to the irritation of the Squid fella

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:47 PM, Guy Incognito said:

Ask Big Jeff. He seems to get told all the tipi secret sets well in advance. Spoke to him on the Thursday last year and he let me know all of them with 100% accuracy.  

I gave Big Jeff the Black Midi tip-off only for him to almost give it back to me a day later...cheeky git.

• Upvote 1

That WhatsApp group last year was very useful. Would be good to have another one this time. I quite enjoyed people arguing over who was the better choice to see between Oh Sees and Vampire Weekend.

Obviously the correct answer was Oh Sees. 

I've always thought the secret sets were reasonably easy to find info on. The piano stage ones more hit and miss but it's fun seeing who is following Line of Best Fit just to watch when suddenly a load of people get up at the same time and start rushing towards the stage. 

32 minutes ago, bobbyperu said:

?

Good sherlocking, but it can't be... they're in California EOTR weekend https://pasadenadaydream.com/

I'm dreading a re-shuffle, I don't want to choose between Courtney + Low.

Can't find an Electric Picnic schedule anywhere, wondering whether it could also be a JARV IS move, as someone previously suggested? Though I certainly don't want to have to choose between Jarvis and Low either.

22 minutes ago, rararachel said:

Can't find an Electric Picnic schedule anywhere, wondering whether it could also be a JARV IS move, as someone previously suggested? Though I certainly don't want to have to choose between Jarvis and Low either.

Which Electric picnic bands do you think could also fit in near the top of the End of the Road line up? Christine and the Queens? 

I really like Echo and the Bunnymen, but that won't happen...

22 minutes ago, Tomos_ said:

Which Electric picnic bands do you think could also fit in near the top of the End of the Road line up? Christine and the Queens? 

James Blake?

Seems very odd that a festival this month wouldn't have announced its day splits by now. (Possible it's on their app but I'm not downloading it just for that)

Edited by SweepingTheNation

5 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

James Blake?

Seems very odd that a festival this month wouldn't have announced its day splits by now. (Possible it's on their app but I'm not downloading it just for that)

Curiosity got the better of me, i did download it.. and still no splits ! It just says “coming soon” in the schedule section. 

Interesting they have Jarvis higher up the bill than Michael Kiwanuka, who is the same billing as Courtney. 

36 minutes ago, Tomos_ said:

There’s already a lot of overlap — I was hunting the splits to see when jarv is was on over there, see if he might be moved over to main stage on Saturday. Running through all my various doomsday scenarios (essentially, anyone I like clashing with Low who I love but have seen tens of times — don’t want to have to make tough choices!) 

Can’t really imagine anyone else from the line up fitting. Christine and the Queens maybe but not quite eotr, somehow? James Blake, but not headlining? 

9 minutes ago, rararachel said:

Can’t really imagine anyone else from the line up fitting. Christine and the Queens maybe but not quite eotr, somehow? James Blake, but not headlining? 

Don't see why Blake wouldn't headline if it's him given he headlined Green Man three years ago and has had a top ten album this year.

Edited by SweepingTheNation

18 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Don't see why Blake wouldn't headline if it's him given he headlined Green Man three years ago and has had a top ten album this year.

You're right, of course, totally logical. 

I'm clearly speaking from some strange (misplaced!?) sense of injustice that Courtney wouldn't be 'promoted' (even though it's a clash-scenario I'd personally hate!)

Feel the same way about Sharon van Etten being second on the bill at Green Man, with Yo La Tengo as headliners. Logic, scheduling complexities, artist unavailability and timelines be damned, I'd like to see these women top the bills! ?