2019 Predictions

qrdk

31 minutes ago, thebeattokeep said:

Oh dear, I was feeling relatively optimistic about Metronomy (thinking: "ah they're good fun, I remember loving English Riviera, am sure i'll enjoy the new stuff too"), but just listened to Back Together and found it absolutely UNBEARABLE!  Almost like a terrible parody of someone inimitable like Unknown Mortal Orchestra. Damn! 

Awwww, but it’s full wonky Nights Out-era vibes, and Nights Out is the best! :(

Really hope they win everyone here round with a new album and great performance. Them in the Williams Green tent at Glasto ‘14 is genuinely one of my favourite gigs of all time (out of considerably over 1,000 now).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, theevilfridge said:

Awwww, but it’s full wonky Nights Out-era vibes, and Nights Out is the best! :(

Really hope they win everyone here round with a new album and great performance. Them in the Williams Green tent at Glasto ‘14 is genuinely one of my favourite gigs of all time (out of considerably over 1,000 now).

That WG gig was brilliant, absolutely loved it. Seen Metro & The Lads countless times now and they've always brought the house down. Not sure why they're getting such a poor reception here, but they're a great night for those who want it.

7 minutes ago, Tomos_ said:

Apart from the headliners, where do you think other bands are going to slot in?

Pre-Headline Woods Slot

Courtney Barnett, Jarvis?

Garden Headliners

Deerhunter, Parquet Courts?

Late Big Top Slot

Sleafod Mods, Low, Daniel Avery, BEAK>?

Don’t think low would be in the big top for one minute. Both times they have played both times on the garden stage. It’s the woods or the garden for them. I would say they will be a garden headliner. Yes Deerhunter good chance they will headline the garden. Agree with all your big top with the exception of low. 

Low would really suit a late night Big Top set tbf...I'd rather see that than them repeat the Garden I think.

Agree with Sean, Beak> were superb last time but just repeating the slot doesn't really do it for me...same with Oh Sees playing the garden two years running last year really...

6 hours ago, wolfamongwolves said:

Low last night were pretty incredible. The new album sounded even better live. 

There are just made for the garden stage. 

Going to see them tomorrow, so good to hear they are in form (though it was not really in doubt).  Looking forward to it.  Pleased they are playing at EOTR as well!

Just had a listen to Metronomy for the first time. They belong on a cruise ship. I had a listen to Michael Kiwanuka the other week, can’t remember why, but was pleasantly surprised. He could turn out to be a highlight.

its not an Americana festival any more is it? This will probably be my last one.

11 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Caught them at Green Man a couple of years ago. This may sound outlandish, but I promise I'm not making this up; they were that good my head actually rotated around 360s on my shoulders. It was mental. Great band.

Ha great stuff. Never heard of them to be honest. Love tat about EOTR. I discover loads of new of bands.

11 hours ago, Fat_Buddha said:

Just had a listen to Metronomy for the first time. They belong on a cruise ship. I had a listen to Michael Kiwanuka the other week, can’t remember why, but was pleasantly surprised. He could turn out to be a highlight.

its not an Americana festival any more is it? This will probably be my last one.

I was saying exactly this to a mate. There's not a lot of the folk-Americana-country strand in there this year. Israel Nash being the obvious exception. I always liked a bit of that relaxing stuff in the day, followed by psychedelic raucous nonsense in the evening.

This’ll be my third EOTR (‘12 & ‘18 in the past) and I think the undercard is fantastic this year. Really diverse and exciting with bonafide electronica (Dan Avery) and metal (PigsX7) added to the usual mix.

But I am most excited about finally seeing Jessica Pratt after adoring her first two records, and the new one shaping up beautifully too. If you’re looking for quieter acts, her bewitching folk (somewhere between Sibbyle Baier, Joanna Newsom, Joni and Linda Perhacs, yet utterly distinctive) is as good as it gets.

Hoping she gets a good slot in the teepee.