2019 Predictions

qrdk

6 minutes ago, wolfamongwolves said:

Get with the times that’s why the undercard is so impressive. Because it’s so diverse and refreshing very much now. Metronomy is not getting with the times. If they had been announced as headlining the green man . The beautiful folks on here would more than likely be saying how poor an headliner they are. 

How is booking a headliner who are getting increasingly popular and with a new album out this year ‘not getting with the times’? Just because you haven’t heard any of their stuff since A Thing For Me was everywhere?

Thinking about going to this or Green Man this year.

These headliners don't particularly appeal to me but the undercard is stacked. Roughly how much of the lineup is there left to announce? 

...and how does it work with the main stage headliners. Are there other headliners on at the same time? 

Edited by TomViolence

These are the acts who were added after the 'first wave' last year:

Josh T. Pearson
Wild Billy Childish & CTMF
Titus Andronicus
Jonathan Wilson
Lucy Dacus
Shannon and the Clams
Stealing Sheep
The Limiñanas
Warmduscher
Soccer Mommy
Cut Worms
Haley Heynderickx
Josienne Clarke and Ben Walker
The Orielles
Warhaus
Saba Lou
Honey Harper
Plastic Mermaids
Zulu Zulu
Boy Azooga

White Denim
Iceage
The Posies
Sunflower Bean
Bas Jan
Kiran Leonard
Marc Riley DJ
Screaming Females
Laura Misch
A. Wesley Chung
StevieRay Latham
Suggested Friends

Some pretty big names, including a garden headliner (White Denim)

5 minutes ago, TomViolence said:

...and how does it work with the main stage headliners. Are there other headliners on at the same time? 

Two of the other three stages will have music on at the same time.

FWIW I can see Barnett and Deerhunter as Woods subs (no idea who to), Low headlining Garden, Sleaford Mods as the big Big Top draw... no idea where Jarvis would go, especially being cagey as to what 'Jarv Is' actually is and the suggestion on the site that even this will be a preview. I'd guess there's at least one Garden head/Woods sub being saved for the second announcement. I haven't seen that much negativity on Twitter about the headliners, though, just the usual "another stellar EOTR bill" - and comparing with Green Man's headliners I'd say all four are more of a draw than Four Tet.

15 minutes ago, theevilfridge said:

How is booking a headliner who are getting increasingly popular and with a new album out this year ‘not getting with the times’? Just because you haven’t heard any of their stuff since A Thing For Me was everywhere?

You do seem to be in the minority with your opinion of them. I have there first 3 albums. And heard music from them since. 

8 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

especially being cagey as to what 'Jarv Is' actually is and the suggestion on the site that even this will be a preview.

It won't be a "preview" those shows were in tiny venues last year. He's also at APE and Primavera. I was lucky enough to get tickets to one of the preview show and it was fantastic. Mostly new material, which sounds as close to classic Pulp as you can get, a few choice cuts from previous solo albums and one Pulp b-Side. He's got Serafina Steer in his backing band, and it's just a brilliant show. I was hoping he'd be on, so I'm pretty stoked

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Yesiamaduck said:

Am i the only one looking at the pop, jazz, electrobic, world music, no wave, noise rock at the undercard and thinking 'shit this selection is fucking gilden' the one crticism id usualltly level at this fest is the lack of diversity at times but this year 

For me, I think what it is, is there's no big coup, or even a rarity. The line-up seems to just have a load of bands doing the rounds. Out of all the acts on the line-up I like, I've seen them all without really any effort.

2 minutes ago, Yesiamaduck said:

Am i the only one looking at the pop, jazz, electrobic, world music, no wave, noise rock at the undercard and thinking 'shit this selection is fucking gilden' the one crticism id usualltly level at this fest is the lack of diversity at times but this year 

I don't know much of it, but it is really refreshing. Some of my favourite performances from the past couple of years were by Vaudou Game and Mulatu Astatke. I've been for a walk with the playlist and automatically Nerija and Moses Boyd have stood out. It's going to be great!

1 minute ago, wolfamongwolves said:

You do seem to be in the minority with your opinion of them. I have there first 3 albums. And heard music from them since. 

You and like 5 other people on a tiny corner of the internet not being fussed about them for a while does not make them a bad booking ‘in 2019’, though, does it?

21 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

For me, I think what it is, is there's no big coup, or even a rarity. The line-up seems to just have a load of bands doing the rounds. Out of all the acts on the line-up I like, I've seen them all without really any effort.

As ever, Amy nails it. I’m very happy with it, there’s lots of bands I like, but there’s not a ‘no fucking way! How did they get THEM’ act

1 hour ago, Tomos_ said:

These are the acts who were added after the 'first wave' last year:

Josh T. Pearson
Wild Billy Childish & CTMF
Titus Andronicus
Jonathan Wilson
Lucy Dacus
Shannon and the Clams
Stealing Sheep
The Limiñanas
Warmduscher
Soccer Mommy
Cut Worms
Haley Heynderickx
Josienne Clarke and Ben Walker
The Orielles
Warhaus
Saba Lou
Honey Harper
Plastic Mermaids
Zulu Zulu
Boy Azooga

White Denim
Iceage
The Posies
Sunflower Bean
Bas Jan
Kiran Leonard
Marc Riley DJ
Screaming Females
Laura Misch
A. Wesley Chung
StevieRay Latham
Suggested Friends

Some pretty big names, including a garden headliner (White Denim)

Cheers! Lots still to come then... assuming this first announcement has a similar amount of acts as last time. 

Edited by TomViolence

1 hour ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Two of the other three stages will have music on at the same time.

FWIW I can see Barnett and Deerhunter as Woods subs (no idea who to), Low headlining Garden, Sleaford Mods as the big Big Top draw... no idea where Jarvis would go, especially being cagey as to what 'Jarv Is' actually is and the suggestion on the site that even this will be a preview. I'd guess there's at least one Garden head/Woods sub being saved for the second announcement. I haven't seen that much negativity on Twitter about the headliners, though, just the usual "another stellar EOTR bill" - and comparing with Green Man's headliners I'd say all four are more of a draw than Four Tet.

Cheers! 

17 minutes ago, TomViolence said:

Cheers! Lots still to come then... assuming this first announcement has a similar amount of acts as last time. 

Just did a quick count and there were 62 acts announced at this stage last year, compared to 71 this year

Edited by Tomos_

1 hour ago, theevilfridge said:

You and like 5 other people on a tiny corner of the internet not being fussed about them for a while does not make them a bad booking ‘in 2019’, though, does it?

Again this is just my opinion (well, and metacritic apparently) but I think their albums have gone downhill since the English Riviera and the songs from that album have not aged that well. I hope they have a new album in the works that is a cracker but if not they'll mainly be playing from the 2016 album that I don't like ?

Really happy with the line-up. There is at least 20 things I would like to see, and that's before any new discoveries in the next 7 months.

I think the headliners are good - Spiritualized are one of my favourite bands and metronomy are always good fun. Im surprised that Beirut are headlining above Courtney Barnett (who I thought was a dead-cert for a headline spot) but the fact that they are both playing is cool.

This years surprise is Michael Kiwanuka - I really liked some of his last album but have never seen him live before. It does make me think that Simon and the team have heard his new album (he must be due one?), or least some of it to feel it's the right booking. 

Ultimately, I always have fun at EoTR, l and can't wait to see what other delights the team have in store for us.

13 minutes ago, goldengirl said:

Again this is just my opinion (well, and metacritic apparently) but I think their albums have gone downhill since the English Riviera and the songs from that album have not aged that well. I hope they have a new album in the works that is a cracker but if not they'll mainly be playing from the 2016 album that I don't like ?

Happy to concede that if they don’t put anything out before the fest, or they do but it bombs, it’ll look a lot more questionable. Personally I liked the last album a lot, and Back Together in particular is a cracker. Certainly didn’t seem to do their live draw any harm.

Not a whole lot of "wow" acts for me but a lot of strength in depth, also my 3 fav acts last year were ones i either didn't know or wasn't as fussed about when they were announced at the time. Probably about another 25/30 acts to be announced and already a few new discoveries via the playlist.

Trying to work out who will play where is a mystery though. There definitely seems to be acts on the bill who are bigger than the "headliners". In years gone by the Gene Clark No Other Band and Bill Callahan were both announced as headliners before being moved to the more suitable Garden Stage. Wonder if similar will happen with Beirut with maybe Courtney Barnett stepping up?

I always felt Michael Kiwanuka was a bit "radio 2" and dismissed him but his last album was recommended to me and i loved it and the show in Glasgow on that tour was fantastic. He'll go down a storm at EOTR i think and will surprise a lot of people.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sthorpe said:

This years surprise is Michael Kiwanuka - I really liked some of his last album but have never seen him live before. It does make me think that Simon and the team have heard his new album (he must be due one?), or least some of it to feel it's the right booking. 

This could be true of a new Metronomy album too... 

In terms of who/where... its so hard to tell – Bill Callahan (Garden headline slot) and Slowdive (Thursday night) were both in the second announcement in 2017, and as per the poster, The Jesus & Mary Chain looked lower down the bill but were Woods headliners, they weren't even mentioned in the announcement write-up... 

In 2016, the Shins were added in the third announcement, with Ezra (garden headline) in a tiny fourth announcement... 

From what I gather, the 2017 headliners went a bit awry because Feist was actually meant to headline that year. I think all 4 acts that have been announced as headliners will be on the Woods Stage this year. Beirut has played there before, Spiritualized are playing on the Thursday. But yeah, where the rest fit in is anyone's guess!

14 minutes ago, theevilfridge said:

Personally I liked the last album a lot, and Back Together in particular is a cracker. Certainly didn’t seem to do their live draw any harm.

Oh dear, I was feeling relatively optimistic about Metronomy (thinking: "ah they're good fun, I remember loving English Riviera, am sure i'll enjoy the new stuff too"), but just listened to Back Together and found it absolutely UNBEARABLE!  Almost like a terrible parody of someone inimitable like Unknown Mortal Orchestra. Damn! 

Nevertheless, enough other good stuff to enjoy. Am gutted about SVE, was so sure we'd get her, surprised not to see Aldous Harding as well, though she could easily be in a second announcement. There's so little acoustic/folky guitar in this announcement – neither good nor bad – but, as everyone is saying, so eclectic... I'm loving investigating so far.