2019 Predictions

qrdk

This loud and quiet schedule is baffling. Should one trust it having the obvious mistake with porridge radio? On thursday it says that jockstrap will play a slot earlier so i 'm wondering who will play opposite to spiritualized. I hope it' s not pottery. I would very much prefer the current clashfinder as it stands, more clashes for me if the l&q schedule is accurate. The worst would be a deerhunter-fontaines dc clash.

31 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Just been trying to do a Clashfinder and that Loud & Quiet stuff just confuses the issue. The only thing I've got sorted is the headliners - 3 x Garden. 

Hopefully this years programme will have that helpful clashfinder in like last year's did and I can work it all out in a bar on the Thursday.

The times are usually released a couple of days in advance in clashfinder form anyway.

Anyone who went to Glastonbury, see Goat Girl? One of the bands i'm most looking for to seeing at End of the Road, but watching their set on i-player has left me feeling a little flat. Perhaps to bigger stage or too early set time? Basically looking for re-assurance here ?

3 minutes ago, Tyonks said:

Anyone who went to Glastonbury, see Goat Girl? One of the bands i'm most looking for to seeing at End of the Road, but watching their set on i-player has left me feeling a little flat. Perhaps to bigger stage or too early set time? Basically looking for re-assurance here ?

I saw some of Goat Girl’s set at Citadel last year and honestly didn’t find them too enticing. I love their album and they’re obviously talented but didn’t find them to have much in the way of a stage presence unfortunately. That was a year ago however and they might have developed in that time, I’m yet to watch their Glastonbury set but will give it a go.

11 minutes ago, 93jag01 said:

I saw some of Goat Girl’s set at Citadel last year and honestly didn’t find them too enticing. I love their album and they’re obviously talented but didn’t find them to have much in the way of a stage presence unfortunately. That was a year ago however and they might have developed in that time, I’m yet to watch their Glastonbury set but will give it a go.

Yea i love their album and listened to it pretty obsessively over a number of months after i bought it - their Glastonbury set seems to fit with what you're saying really, clearly talented, but lacking confidence/stage presence - I imagine i'll still be game for them though at End of the Road.

Edited by Tyonks

10 hours ago, Tyonks said:

They're certainly quite static, and let the music "speak" for itself. At EOTR 2yrs ago I thought them flat, but at Truck a year ago I thought they were really good - even had a teenage moshpit going. Dunno how it will work outdoors. Not sure 2 conflicting stories helps much, but I personally like the music enough to go see anyway.

On 7/4/2019 at 10:41 PM, Ira said:

This loud and quiet schedule is baffling. Should one trust it having the obvious mistake with porridge radio? On thursday it says that jockstrap will play a slot earlier so i 'm wondering who will play opposite to spiritualized. I hope it' s not pottery. I would very much prefer the current clashfinder as it stands, more clashes for me if the l&q schedule is accurate. The worst would be a deerhunter-fontaines dc clash.

HIGHLY doubt Jockstrap will play for an hour as the clashfinder says! When I've seen them headline they've played for 40 mins. Du Blonde is "bigger" with a much larger back catalogue

I was also pretty underwhelmed with Goat Girl at EotR two years ago - rattled through a pretty pedestrian set and finished ten or fifteen minutes early. Have heard much better reports of them since though so I might have given them another go, but it looks like they'll be clashing with Black Midi and / or Gazelle Twin.

23 hours ago, Tyonks said:

I saw them twice last year.

First time they were support to British Sea Power at Rock City in Nottingham - they were ok for a new band but didn't have much in the way of stage presence, just came on played their tunes and left.

Second time was at Green Man last year - they were much livelier, perhaps encouraged by a group of fans down at the front.

I've watched their Glastonbury set on iPlayer and it seemed a bit flat. Another year of playing what must be essentially the same set seems to have polished the performance but taken away some of the rawness and excitement which they had last year. It may of course have felt different in the tent.

Sorry if this is not very reassuring. I'll see them if there's no serious clashes but if Clashfinder is right, then I'll be at Black Midi.

Edited by Losing my hair

19 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

Second time was at Green Man last year - they were much livelier, perhaps encouraged by a group of fans down at the front.

I saw that Green Man gig too and really enjoyed it.

Heard that there were some 'fake' fans there that day being paid by a record company to create some atmosphere for a few of the smaller bands.

Does that sort of thing happen?!

1 hour ago, benali said:

Heard that there were some 'fake' fans there that day being paid by a record company to create some atmosphere for a few of the smaller bands.

Sad indication if so. bm are maybe the best new band around and consistently excellent live. Shouldn't need that sort of thing.

The people at End Of The Road are saying it's gonna sell out this week. @GETOFFAMYLAWN are you going again this year? 

Edited by Guy Incognito

18 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

Sad indication if so. bm are maybe the best new band around and consistently excellent live. Shouldn't need that sort of thing.

The people at End Of The Road are saying it's gonna sell out this week. @GETOFFAMYLAWN are you going again this year? 

It was the Goat Girl gig I was referring to rather than Black Midi. But yeah, no one needs that to be happening.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Sadly no. Initially I didn't have enough days of annual leave, but I ended up winning a couple more unexpectedly the other day, I took a look at EotR but there's no way I could afford it at this late notice. Aiming to get back next year tho, it's a priority.

17 hours ago, benali said:

Highly highly doubt it... Their record company is Rough Trade and they've had a good fanbase since they started.. did loads of gigs in South London and built up a solid following