2019 Predictions

qrdk

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Spiritualized Thurs headliners

Looks like it as Beirut also announced as headliners and this is in the copy

'The audacious and uncompromising Spiritualized are revered for their transcendent live shows, with their ever enigmatic leader Jason Pierce’s performances at once poignant and defiant, they’re set to launch the festival into the stratosphere.' 

Really liking the look of the line up

Sadly I have to miss EOTR this year, but I am quite relieved when I see this lineup. Other than missing Courtney Barnett and Cass McCombs I'm not that gutted. Low, Parquet Courts, Israel Nash, Steve Gunn would have been nice, but most of these have played before. I'm sure it'll be good as a complete event though, it always is.

Beirut and Metronomy are quite crap headliners IMO (hasn't Beirut's stock decreased considerably since they last headlined in 2011?). Can't say that I've ever listened to Michael Kiwanuka before, but I do like what I'm hearing on Spotify right now.

Very strong undercard as always, and you can't fault them for lack of diversity this time round. There's a lot of great jazz (Moses Boyd Exodus, Nubya Garcia, Nérija), electronic/ambient stuff (Daniel Avery, Yves Tumor), post-punk (Wire, Crack Cloud, Fontaines D.C.), heavy psych (Pigs x7, Kikagaku Moyo) and 'world' music (BCUC, Ata Kak). Probably not quite as good as last year overall, but I'm still super excited for this one.

Long time lurker, first-time poster. Back for my fifth consecutive end of the road – always trust the undercard will provide many new delights. 

One thing that strikes me this year ––– so few women at the top! 

How many more headliners to come? Might things rejig up top –– two, maybe three, more up there? 

Could Jarvis be the woods support (same slot as Devendra Banhart a few years back?) 

Got to assume garden headliners will be Low (they've headlined Garden before and hardly going to be 'demoted') and Courtney, possibly one more to come? 

Any chance of Metronomy anywhere other than Woods headliner? seems unlikely but... Big Top after hours? 

Like most people, finding the headliners perplexing...

Well, that announcement is...interesting?!

Not sure what Metronomy have done to deserve headline status. Bizarre decision. Surely Deerhunter or Courtney Barnett would be more suited? Not sure anyone would have predicted Michael Kiwanuka. Not really familiar with any of his work but will give it a go. Beirut again - a bit lazy.

Undercard decent as usual.

Given their usual drive for equality on the line-up, the lack of a female headliner is puzzling. Is there some beef between Simon and SVE? Very strange that she has never played.

I'm not too shocked at the lack of female headliner this year. They had two last year, Courtney Barnett, Mitski, Cate Le Bon have all got high billings, and there are prominent female members of Low, Metronomy and Jarvis' band. 

They've also a hell of a lot of racial diversity on the bill (including one of the main headliners), so I think it's a bit of an unfair stick to beat them with. It's a long way from being a festival of white-boys with guitars.

Think the SVE thing is just unfortunate. You're never going to get EOTR and GM sharing the top tier acts, she was always going to play one or the other.