2019 Predictions

qrdk

John Prine is in London on 6th September.   Would love to see him again.  Maybe he could drag Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires along?  Drifting into the realms of fantasy here.  Saw Anna Calvi at Green Man last year.  She was great.  Would love Sharon Van Etten too.

Be amazed if at least one of Calvi, Van Etten or Barnett aren't on the bill this year. The latter two would be Woods headline contenders and Anna Calvi would be high up the bill too considering she subbed Alabama Shakes & Grizzly Bear on Woods in 2012. 

You'd expect Aldous Harding will be back after having to pull out last year. 

Other names on tour in 2019 to throw intot he mix: Neko Case, Emmylou Harris, Rufus Wainwright, James Yorkston, EB The Younger, Villagers, Guided By Voices, Julia Jacklin, Let's Eat Grandma.

I'd thought we might get Courtney Barnett last year but it seems a bit less likely this year. She's done two UK tours with the current album already and looks like she's got a busy enough season down under during their summer. Unless she manages to find some time in there to record some new material she'll be flogging a pretty tired horse by August. Won't mind if I'm wrong though.

Be surprised if there aren't some names in common with that pitchfork article - Girlpool, say. Hopefully we'll get Stella Donnelly back already, she's got an album coming up and will be touring with band this time, and I'm going to say Pip Blom just because she / they have recently signed to Heavenly Records which gives them a decent chance of turning up sooner or later.

4 minutes ago, Declan said:

That's a long time ago. 

But despite EOTR evolving from it's rather narrow musical remit of the early days, those "alt-country" behemoths of yesteryear are still VERY much "End of the Road material". Just look at the headline slots Bill Callahan and Jeff Tweedy have played in the past couple of years. I can certainly see him still having a place on the bill and I, for one, would be very happy with that.

You've opened up an interesting side debate there - artists who've appeared at earlier EOTRs who wouldn't fit the festival now. I suppose you've got people such as Richard Hawley or Mumford & Sons who've drifted too deeply into the maintstream to work in 2019. Anyone else? (I know this is the predictions thread but can't be arsed to start a new one). 

12 minutes ago, Avon said:

You've opened up an interesting side debate there - artists who've appeared at earlier EOTRs who wouldn't fit the festival now. I suppose you've got people such as Richard Hawley or Mumford & Sons who've drifted too deeply into the maintstream to work in 2019. Anyone else? (I know this is the predictions thread but can't be arsed to start a new one). 

I must have missed Richard Hawley’s mainstream smash. :P

alt-J and Wolf Alice spring to mind. Also I hear Catfish and the Bottlemen played once.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

lol, that's funny if they had Mumfords and Catfish. How did they let that happen?

Catfish played the Thursday one year when it was all unadvertised in advance - think it was a Communion Records deal. Mumfords played twice before their first album, I think the first time they also backed Laura Marling.

Iain Archer played in 2009, then became a songwriter who works with Snow Patrol, Jake Bugg and James Bay.

On 1/8/2019 at 3:16 PM, Yoss said:

I'd thought we might get Courtney Barnett last year but it seems a bit less likely this year. She's done two UK tours with the current album already and looks like she's got a busy enough season down under during their summer. Unless she manages to find some time in there to record some new material she'll be flogging a pretty tired horse by August. Won't mind if I'm wrong though.

I'd be surprised if she misses another festival summer, though, and also miss both EOTR and Green Man twice - were I them I'd offer a Milk! Records Tipi takeover, bringing Jen Cloher, Tiny Ruins, Loose Tooth etc over and maybe Katie Harkin as she's been playing in Barnett's band and is due to unveil her solo material soon.

I'd love Sleater-Kinney but if they're only just starting in the studio I very much doubt they'd be ready to come over and reveal the new songs in time.

I don't know how many would be headline size but Bon Iver, Spoon, TV On The Radio and Torres are all due albums this year.