2019 Predictions

qrdk

What I love about EOTR is that I have no idea who is going to be announced. Its always good fun to try and predict it though.

My guesses:

Courtney Barnett

Young Fathers

Ryan Adams

Sharon Van Etten

Also, any EoTR regulars also done Green Man? Any comparisons/differences? EoTR is a given, but might have room for another this year...

Not doing Green Man at the moment, but have carelessly and with misgivings booked a ticket for Black Deer Festival because it was really cheap as a super early bird. Not sure this was a good move: they seem able to get some reasonable americana acts up front, and then there's a drop off. Band of Horses, Larkin Poe, John Butler Trio (not exactly americana, but...), John Smith, Ryan Bingham all OK, then a bucketful of rather nondescript americans and brits. 

2 hours ago, sthorpe said:

any EoTR regulars also done Green Man? Any comparisons/differences? EoTR is a given, but might have room for another this year...

We go to both most years and I love them equally. 

Green Man has far more to do aside from the music, especially if you have kids with you because there is loads for them. It's also better for beer if you like that sort of thing!

Music wise there's a fair amount of crossover. You occasionally get the same band playing at both but it's more like they do alternate years between the 2 festivals.

We always have a settlers pass which enables you to go for a week and mooch around the surrounding area for a few days. Even then they have plenty of activities on and music on one stage in the evenings, mostly local-ish bands but normally decent. 

Because of the larger capacity Green Man do book slightly bigger acts, and if anything there's actually more room just to chill out and relax because the site has quite a bit of space in-between stages. 

They are announcing the first lot of acts tomorrow.

14 minutes ago, shoebox said:

A convenient EOTR shaped hole in Eels world tour plans this autumn. I know they've played before (under a motherfucking double rainbow!), but that shouldn't prevent them returning.

Uk date day after green man makes me think he’s there instead of eotr

Was about to say i'd ask Low during their in store at Resident if they're playing EOTR but just realised we'll already know the lineup by then!

Courtney Barnett is expected at this point. King Gizzard would be cool but seen them a lot of times so wouldn't be too ecstatic if they headlined. As per I imagine it'll be in the undercard where the real gems are.

The joy is, unlike most festivals, there's so little on at the same time as EOTR that the big names are always always complete surprises.

I kind of feel those who are over at the start of the summer might be most likely to come back at its end especially if they have new albums due, so Bon Iver and First Aid Kit would be in position. Sharon Van Etten and Deerhunter feel like good chances too, and I'd throw in Kurt Vile. Hot Chip might be an outside bet, they've got new material on the way and Alexis played the other year.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

The joy is, unlike most festivals, there's so little on at the same time as EOTR that the big names are always always complete surprises.

I kind of feel those who are over at the start of the summer might be most likely to come back at its end especially if they have new albums due, so Bon Iver and First Aid Kit would be in position. Sharon Van Etten and Deerhunter feel like good chances too, and I'd throw in Kurt Vile. Hot Chip might be an outside bet, they've got new material on the way and Alexis played the other year.

I remember last year everyone said Bon Iver was too big but after booking Vampire Weekend last year I'd say its possible. Deerhunter are the headline act I'm most hoping for, great live band.

Although the GM line-up means no Sharon Van Etten or Khruangbin (who I fancied seeing at EOTR), I'm hopeful that some of the smaller acts on the GM line-up that I like (for example Hen Ogledd and Skinny Pelembe) end up doing both....

Edited by Tomos_

2 minutes ago, Tomos_ said:

Although the GM line-up means no Sharon Van Etten or Khruangbin (who I fancied seeing at EOTR), I'm hopeful that some of the smaller acts on the GM line-up that I like (for example Hen Ogledd and Skinny Pelembe) end up doing both....

I'm pleased to see Whitney on there, although a little higher up. Good to see they're doing festivals again this summer. Fingers crossed they'll return.

Avi Buffalo lurking in there too. That's a name I haven't seen in a long time!