2019 Predictions

qrdk

On 1/31/2019 at 8:23 PM, Tomos_ said:

Apart from the headliners, where do you think other bands are going to slot in?

Pre-Headline Woods Slot

Courtney Barnett, Jarvis?

Garden Headliners

Deerhunter, Parquet Courts?

Late Big Top Slot

Sleafod Mods, Low, Daniel Avery, BEAK>?

agree with most of what you've said apart from I think Parquet Courts will be on Woods. They played third down in 2017 so maybe them Jarvis and Courtney for Pre-headline. Think Low, Deerhunter and one other not yet announced for Garden Headliners.

41 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

agree with most of what you've said apart from I think Parquet Courts will be on Woods. They played third down in 2017 so maybe them Jarvis and Courtney for Pre-headline. Think Low, Deerhunter and one other not yet announced for Garden Headliners.

Parquet Courts could be late night big top?

Curious where Mitski will be – the album from last year is extraordinary, and topped a lot of year-end best-ofs – very excited to see her. She's a highlight for me along with Low, who I've seen a dozen or more times, never seen them do a dud show, their Garden set a few years ago was beyond, agree the new material could work in the big top but fingers crossed for the Garden.

On 1/31/2019 at 3:09 PM, sthorpe said:

This years surprise is Michael Kiwanuka - I really liked some of his last album but have never seen him live before. It does make me think that Simon and the team have heard his new album (he must be due one?), or least some of it to feel it's the right booking. 

Saw Michael on his last tour and also at Neighbourhood Festival last summer and live he is stunning. His sound embraces psychedelia, soul and rock and he holds the attention of the audience transfixed by jams and intense playing. Surprised to see him at EOTR but very happy at the same time 

On 1/31/2019 at 4:18 PM, theevilfridge said:

Awwww, but it’s full wonky Nights Out-era vibes, and Nights Out is the best! :(

Back to excited again having just seen an ad for the 10-year anniversary release of Nights Out – now that's an album I loved! Better than English Riviera... could definitely get behind a Nights Out heavy set... 

Which would be considered the higher / more prestigious billing - subbing the Woods or headlining the Garden?

Ezra Furman did the latter in 2016 and the former in 2018, so I suppose that's presumed to be a promotion. But I'd have expected more bands to prefer the Garden headline slot. (For much the same reasons as it's where I'd prefer to see them.)

I don't suppose most bands know about the Garden until they get there so they have no great feelings about it. But in terms of which is bigger, for the record let's compare the last few years:

Fat White Family - Jeff Tweedy
Gruff Rhys - Oh Sees
Ezra Furman - White Denm

Real Estate - Lucinda Williams
Band Of Horses - Ty Segall
Amadou & Mariam - Bill Callahan

Savages - Cat Power
Goat - Ezra Furman
Devendra Banhart - Thee Oh Sees

Django Django - Low
My Morning Jacket - Mark Lanegan
Future Islands - Laura Marling

Stephen Malkmus - The Gene Clark No Other Band
The Horrors - John Grant
Yo La Tengo - White Denim

Of course Callahan was actually announced as a headliner, which I think might definitely swing it Garden's way.

14 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

I don't suppose most bands know about the Garden until they get there so they have no great feelings about it.

No, fair point. I suppose their could be a difference in remuneration, but they wouldn't necessarily be aware of that either. (And I've no idea how such things work.)

Just got tickets for this! 

I last went to EOTR back in 2007 but went to Larmer Tree Fest last year & remembered how much I loved the place.

I’m sure a lot has changed at the fest (for one it looks bigger!) so I’m looking forward to checking it all out. There’s a lot on the line up I like too so I really cannot wait! 

The BIG question - is the Cider Bus still there?! 

12 hours ago, SighMo said:

mario man: Was my first EOTR last year and yes, the cider bus was there. I only visited once and that was on the Sunday night, pretty late. Will definitly visit at Glasto and EOTR this year for some grooving with a pint of cider.

Many thanks! I’ve spotted it on the map now. Always nice to see a few bits of glasto at other fests. I’m sure the Bimble Inn was there last time as well but doesn’t seem to be on the map.

16 hours ago, mario man said:

Just got tickets for this! 

I last went to EOTR back in 2007 but went to Larmer Tree Fest last year & remembered how much I loved the place.

I’m sure a lot has changed at the fest (for one it looks bigger!) so I’m looking forward to checking it all out. There’s a lot on the line up I like too so I really cannot wait! 

The BIG question - is the Cider Bus still there?! 

You're damned right it is, but in less of a special location. It used to be in that food zone just off the Garden Stage and was worth spending time at as a destination in its own right. Now it's in the row closer to the Tipi Tent, near the exit to the campsites. It's OK, especially once they fire up the nearby bonfires in the evening, but it has lost something.

3 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Let's Eat Grandma are doing the Larmer Tree double, which doesn't happen often.

I think Let’s Eat Grandma were due to play Larmer Tree last year but pulled out on the day so maybe the reason for it. Although BC Camplight doing both as well