2019 Predictions

qrdk

Saw William Doyle last night...his new stuff sounded fantastic and very weird to see him rocking out on guitar after what he did during his East India Youth days.

His late night Big Top set in 2015 remains one of my favourite performances ever so hopefully he'll be playing this year.

I did see him walking around last year as a normal punter (I assume) so it's clear he enjoys the festival.

58 minutes ago, Sean1234321 said:

Saw William Doyle last night...his new stuff sounded fantastic and very weird to see him rocking out on guitar after what he did during his East India Youth days.

His late night Big Top set in 2015 remains one of my favourite performances ever so hopefully he'll be playing this year.

I did see him walking around last year as a normal punter (I assume) so it's clear he enjoys the festival.

I really wanted to go to that. So it wasn't typical of his previous work then?

I got chatting to him and his girlfriend last year whilst waiting for Gruff to do his piano stage set. Nice guy, hope he plays again.

Well he had a band behind him so it was always going to be different - some of the songs were undoubtedly East India Youth-esque, however there were a couple of rockier 'traditional' songs that were a surprise, and William was even hammering out a guitar solo at one point.

I would say it was pretty much a continuation from what he was doing a few years ago, and I would imagine the recorded music will be more similar to that than what he played last night.

A particular highlight was a feedback-driven song that he played solo over what seemed to be a pre-recorded backing track...I'm not actually sure what was going on at points as it literally sounded like the band were playing, but he was just hunched over his guitar and kept going over to the keyboard pressing stuff.

He seemed to be having a good time anyway, and he seemed pretty tight with the band so I'm guessing it's people he's known for quite a while.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 10:28 AM, Sean1234321 said:

I'd love him to play. Funnily enough I didn't know he was making music under his own name until I saw this gig advertised in the EotR programme. Loved both East India Youth albums and thought the live shows were exceptional.

24 minutes ago, James96 said:

Beak > have just self confirmed.

This is great, saw it on their new tour dates poster. Has them down for the 29th which is the Thursday and would imagine them on the Woods stage ratehr than the Tipi given the siaze of crowd they had in 2016 as Bigtop headliners. of couer the 29th could just be a 'holding date'.

Some predictions:

Fontaines DC have to be a shoe in. They'll be in huge demand on the festival circuit this year.

Went to see Heavy Lungs last night. They'd do a job of getting the moshers going in the Big Top. 

Daniel Avery would be great. Fur would go down a storm. Murder Capital probably a decent shout too.

Really want some kind of Ty Segall performance. I'd take Fuzz or him and White Fence. Not fussed as long he's there. Oh and Parquet Courts. Please book Parquet Courts.

Headliners aside, I actually think the Latitude lineup so far is decent.

Underworld, Cat Power, Khruangbin, Anna Calvi, Baxter Dury, Gomez, Rolling Blackouts, Nadine Shah, Sons of Kemet, Julia Jacklin....all bands and artists I've either seen at EOTR before or would like to see this year.

Even stuff like Pale Waves, Loyle Carner, Primal Scream and Slaves I don't mind, although they don't strike me as 'EOTR' type bands. 

Headliners I can see here or GM: 

- Sharon Van Etten (surely a shoe in for one) 

- Deerhuner 

- The Good, The Bad, The Queen 

- Wilco 

- Ryan Adams

- Mercury Rev playing Deserter Songs 

- Conor Oberst and Phoebe Bridgers 

- Low 

- Spiritualized with orchestra. Bella Union connection too. 

- David Byrne 

- Parquet Courts

- Stephen Malkmus 

- Mitski

- Stereolab

- Bill Callahan and Beirut (although they both played recently) 

Loads of great middle acts that they can have - Hand Habits, Steve Gunn, Michael Chapman, Cass Mccombs, Julia Jacklin, Bill Ryder Jones, Beak (confirmed), Foxwarren, Jenny Lewis, Delines

Edited by Nick07